GPS Systems

she-tnt

I am considering a new hand held GPS.

I am currently using an older Garmin eTrex that has no computer interface. I want to be able to download way points instead of entering them individually by hand.

I think that I would like to stick with the Garmin eTrex series however, I am not set on that point.

Is it possible to show multiple way points simultaneously on a map, such as, showing all geocaches in a vicinity? (Are there any Garmins, or others, with this option/ability?)

What units do you have or have you tried?

What do you like/dislike about different models and which ones?

What do you look for in a Geocaching GPS unit?

Thank you for reading and/or commenting on this post!

She-tnt

I've had three different Garmins - for different reasons, but all used for geocaching. My favorite is the 60csx (or the 60cx for a little less $$). It handles maps, waypoints and everything else I want a GPSr to do (I use a PDA for cache details). I've played with some of the other brands a little, but learned the Garmin style of menus, and so, prefer it.

Our first GPSr handheld is the Garmin eTrex H (still have it) got it for around $100. Used it for over a year & a few months. Got a Deal on a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. Still trying to get use to using this new one (New to us) We used if heavy the past few weeks on some new caches in our area & it get's us close but not like the eTrex H does. We was hunting this one cache & using the 60 & it was taking us to the other side of the road away from the cache. Hunted for like 20 minutes. Broke out the Old Yeller (The eTrex H) & it put us right on it & has done it many times since. We now load them both from our GASK but use Old Yeller mainly for our hides to hunt for them when they get a few DNF's. Be surprized when you go back to your hides & it's not where you thought it was & use the GPSr & there it is where you put it,,lol

I'll put Old Yeller up against any high dollar unit. Sure, It don't have the Maps & stuff like the 60CSx. But it sure will put you on top of the cache no matter with Tree cover, Buffs,,etc,,etc around.

For a cheap unit I like the Magellan Meridians. The last 3 I bought averaged about $35 a piece. You can load tons of waypoints and they take maps. Once you own maps you can use them on multiple units. Maps are cheap on eBay ($25?) and I know some folks have downloaded them from other places online.

This is the unit I use when I am not using my Oregon.

I use the Garmin Colorado 400T and I love it. When you do a Geocaching PQ you can download tons to the unit (I don't even know how many I have loaded at a time) with just a couple of clicks and seconds later they are all loaded. You can look at the map on the unit and see all of the caches and when you mark them found they change to a different color. There really isn't anything I dislike about it - it is totally paperless caching and that is the best of all!!!! We also have a Garmin Nuvi 660 that we can download all the caches to instantly that we use for navigation in the car. Makes it all so easy that way. Good luck.

I am considering a new hand held GPS.

I am currently using an older Garmin eTrex that has no computer interface. I want to be able to download way points instead of entering them individually by hand.

I think that I would like to stick with the Garmin eTrex series however, I am not set on that point.

Is it possible to show multiple way points simultaneously on a map, such as, showing all geocaches in a vicinity? (Are there any Garmins, or others, with this option/ability?)

What units do you have or have you tried?

What do you like/dislike about different models and which ones?

What do you look for in a Geocaching GPS unit?

Thank you for reading and/or commenting on this post!

She-tnt

My vote is for the Magellan Triton 400 or 500 (if you want the 3 axis compass). I have the 500 and the 1500 and absolutely love them. Magellan has worked out all the bugs (finally) and the Triton is now a rock solid unit.

Its almost fully paperless (no logs) but that’s not a big deal for me since I use Cacheberry on my Blackberry, which can hold an unlimited about of caches BTW, very cool.

The Tritons are very easy to use since they don’t have a lot of extra screens that some other GPS’r have. Pretty basic, no non-sense units.

The computer software is called VantagePoint and its pretty much drag and drop. I download a 500-cache pocket query, drag it into the VantagePoint window and click the sync button. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

The 500 and the 400 are pretty much the same with the exception of the 3-axis Electronic Compass and Barometer (both of which I have yet to use but some Cacher’s swear by it.)

Both of these units will hold 2000 caches BTW.

Good Luck with whatever you decide

Lets see - I currently own:

• A Garmin eTrex Legend (old blue one)
  • eTrex camo
  • eTrex Venture Cx
  • GPS Map 60C
  • 2 Garmin Rino 120s
  • 2 Garmin eTrex Legen HCx Units
  • 1 Garmin Colorado 300
  • 1 Garmin Oregon 200
  • 1 Lowrance Endura Out&Back

My favorite on that list is the Colorado 300 for the paperless Geocaching features and rock solid performance in just about any condition. Tie for 2nd place with the Oregon and Out&back. #rd is the Legend HCx units. All show multiple waypoints on the screens and all have a computer interface.

