anyone have a suggestion on how to buff these out

BVnLJ

I have this set of 5th anniversary coins I purchased on ebay. They came scuffed like the pictures show. I asked C & P if they knew of a way to fix this and Aaron said what he tried just made it cloudy looking. Do any of you maybe have an idea on how I can get the marks out. Thanks

spice island in the box

inbox1.jpg

spice island out of the box

outofbox1.jpg

antarctic in the box

inbox2.jpg

antarctic out of the box

outofbox2.jpg

do you know what material it is, plastic , plexi glass , or glass? thats a toughy because i would need a testor to try a few things. i would try a buffer with the pollish that comes with a dremel,, i would also try a solution like goof off,, but its hard to say with out totally ruining one!! :rolleyes: hopefully someone here can help a lil more.

do you know what material it is, plastic , plexi glass , or glass? thats a toughy because i would need a testor to try a few things. i would try a buffer with the pollish that comes with a dremel,, i would also try a solution like goof off,, but its hard to say with out totally ruining one!! :rolleyes: hopefully someone here can help a lil more.

Try using a regular "car headlight cleaning cream". Apply it to a regular rug and try to wipe it. It should work for both plastic or regular glass. In anyways it shouldn't hurt the whatever material you got. But remember its just my opinion.

Here is a thought, try going to an aquarium store and ask them what to use for buffing out scratches in acrylic fish tanks. I don't know that it would damage them more or not...

disclaimer: JohnMac56 can not be held responsible for any further damage occuring to your coins by following his advice. However if you follow his advice and it fixes the problem then JohnMac56 will take all the credit...

there's stuff you can use on the clear fronts of mobile phones to get out scratches but you HAVE to know what the plastic is. I wonder if it is the same stuff they use on DVD's and cds to remove scratches?

yu could check out your nearest movie rental place

Sometimes the kits are sold as ibook cleaners. Basically it melts the acrylic a little and smooths it out. then you buff it

you will find them for sale on amazon. Displex is one

Edited by forthferalz

Maybe I am missing something, but seems we are missing the obvious...

My Grandmother washed windows with Vinegar and newspaper, still works the best.

She also polished scratches in her glasses with toothpaste, She told me that the new stuff was

junk as it did not have enough abrasive in it, in the past that was Baking Soda.

So try some toothpaste, failing that try some Baking Soda and water paste it works for me.

I have used this on Watch faces, and even the car headlights, just do not want to buy the store stuff previously mentioned.

Edited by The Finding Irish 4

I couldn't get the kiln paper gunk perfectly off the back of the proof glassgeocoins with either vinegar, bicarb or toothpaste so Pabloturtle used a jewellers rouge to polish them up.

this site has rouges for plastics and a contact you can ask for expert help

http://www.craftics.com/products.cfm?Category=4

you don't want to abrade carelessly as that would make it even milkier like Aaron's

although anything for teeth has to be fairly soft some toothpastes do more harm than good while whitening! the other common plastic is called 'polycarbonate' eg on headlights and ibooks

this site which has a good discussion which covers polishing ipods warns to take care with your choice of cloth-

"Apply these products according to the directions on the package, using a clean terry/cotton cloth, a Pec*Pad, or a non wood pulp-based polishing cloth like a WypAll pad. Paper products contain tiny splinters of wood and will haze your iPod finish with tiny scratches."

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/ipod/topic2419.html

thank you all for the suggestions....I emailed Aaron once again and asked if he knew specifically what the covering over the compass was made of and am waiting on a reply. I was afraid to do anything until I knew what to do for sure as I don't want to ruin these even further.

thank you all for the suggestions....I emailed Aaron once again and asked if he knew specifically what the covering over the compass was made of and am waiting on a reply. I was afraid to do anything until I knew what to do for sure as I don't want to ruin these even further.

good choice!!! and good luck . :P