Why aren't cache owners notified when a finder changes their log?

W8TTS

Owner notifications for changes of log contents and for picture uploads would really be great.

Even if that means that I would get some E-Mails if people eliminate typos.

It could be worse, like people completely changing the contents of their logs or load up spoiler pictures without any kind of notification.

Because currently most (maybe all?) notices are triggered by log type, not whats in the log.

Change the trigger. Or, allow the CO to choose the type of notification with the minimal being what it is now.

Good. Of course it would be easier to just not allow people to edit logs or log type so they are forced to use the current trigger :P.

Perhaps the same trigger that adds the dreaded 'This log was edited by AZcachemeister...' text to the log could be used to send a note to the owner as well?

Most typos get corrected fairly quickly.

Most photos get uploaded fairly soon as well, but there is no provision made to note edits or additions. Any of the caption can be edited at will to say whatever you like, and the only way to know is to look at them.

I do think owner-notification of changes in log type and content would be helpful, but maybe there is an argument there that if you have so many caches out that you can't review all the logs on a regular basis, then you have too many caches.

I wish there was a spell check option on the log page. I usually end up typing up a longer log in my MS Word, check the spelling, and then copy and paste it to the log page. (This also helps when my server and/or geocaching.com hiccups and I loose my log.

I wish there was a spell check option on the log page. I usually end up typing up a longer log in my MS Word, check the spelling, and then copy and paste it to the log page. (This also helps when my server and/or geocaching.com hiccups and I loose my log.

There are ways in some browsers, Firefox for one, that spell check on the fly. It's part of the product all you have to do is turn it on.

notice if the log type changes

yes, I agree...........also if pictures are uploaded.

I agree with that one. Since the email has the text of a log, I rarely click through and view the actual logs. This means that many of my listings have pictures added that I don't even know about, unless I go and view the gallery for every single listing. I would love to get notification of photos that are added to my listing...or even better, I would love to be able to view a gallery of all the images other people have placed on my listings(seperate from my own gallery of uploads)

notice if the log type changes

yes, I agree...........also if pictures are uploaded.

I agree with that one. Since the email has the text of a log, I rarely click through and view the actual logs. This means that many of my listings have pictures added that I don't even know about, unless I go and view the gallery for every single listing. I would love to get notification of photos that are added to my listing...or even better, I would love to be able to view a gallery of all the images other people have placed on my listings(seperate from my own gallery of uploads)

If something like this is implemented I would hope that it is as an option so that can be opted out. I am sure the people with hundreds of hides see enough emails about their caches and may not want many more. Also many people have seen the effect of GC.com being blocked or buffered by ISPs in the thought that the emails are SPAM, and adding more emails would increase the likelyhood of this happening more often.

I like the idea, but I think it should be an option.

MYater

OPTIONS!!!

I wouldn't want to have more emails than what I'm getting now. Groundspeak is notorious of removing options and going with the majority no matter how functional the option is. (Sometimes it probably not even the majority but the squeakiest.)

A better solution: send an single email when anything changes. In that email would be a link to a new page. This new page lists everything that has changed and only for those things you want notified on. You don't get another email until you log onto the site and then something else changes. If you don't log on but once a week, you'll get a week of updates.

What would this page have? All logs on caches you own that have a change: new logs, edits, and additions. It could also, optionally include changes to and new logs on caches that you watch or bookmark. New instant notifications. All optional. All set to what kind of delivery: instant, one notification per log on, weekly, etc. You could have it reset on log on to the site or to that update page. Options!

The advantage to this is if you're OCD, you can go and look at what's changed every time you get an email. If you're interested, but not compelled to check every time, you can put it off without your inbox getting filled up. If you don't care, you can check the page when ever you get around it, if ever.

The advantage to this is Groundspeak would not have to send out so many emails, you get your updates, and the information is served up to the user's liking.

The above suggestion has great merit! However, I would add a checkbox for each item so you could mark it as "read" rather that a complete reset upon logon. Many times I check my mail (or this page) but don't have the time to read all of it at the moment.

As for getting updates, I'm for receiving some sort of notice when a log changes. We were on vacation this past week and logged several caches in the field via my wife's phone. Those little keyboards keep you from doing a good log so we just entered "TFTC". Each evening I would go to the list of found caches in "My Profile" and edit all the logs with much better narratives. However, the CO would never know of the updates unless he looked at each page. Thus, updates to logs would do that.

Why aren't cache owners notified when a finder changes their log? As the owner of some caches I'd really like to know when a logger changes their log. Just a notification like when the the original find is logged would be fine.

I won't change my log. :) I'm not a smiley chaser. We just cache for fun as that is all that matters to us.

OPTIONS!!!

I wouldn't want to have more emails than what I'm getting now. Groundspeak is notorious of removing options and going with the majority no matter how functional the option is. (Sometimes it probably not even the majority but the squeakiest.)

A better solution: send an single email when anything changes. In that email would be a link to a new page. This new page lists everything that has changed and only for those things you want notified on. You don't get another email until you log onto the site and then something else changes. If you don't log on but once a week, you'll get a week of updates.

What would this page have? All logs on caches you own that have a change: new logs, edits, and additions. It could also, optionally include changes to and new logs on caches that you watch or bookmark. New instant notifications. All optional. All set to what kind of delivery: instant, one notification per log on, weekly, etc. You could have it reset on log on to the site or to that update page. Options!

The advantage to this is if you're OCD, you can go and look at what's changed every time you get an email. If you're interested, but not compelled to check every time, you can put it off without your inbox getting filled up. If you don't care, you can check the page when ever you get around it, if ever.

The advantage to this is Groundspeak would not have to send out so many emails, you get your updates, and the information is served up to the user's liking.

I like this one.

OPTIONS!!!

I like this one.

It does have merit.