Manually enter waypoints

Initium

I am the new owner of a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx.

According to the manual I can enter waypoint data manually.

However I cannot seem to figure out how and the owners manual leaves MUCH to be desired on this (and many other) topic.

I have the data for several locations I would like to put into the GPS without actually going there.

For instance lets say I see a Geocache I want to put into my device. How do do that?

I dont want to project it using azimuth and distance from a known location.

Help!

Ed Fernley

To manually enter the waypoint do the following:

1. Press and hold the "Find" button.

2. Select "Waypoints" from the menu.

3. Press and hold the joystick (the mini-stick on the face of the unit).

4. Using the joystick, click down to/highlight the window with the Lat/Long data and click on it once.

5. Using the joystick, enter the Lat/Long data for the Waypoint. This can require some patience until you get the hang of it...

6. Be sure to click "OK" twice (once to finish entering the Lat/Long data and once more at the bottom to SAVE it to your unit).

That's how you do it manually. Or you can use the websites applet, and a USB cable, to transfer the coordinates right from the site to your device automatically. Very simple, very easy. Still, you should know how to enter coordinates manually as well if you ask me. Fully agree with you, by the way, about the documentation that comes (or doesn't come (ha!)) with these units... It leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by Jupiter_Jack

To manually enter the waypoint do the following:

1. Press and hold the "Find" button.

2. Select "Waypoints" from the menu.

3. Press and hold the joystick (the mini-stick on the face of the unit).

4. Using the joystick, click down to/highlight the window with the Lat/Long data and click on it once.

5. Using the joystick, enter the Lat/Long data for the Waypoint. This can require some patience until you get the hang of it...

6. Be sure to click "OK" twice (once to finish entering the Lat/Long data and once more at the bottom to SAVE it to your unit).

That's how you do it manually. Or you can use the websites applet and a USB cable to transfer the coordinates right to your device from the website automatically.

Fully agree with you, by the way, about the documentation that comes with these units. It leaves an awful lot to be desired.

WOW Thank you for the fast response! I posted that same question on the Garmin forum and 685 people viewed it and not one offered a suggestion.

Ed

WOW Thank you for the fast response! I posted that same question on the Garmin forum and 685 people viewed it and not one offered a suggestion.

Glad I could help. Being somewhat new to a Garmin eTrex Legend myself, I quickly empathized with your frustration over the crummy documentation.

Come on, Garmin... You can do better!!

I am the new owner of a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx.

According to the manual I can enter waypoint data manually.

However I cannot seem to figure out how and the owners manual leaves MUCH to be desired on this (and many other) topic.

Just press and hold the Rocker button to create a new waypoint then accept or edit the waypoint as desired.