Hiding a cache at home -- good or bad idea?

piratefarmers

We live on a five acre farm and have considered hiding a cache someplace near the front yard area. We can think of many reasons to do it yet also a few not to. While we have found geocachers to be quite pleasant, friendly, and respectful, we know not everyone in the world is. We have very minor concerns about property damage, but our main issue regards the safety of our kids. We aren't overprotective in most cases, yet this would present a unique situation. What do you think?

We live on a five acre farm and have considered hiding a cache someplace near the front yard area. We can think of many reasons to do it yet also a few not to. While we have found geocachers to be quite pleasant, friendly, and respectful, we know not everyone in the world is. We have very minor concerns about property damage, but our main issue regards the safety of our kids. We aren't overprotective in most cases, yet this would present a unique situation. What do you think?

My biggest concern would be late night or very early morning visits, even if you indicate not to do that on the cache page. You don't have a loud barking guard dog do you? Good coordinates and making the cache fairly easy to find should minimize the potential for property damage. As far as your kids safety, do they normally play in the front yard? Does the general public pass by in close proximity? I would like to think they would be safer in the vicinity of cachers than the general public, but that is a decision only you can make.

Since you have 5 acres is there someplace farther away from the front yard you could place the cache?

Of course, it would also have to be accessible for cachers & a place you are comfortable with strangers wandering around.

My biggest concern would be late night or very early morning visits, even if you indicate not to do that on the cache page. You don't have a loud barking guard dog do you? Good coordinates and making the cache fairly easy to find should minimize the potential for property damage. As far as your kids safety, do they normally play in the front yard? Does the general public pass by in close proximity? I would like to think they would be safer in the vicinity of cachers than the general public, but that is a decision only you can make.

We do have dogs and they would bark as they always do to let us know of visitors. The location I've been considering is close to the edge near the front of the property and would be pretty easy to get to without much in that area which could be easily ruined. I also appreciate your comment about cachers vs. the general public. As it stands I am considering going ahead with it. Thanks for all the advice.

As someone else said, with 5 acres you can place the cache pretty far from the house.

I personally don't like them. I usually pass on caches around someone's home. I did do one last year where the cache was in a bush close to road and the house was about 200 feet away (probably a piece of property about your size). I still felt very uncomfortable looking for the cache and almost didn't bother.

I noticed kid toys strewn about the lawn and driveway, so apparently they have children and do not see it as an issue.

Personally I love caches hidden at cacher's homes, at least I know I have permission to be there. All the ones that I have done at cacher's homes are pretty straight forward and I do tend to tread a little lighter, not that I normally tear things apart caching. Brian use to skip these but he doesn't now that he has done a couple. I do usually look at google earth when doing these so I make sure that I am in the right yard.

I've only been to 2 house caches.. the first one I think I drove up and down the street like 10 times, and then decided I didn't want to do it. The second one was in the backyard of the house, and I almost left when all of a sudden the homeowners came home, and then I felt more comfortable finding it. They turned out to be very nice.

But all in all, I think I would personally avoid them, so you may or may not get the traffic to them of a regular cache.

As a volunteer reviewer I try to caution hiders from placing a cache on their property and use wording similar to the quote below:

Depending on how close your neighbors live they may become concerned about unfamiliar vehicles and people in the area actively looking for something, or driving up and down the same street several times? Your neighbors may not understand what geocaching is and may call the police (with good reason) as geocaching may seem like a suspicious activity to them. Keep in mind that not all geocachers go out in the daytime. Are you prepared for the possibility of cachers on your property at 3:00 am?

Essentially you have given very specific details (precise coordinates!) to where you live and blanket permission for strangers to come onto your property. You have given these strangers a "code word" that will disarm the suspicions of your children, spouse, or roommate (or even yourself) "Good evening, are you a geocacher? I've come to meet and greet!" This code word will also disarm your neighbor's ordinary suspicions on your behalf ("Pay no attention to me and my crowbar -- I'm just geocaching over here"). All of the geocachers I have met have been fine people. But your listing is visible to others, too. Should there be any incident, you have no way of knowing who took advantage of your invitation to visit since it will be published and available to anyone worldwide.

this is the personal opinion of a concerned geocacher who is also the Father of 2 young children and has nothing to do with my role as a geocaching.com reviewer. You are free to ignore this message and do as you please. But I wanted you to hear my concerns about your safety and that of your family and neighbors.

The final decision is yours, but keep in mind the cautions outlined above.

These go immediately on my IGNORE list. It's a great big world. Think beyond your front yard.

Hey PirateFarmers! I've seen your caches poping up in the area recently and had it not been for my current schedule I'd have been running for some FTF's.

RE: the front yard cache - the dogs barking will be a turn off for most cachers. It's a bit unnerving even if you are a 'dog person' when you are approaching or on private property and the pups are doing their job.

Maybe a nice ammo can over near the Smith Berry Winery? You find the spot, contact me and I'll co-own it with ya and provide the 7.62mm ammo can. I've never been over there but I'm way over due a tasting.

There are differing opinions given here and different factors have been mention for consideration.

We had a cache in our front garden for about 3 years (now archived). It was the final for a puzzle cache. We told our immediate neighbours about it - they already knew we did this odd hobby anyway. We made the hint give very clear indication that it was the right spot. We put a sign in our front window, visible from the garden gate, which said "Geocaching spoken here". We didn't have any dogs, or young children.

There were no problems with it and we met a lot of cachers and had chats and cups of tea/coffee with them.

I think it all depends on your location and all the other personal factors involved.

Some seekers will enjoy it, as long as they feel confident that they're in the right place to search. Others, as mentioned by some above, will dislike the idea and will ignore the cache.

In the end only you can decide whether you're totally happy with your cache plan.

MrsB :P

I Have Found 2 cache's near me in people Front yard and met one of the owners while caching... It was Fun and the owner that I met was a real nice guy that donated a cache to us for deployment....

We have considered it, but making it a "premium members" only cache to keep down the numbers. However, we would let our immediate neighbours know and would probably place the hide where it would be quick and easy to find, no need to enter the front yard, back yard. Someone was poking around our yard once and our neighbours called the police (there have been break-ins further down the street) and although our area is rural, we can see the neighbours across the street and almost see next-door. We have been mulling it over for a while now.....I would love to see fellow cachers on the hunt. But, I don't want them finding a police car after they have made the find!

We have one and enjoy watching people find it. We have met quite a few cachers this way. Most are kind of apprehensive about searching for it at first even though the cache page states it was hidden with the land owners permission. If we see someone coming to search we usually go out and tell them they are in the right location and it usually makes them feel better about searching. We were thinking we need to put some kind of geocaching sign in the front yard so people know when they drive by with a puzzled look on their faces that yes their gps is telling them the right location.

Be prepared to see people around your house at night.

Be prepared to hearnoisy people.

Be prepared to large crowds coming together.

I am a "dog person" and will stay far away from barking dogs. No matter how much I like them, some dogs still want to shred me to pieces.

If you have to place it on private property, even if not right next to the house, make sure cachers know it is your land and they have a permission to be there.

I personally stay far away from fish-bowl caches, i.e. those where people will be watching me search.