Bad or Good to take Photos of cache?

craig.b

:rolleyes:-->

QUOTE(craig.b @ Sep 2 2009, 10:54 PM) 4053011[/snapback]
Hi, I am new to geocaching and have noticed that there are not alot of pictures posted of the caches, areas etc... Is this not something good to do?... your comments, opinions?

Generally good, but you don't want to post "spoilers" that will give away the secret for future finders. Sometimes that means the hiding spot itself, sometimes it means the container. Figure out what the punchline would be, and don't leak it, and you should be fine. We like pictures!

Mostly pictures are very welcome!! You just need to be careful to not give away any special kind of hide techniques or any special camo job on the container. Nobody likes a "spoiler" on a creative hide. But feel free to post pictures of your caching group, scenery along the way, common cache containers, trees, flowers, birds etc......

Pictures are wonderful, and happily recieved by cache owners, as long as they are not spoilers of the cache hide itself.

There's several reasons, that I can think of, why you don't see very many pictures. One could be because some cache areas are not very picturesque. Another, is because some people just aren't into taking pictures. Another, is people take pictures, but then never get around to posting them. They forget, or don't have the time, etc. I sometimes see people post logs on my caches that say they took lots of pictures at the cache, but I may never see those pictures.

I'm one of those people who take lots of pictures, but don't post them like I should. I have a large gallery, but there's still lots of caches I haven't posted pictures to. There have been quite a few threads in the forums, encouraging people to post their cache pictures for us to see, and to post more pictures to their cache logs. I think looking at pictures of other people's experiences is one of the best things about the geocaching site! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ambrosia

ok cool feedback already, I am a complete newbie... but for me I like taking pictures and so far have done a bit of sharing interesting pics of things around the caches, little bit of what the caches look like, and me with the cache... so basic rule of thumb would be not to reveal the location of the cache-which makes perfect sense to me and have not done... I cant see anything wrong with sharing what cache looks like... the person looking does not have to look at these pics if they want the extreme challenge, the person who wants hints can have it kind of thing?

It depends on the cache. If the container isn't unusual and/or the cache description already says what it is, then it's probably ok to post a picture of it. But if the container is tricky or different or adds to the diffulty of finding the cache, then it would be considered a spoiler to post a picture of it.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy taking pictures and posting them to your cache logs. Keep up the good work, and have fun with your new hobby! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:-->

QUOTE(craig.b @ Sep 2 2009, 10:21 PM) 4053033[/snapback]

... I cant see anything wrong with sharing what cache looks like... the person looking does not have to look at these pics if they want the extreme challenge, the person who wants hints can have it kind of thing?

Yes but we should respect the time and care that may have gone into the creation of a special container. Respect the owners' hard work and time. There are some mighty unique and creative caches out there. Any photo at all of some of them would spoil the fun for all.

I hear you all... I agree to show the cache location, and what it looks like may be a spoiler for sure... but I think a photo proving you actually found the cache validates it vs. posting you found it ... maybe a photo of the log with my name with no characteristics of location/container is best

:ph34r:-->

QUOTE(craig.b @ Sep 2 2009, 10:37 PM) 4053048[/snapback]

I hear you all... I agree to show the cache location, and what it looks like may be a spoiler for sure... but I think a photo proving you actually found the cache validates it vs. posting you found it ... maybe a photo of the log with my name with no characteristics of location/container is best

Just sign the logbook - proof enough..... :rolleyes:

You mean like these? And that was a DNF.

As StarBrand says, signing the log is the universally accepted way of proving you found the cache. The exceptions are virtual caches and Earthcaches. Some virtuals ask you to post a photo of yourself as proof. Earthcaches generally require you to communicate with the owner (the only cache type for which this requirement is allowed).

Some cachers like to spread out the contents of the cache and post a photo saying "here's the condition of the cache". I never quite got that. My theory is that they are sensing types and I'm an intuitive type, if you're familiar with Jung/Meyers-Briggs terminology.

Edward

If there is something of interest nearby, I'll take pictures of that. But not in a way to be a spoiler for the cache.

I think you need to be careful here as well. If there is something of interest nearby, perhaps the intent of the CO in placing the cache was to bring geocacher to so that they could discover that interesting feature while in the process of finding the cache. There was a cache that I recently found that was about 100' from the road and near a very unique sculpture someone made. If pictures were posted of that sculpture it would spoil the surprise for anyone seeking that cache in the future that took the time to look at posted photos.

