Camo paint for my new cache

Ragged Robin

suitable for plastic so it wont melt the cache container.

Robin,

Try "Krylon Camouflage" spray paint (hope it's available where you live -- I get it from the local Mall*Wart). That even works on a Dollar Store plastic Lock-N-Lock. If you're painting slick flexible plastic, rough it up a little with emery cloth first.

Edited by kunarion

Robin,

Try "Krylon Camouflage" spray paint (hope it's available where you live -- I get it from the local Mall*Wart). That even works on a Dollar Store plastic Lock-N-Lock. If you're painting slick flexible plastic, rough it up a little with emery cloth first.

Agreed. I believe most Wal-Marts have this. If I remember right, you can get it in black, tan, green, and brown. Get a can of each and go wild! :blink:

Robin,

Thanks.....will look into it.

RR

Do you all use a template of some sort?

Or do you paint it all in a base color and then add other colors on top in random circles/lines?

If you break up the shape of the container with natural colors, and it blends well into the background, you're good to go.

But you can make it more interesting with a template. I painted a box green, then found ferns and other leaves, laid out the leaves, and over-painted in brown. There's a local cache that has "animal tracks" from a handmade stencil. Think of a creative version of "camo", and you can make a more memorable container.

Edited by kunarion

Another vote for the Krylon Fusion Camo Paints. They are 'Ultra Flat' and have a great no glare finish. I've only got two caches hidden right now but they are dollar store lock n locks that I painted with the Krylon paints. They look great and are holding up wonderfully.

Remember, give your paint at least 48 hours to cure in low humidity before placing in the wild. I gave mine about a week just due to my schedule but the tackiness was gone after about 2 days.

The cost for the quality paints is higher, but the benefit to me is way beyond the price. You can go with a cheaper container and the paint will provide a no glare finish that will help protect the plastic from the UV of the sun and other elements.

I will be using the same paints for my ammo cans that I have and hope to place soon.

Best of luck.

Or do you paint it all in a base color and then add other colors on top in random circles/lines?

I use a base of a flat, green. Then I just use random squirts of black and brown. Sometimes if I'm feeling

creative I use an oak leaf as a template, laying it on the container, spraying, them moving it and spraying it Comes out nice. See the one in the back, below:

ac6ec50c-5637-46d0-92ca-c55820d952c4.jpg

Here is the oak leaf pattern along with the random splotch method.

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

Edited by briansnat

I use a base of a flat, green. Then I just use random squirts of black and brown. Sometimes if I'm feeling

creative I use an oak leaf as a template, laying it on the container, spraying, them moving it and spraying it Comes out nice. See the one in the back, below:

ac6ec50c-5637-46d0-92ca-c55820d952c4.jpg

Here is the oak leaf pattern along with the random splotch method.

edf83031-10c3-4391-a24b-3d5a3883dbc0.jpg

Very nice Briansnat - I like 'em. I'm donating an ammo can at the 2009 Indiana Fall Picnic next weekend and have to paint it this weekend. I'm going to use that concept along with my Krylon paints on the 50cal can. I've got a nice Pin Oak in the yard that will gladly donate some stencil leaves :P

I need to get the lettering stencil one of these days.

Popoki Nui is becoming the dab hand at this...sands Lock'n'Locks, quick spray with whatever the base coat(s) is(are) to be, when dry, uses fallen twigs, branches with fronds (fir and cedar work well), or leaves as stencils to spray the next coat. Tremclad or Krylon, or anything you can paint plastic patio furniture with. Make sure it is matt. Even a straight black has worked well - in a certain location :anibad: ! Main colours used are black, sand and green. Thanks for the tip on WM's pricing...what brands should we look for please?

Oh - plenty of fresh air when doing this is a good idea, but we all know that....