Take over dead cache

tekkguy

Can you take over a dead cache? There was a cache very, very close to my house that is now gone. It was placed in 2004, and the owner has not logged in since 2006. I was going to flag it as needs archived, but I wouldn't mind taking over the cache if there's a way to do that. I could replace it and then maintain it, since it's so close (less than 1000 feet!).

Would it be better to ask for it to be archived, and then start a new one? Or is there a way to keep this one from dying?

If the cache is gone post an SBA. When it is archived place your own cache in the area.

There are two problems with you adopting it. First is that Groundspeak will not transfer ownership. They can't because they don't own the cache. You would need the original owner to start the process. Second is the fact that there is nothing there to adopt. It would be like adopting a childs birth certificate but not the child.

Can you take over a dead cache? There was a cache very, very close to my house that is now gone. It was placed in 2004, and the owner has not logged in since 2006. I was going to flag it as needs archived, but I wouldn't mind taking over the cache if there's a way to do that. I could replace it and then maintain it, since it's so close (less than 1000 feet!).

Would it be better to ask for it to be archived, and then start a new one? Or is there a way to keep this one from dying?

Archive, then start a new one.

BUT> If it's still getting visits, just keep an eye on it.

Always worth having a word with your local reviewer if you do this, so they know the cache is being looked after.

You might want to email the owner first and ask for adoption.

Since you can't officially adopt it you can become its god-parent and perform maintenance on it. I have done this. Replace the trashed container and removed all of the destroyed swag and salvaged anything that might be salvageable. Then I add new swag to fill it up.

If you remove the old container you can always email the owner and tell them you have it if they want it.

I thought about just putting it back and watching over it, but it would be difficult, since notes about it, etc go to the old owner.

I'll try emailing the old owner and see what happens ... if I don't get a response, I'll mark it SBA ... after all, the old owner hasn't been on in 3 years, so my email might not even work.

Nope, it's a no go on the email.

"Unverified User"

I'll mark it as archive and when it's gone I'll place a new one. It's on a pedestrian bridge, so there's only room for a nano, really (original cache was a hide-a-key which is probably why it's gone now ... I can't imagine a hide-a-key being very well hidden on a chain-link post).

Thanks, everyone!

If the cache is gone post an SBA. When it is archived place your own cache in the area.

Edit: Yep! Unless the cache has some interesting history or the hider is significant in some way it doesn't really serve much purpose to adopt it.

...Second is the fact that there is nothing there to adopt. It would be like adopting a childs birth certificate but not the child.

It is the listing and the history that we adopt, the container is usually replaceable. Why, just last week I adopted a cache with a missing container that I promptly replaced.

But your child analogy is hilarious!

Edited by Team Sagefox

Going through the same thing, I really just wanted to restore it but wanted it to be official (didn't want to do watchlist adoption), but that ownership policy trumps. So now we're in the 14 day notification waiting period. After 14 days with no contact, archive the old and place the new. Then everything is by the book.

For what it is worth, If I were the OP I would toss that nano and walk up into the woods and place an ammo can!! B):D

For what it is worth, If I were the OP I would toss that nano and walk up into the woods and place an ammo can!! B):P

Oh, I'll probably do that at some point ... but I like the idea of having one close to home that I can really keep an eye on ... even if it is tiny.

I did report it as SBA ... once it is, I'll post a new one.

Edited by tekkguy