I've got a couple of caches that fall into the "I never realized this was here" category. One of them is a few hundred feet down a trail that begins from a parking lot. Most locals don't even realize that the trail exists. I have a photo of an interesting sign at the beginning of the trail but I would prefer to have geocachers where that trail leads but walking down it to find the cache, rather than have a bunch of pictures posted of what they'll find by taking the journey themselves.

One of the most common aspects of geocaching that Ive seen is that it allows us to discover new and interesting places or things. Discovering those things while in the act of searching for a geocache is much more enjoyable than discovering them by viewing photos online.

some people photograph every cache they find - Being careful not to post spoilers. 2 Particular nuts include these two:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....27-e22e1b0643a8

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....98-f61e52f61a86

In the words of one of them: "Pixels are free, and good. Almost nothing is any more"

Edited by Juicepig

Some cachers like to spread out the contents of the cache and post a photo saying "here's the condition of the cache". I never quite got that. My theory is that they are sensing types and I'm an intuitive type, if you're familiar with Jung/Meyers-Briggs terminology.

Your theory doesn't work for me. In Meyers-Briggs terminology I'm a ENTP (and pretty far to the extreme on both the N and T). Most of the photos I take are for me or for my friends. The cache contents photo is the one I take for other people. Here are the reaons I take those photos (in order of importance to me):

1. For the cache owner so that they can see in an objective fashion what remains in the cache and the condition of the cache. I can say that the log book is damp, but does that get the message across as well as this photo of us pouring out the water that filled nearly the entire cache? (I would never have included this awful photo if I hadn't believed it useful for the cache owner.)

cb17de46-65b4-4f94-a14e-8fbadb1875c1.jpg

2. For new cachers so that they can see what caches typically contain in our area. As a newbie I was extremely worried about what to bring to trade. Seeing other people's pictures of cache contents calmed me down enough that I was willing to go find a cache. So I'm paying forward my debt to others who included cache contents photos in their logs.

3. For travel bug owners whose TBs may be missing. I would find it comforting to be able to "look inside the cache" for my missing TB and even more comforted if I spotted my bug there.

4. I think seeing the historical progression of cache contents is kind of fun and I assume others enjoy that as well. So this is my small contribution to that.

Carolyn

:D--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(craig.b @ Sep 2 2009, 09:21 PM) 4053033[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

ok cool feedback already, I am a complete newbie... but for me I like taking pictures and so far have done a bit of sharing interesting pics of things around the caches, little bit of what the caches look like, and me with the cache... so basic rule of thumb would be not to reveal the location of the cache-which makes perfect sense to me and have not done...

I have a passion for geocaching, hiking, and photography. Combining all three makes for great trips. I posted 12 pictures on my 2nd to last find. None of them were spoilers (featuring the cache or the hide). When I want to geocaching, I commonly check the cache photo galleries to see what i'm going to experience.

I cant see anything wrong with sharing what cache looks like... the person looking does not have to look at these pics if they want the extreme challenge, the person who wants hints can have it kind of thing?

When someone spends hours handcrafting a cache that is designed to blend in with its surroundings, they usually don't want people to see pictures of the cache before they hunt for it. An image of the cache ruins the hunt for all of us cachers that enjoy the challenge of finding a high difficulty cache.

A single colored ammo can hidden on a remote peak, covered by nothing more than a few rocks is a different story. The challenge is getting to the ammo can, not finding a well camouflaged cache.

Edited by Kit Fox

For your own records/amusement/posterity: GOOD!

To be posted on the cache page: Not always good.

For many caches not knowing exactly what the container is makes all the difference in the fun/challenge/difficulty.

I would say we should always get approval from the owner when posting photos of the container, unless the type of container is clearly spelled out, and it hasn't been customized to any significant degree.

While I personally take a photo of every cache I find, for my own benefit, I would never post a photo of the cache or the immediate area of the hide. I don't particularly like it when I see other people's photos of a cache before I hunt it. I guess part of it is when I find it, I say to myself "yep, looks just like the photo I saw". This is true for me even for an unmodified ammo can. But I recognize others love posting/seeing photos of caches, so I normally don't look at the photo section before hunting.

:huh:-->

QUOTE(craig.b @ Sep 2 2009, 10:54 PM) 4053011[/snapback]

Hi, I am new to geocaching and have noticed that there are not alot of pictures posted of the caches, areas etc... Is this not something good to do?... your comments, opinions?

If the general area is a place worth taking a picture, go for it.

Click here: Photo Journal, Please share with us

Edited by BlueDeuce