All will get me to the caches - just some with a bit more style.

Greetings! I'm glad you're not absolutely set on the eTrex GPSr line. I spent over $200 on an eTrex Vista HCx based on so many people saying how great it was and I was greatly disappointed with it. If you're interested in my thoughts both pro and con on the Vista feel free to click on my screen name and then on my profile page click on the send me an E-Mail link and I'll be happy to provide you with a couple reasons why a Vista could be a good choice and a couple reasons why I'd avoid it like the plague.

Since you asked what GPSr people would recommend let me talk about the unit that in my opinion can't be beat by other GPSr's that are priced in the same price range or less. Without a doubt I'd say the Delorme PN-30 is the best option out there at this time. Yeah, it's not a Garmin, but that's ok because it works great, has lots of features you can't get on a Garmin for the same price point and it's completely paperless caching!

Lets start out with talking about price. Right now you can pick up the Delorme PN-30 for a mere $199.99 at REI.com . That's the same as what you'll pay for a Garmin Vista HCx and less than you'd pay for Garmin 60 CSx. What does that money get you? Well you get a GPSr that comes with the following maps all included at no extra cost in the box with your GPSr: U.S. topo maps, U.S. street maps, street maps for the entire country of Canada and street maps for the entire country of Mexico. What does Garmin give you for maps included when you by an eTrex or a 60 CSx? Nada. Well unless you consider a base map that is almost useless because it's so basic at being something great.

Next lets talk about reception. I love the accuracy of my PN-40. By the way a PN-40 is the same as a PN-30, but it has an altimeter and an electronic compass and the PN-30 doesn't have those 2 features. If those are important to you REI.com has the PN-40 right now for only $259.99 . Ok, the consistent accuracy of my PN-40 puts my old eTrex Vista HCx to shame. With my Vista I had to follow my nephew into the woods because his little basic starter GPSr would consistently point toward the cache 98% of the time while my Vista would point everywhere but at the cache location. That's pretty bad for a high sensitivity unit to be out performed in the woods by a beginners unit that was not equipped with high sensitivity components. Now since I've upgraded to a PN-40 my GPSr consistently points towards the cache and is darned accurate in distance to the cache also.

Ok, I've been talking about good stuff about the PN series by Delorme so now lets talk about what's great! Unlike the Garmin eTrex units and the Garmin 60 CSx the PN-30 is completely paperless! If you're not familar with paperless caching that means that on your GPSr you see everything you see on the cache description pages on gc.com . The only things you won't see on your unit that you would see on gc.com is pictures and graphics. Also, you'll only get the 5 most recent cache logs, but compared to non-paperless caching even getting 5 is great!

Well, I went from good points of the PN-30 to something that is great so now let me close by telling you where Garmins units can't even come remotely close to beating the PN series GPSr's. Don't forget that with your new PN-30 you get a ton of free maps that Garmin would be happy to sell you for a couple hundred extra dollars for comparable maps for their units. What the PN-30 has that Garmin owners can only dream of is for a mere $29.99 for a year you can download as many aerial photos as you want directly to your GPSr. To help you visualize it imagine having small versions of Google Earth pictures on your GPSr screen and imposed over them is the symbols showing where caches are located. Let me give you an example of a hypothetical scenario where the aerial imagery could be very useful.

Lets say I'm looking for geocache GCXYZ123 and I check out ground zero on the aerial imagery that I downloaded to my GPSr. Now before I even pull out of my driveway I know the following:

1. The cache is located on the South side of a big retail store type of building.

2. The cache is setting just inside a small clump of trees.

3. The nearest parking will be at the school next door.

4. Wait a school? That's not good since I'm a middle aged man caching by myself. Yep I can go hunt for the cache, but if I do it during school hours there's a good chance I'll spend a fair amount of time explaining to my towns police that no I'm not really a dirty old man stalking children at the school. So just by looking at the aerial imagery I know it would really be a good idea to wait an hour or so after school lets out so I don't have to spend part of my day chatting with a suspicious police officer.

Now don't forget I can tell all of the above before I even leave my driveway. Now that's what I call getting a lot of bang for your buck!

Good luck in finding a GPSr that will do everything you want and at a comfortable price for you! If you want more info on the Delorme PN series GPSr's I'd suggest reading the threads here on the Technology forum where the pros and cons of Delormes PN series GPSr's have been discussed pretty vigorously. :D

Edit to add a P.S. The only downside to the PN series that I've seen so far is the fact that yep they do deplete batteries quicker than say an eTrex. For me that's not even something to worry about though since I gain so much by owning a PN series GPSr that having to carry 2 AA batteries with me while caching or buying a car recharging kit is well worth it to own what I feel is the best GPSr available in it's price range. B)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

LMAO!!!! That was a great story!!

