Rechargeable Batteries

gfk.jr

I just purchased a new Oregon 200 and wanted to know what type of rechargeable batteries work best for GPS units. Does anyone have any suggestions or types that have worked well for them?

I use the hybrids myself mostly Sanyo Eneloops or Kodak's The one brand I have had the worst luck with is the Enegerizers.

Never had great luck with rechargables but if ya have a couple sets it will save money. And when you are stuck disposables work good, for rechargable go with the ones made for cameras they have alot better mAH

I didn't even think about rechargeable batteries for cameras, good idea.

I just purchased a new Oregon 200 and wanted to know what type of rechargeable batteries work best for GPS units. Does anyone have any suggestions or types that have worked well for them?

I use the hybrids myself mostly Sanyo Eneloops or Kodak's The one brand I have had the worst luck with is the Enegerizers.

Do you have to have a different changer for each brand of batteries or can you use a universal charger for any brand of rechargeables?

I have an Oregon 300 and have been using Duracell 2650mAh rechargeable batteries. I'm very pleased with their performance so far. They are fairly new and I hope they stay this strong for a couple of years. Anyway I've been real happy with the Duracells so far. Work great.

Do you have to have a different changer for each brand of batteries or can you use a universal charger for any brand of rechargeables?

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/bc700/index.php

These are great chargers. I use them with different brands and it works great.

I use Powerex 2700 mah chargeables by MAHA. I noticed a big difference is the charger they also sell is better as it charges the batteries individual instead of groups of two and four. I use the MH-C800S which charges up to eight cells at once. I also can quick check the level of the batteries in the charger before heading out, and weed out the weaker cells and use the recondition feature on the charger to try to fix the weaker ones.

I use to use Engerizers & Rayovacs in the past, but buying a good charger makes a big difference.

I picked up a 20 pack of Lenmar brand 2500 MaH NiMH batteries. While they aren't the newer 'low discharge' batteries, they have a fair shelf life (about 80% after 3 or 4 weeks) and perform well as far as life.

For me I weighed the difference in MaH rating versus shelf life. I went with higher MaH and have a pretty solid charging regime that fits my caching style and Wii usage :blink:

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/bc700/index.php

These are great chargers. I use them with different brands and it works great.

I think the charger is more important than the battery brand. The above charger made rechargebles that are like 6 years old completely usuable again. It also helped the new ones that weren't up to their full potential because of the factory charger that it came with.

Actually this is the one I have.

I've got some Digital batteries that are 4 years old and finally won't hold charges for long terms. Radio Shack and Everready also seem to be doing good, I was disappointed in the Duracell.

That said, the batteries are like anything else made today, no idea who or where they were made. Many times a contractor may manufacture and just stick the label on the product.

Never had good luck with rechargeables until getting the following setup from Amazon:

Sanyo Eneloop 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries

La Crosse Technology BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger

Never been happier...

Those enloops have a low mAH. (2000)

Hybrid batteries don't drain whilst not being used. This is a huge advantage. In my experience their working life is much longer than the various NiMH batteries I have used too.

I would strongly recommend Eneloops.

Edit to say: I'm not sure why Amazon list them as NiMH, as they're not.

Edited by SidAndBob

I am to the point that I probably won't buy any of the normal NIMH batteries unless I have to. I started buying the hybrid NIMH (Eneloop, Duracell precharged, Rayovac hybrid) and could not be happier. I have an old camera that has a new lease on life because of the new batteries. It was such a pain having to charge the batteries the night before I was going to use the camera. I stuck the new batteries in and have used the camera a few times in the last month and it still shows full charge.

Sure the hybrid batteries have a lower capacity, but if you don't use the normal NIMH batteries right away and wait a week or two, you have already lost most or all of the difference in the capacities from self discharge.

Oh yea, I also use these in my gps units.

I have made a complete change to the low-discharge/hybrid type batteries. I am using Rayovac and Kodak brands because they were low cost. Especially in my digital cameras, I can pick one up after several weeks, and a few uses and still have power. My other standard NiMH never could do this. The new ones have low self discharge rate and a better power curve. Some of the brands of low self-discharge in AA size:

Rayovac Hybrid

Sanyo Eneloop

Sony Cycle Energy

Uniross Hybrio

Ultralast Hybrio

Kodak Digital Camera, Ultra Low Discharge

Maha Imedion

Nexcell EnergyOn

Accupower Acculoop

Ansman Max-E

GP ReCyko

Duracell Pre-charged

Pro Power Hybrid

Delkin Power (Low Discharge)

As for chargers, use a smart one that charges each cell independently. I have used for many years the Maha MH-C401FS, which is small and good for car or traveling. I also have the Powerex MH-C9000 which has a bunch of features.

I use Powerex 2700 mah chargeables by MAHA. I noticed a big difference is the charger they also sell is better as it charges the batteries individual instead of groups of two and four. I use the MH-C800S which charges up to eight cells at once. I also can quick check the level of the batteries in the charger before heading out, and weed out the weaker cells and use the recondition feature on the charger to try to fix the weaker ones.

I use to use Engerizers & Rayovacs in the past, but buying a good charger makes a big difference.

When I bought my Powerex MH-C9000 charger I also bought eight Powerex 2700mAh batteries.

I love the charger. It works great with any brand of NiMH rechargables.

I have had very inconsistent experience with the Powerex batteries. Some recharge back to full capacity easily by simply using the regular charge function. Some can only be brought to full capacity by running them through the refresh cycling. It's about 50/50. About half simply need recharging and about half will never just recharge; they need the refresh cycling.

I'm going back to Sanyos. I've got some much older Sanyos and they're far more consistent. Going to give the Eneloops a try.

...ken...