Thank you all for the info.

I have read so much here as well as other sights. Pros and cons for all of the units listed above......

I am so confused!!! I leave to vacation in Canada in 2 weeks where we intend to Geocache, and I wanted my new unit for then.

I wanted paperless. My daughter wants paper. Go figure!!

I want something that I can bring home, open the box, download my way points, and head on out.

I want accuracy as well as ability, in dense areas, and ease of use.... all for under $200.

I must say that I would like the DeLorme pn-30 or 40 ($259@REI) the most,.... but I am very afraid of all that I have heard about the battery failures and shut downs as well as general low battery life.

If I take the chance on this one, I would have to get a car charger kit for sure!

What to do, what to do!!?

I have read so much here as well as other sights. Pros and cons for all of the units listed above......

I am so confused!!! I leave to vacation in Canada in 2 weeks where we intend to Geocache, and I wanted my new unit for then.

I want something that I can bring home, open the box, download my way points, and head on out.

I want accuracy as well as ability, in dense areas, and ease of use.... all for under $200.

I must say that I would like the DeLorme pn-30 or 40 ($259@REI) the most,.... but I am very afraid of all that I have heard about the battery failures and shut downs as well as general low battery life.

If I take the chance on this one, I would have to get a car charger kit for sure!

Did somebody say car charger?

12VDC (Car) PN-40 Charger:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10993613

You can run your PN-30 in your car with this.

However, it will not recharge AA, NiMH type rechargeables.

It will recharge these while in the PN-30:

Delkin Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery Pack(I have used this):

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/shop/del...nrsllit8gi3gna7

Personally, I'd BUY! :D You can return the unit should it turn out not to be what you want!

As an owner of the PN-40, I can tell you I LOVE my ORANGE! The paperless caching is awesome, no lugging of printouts or taking notes at all, and no forgetting which caches were found and when...all done on the unit and you can upload the finds right to GC.com via field notes!

Battery life...not good, but easy to remedy with the power kit. A pair of rechargeable Duracell HD's last around 11 hours, if you buy a set and charger, you're likely good to go as well!

The beauty of the PN is you get the maps right in the box. Routing doesn't cost extra like it does on all other brands!

Just my 2 cents, I suggest you look around, ask questions and read a LOT of the threads in here as well as any reviews you can find (amazon.com has a good amount for each product...as do most other online stores). Do your homework and you should come away happy in the end!

Good luck!

I am so confused!!! I leave to vacation in Canada in 2 weeks where we intend to Geocache, and I wanted my new unit for then. . . . . . .

No doubt there continue to be some incidents of power related PN-40 problems, but reports of such problems have fallen way off. Instead of a rise in reported incidents in the heat of late summer, it seems to this PN-40 user and observer that the latest Delorme firmware upgrades developed for the PN-40 may be responsible for a marked decrease in such reports on both PN-40s and newly released PN-30s.

Battery life (per charge) does vary from one device to another, but with an extra pair or two home recharged NiMH AA cells, even the most industrious geocacher can make it through the day.

(The Li-ion R.CR-V3 battery for the PN-30/40 is indeed rechargeable in the device, and can last through the day if it is plugged into the car's 12v system a good part of the time. But carry a pair of NiMH cells for Li-ion backup if venturing very far afield.) Good luck whatever your decision.

I'll tell you what to do... Go for it. That's an order.

See? Problem solved!

Then simply keep the box and all the "stuffing" as well as your receipt. REI is awesome about accepting returns (even without a receipt but it'll make it just that much easier) if you decide the PN-xx isn't your cup of tea.

Also, bear in mind the batteries you use can have a big impact on how long you can go. I keep a few sets of Lithium Ion AA's for my Garmin and leave one pair in the charger at all times. Then, just before I head out to go hike or cache or whatever, I swap out the batteries in the unit for the ones in the charger so I know I'm leaving the house with a fully juiced set of batteries. I take a spare set along with for long hikes, just in case.

Edited by Jupiter_Jack

I'll confuse you more - the Lowrance Endura Out&Back is fully paperless right out of the box - has decent battery life and GREAT geocaching features including the ability to filter caches out in the field. Drag and drop cache interface. All for about $175 online. I admit that it is a new on the market product with a few minor glitches but works well enough right now and I am certain downloadable upgrades will address any issues.

I am using ZorroGPS and it is fine. I like its reaction speed and its various functions. It could add as many waypoints as you want and show them all on the map. I can change their orders easily. It could record the GPS tracks. Simulation is also a function that I favor. Besides, there are many setting tool for me to use. It is a great stuff! I spend just 107 dollars.