New coin from a new member

Johnny Rango

Hi Everyone,

I've taken the plunge into have a trackable geocoing minted. It's being done as an annual coin for my 3D website so each year the front will change using a new model to for the subject. If you aren't familiar with 3D it's a computer generated model used in anything from architecture to movies. These are the mockups fro the front and back. The "track at geocaching.com" and the tracking number will be on the edge of the coin. The coins will be 1.75" and 3mm. The jet and the center of the coin will be antique gold and the letters will be bare metal. By the comments I forgot to mention that the jet is 3D and I am guessing the price to be $17.95 with geocache.com tracking and icon.

Curious what everyone thinks of the design.

2-31-7438462_tn.jpg 2-31-7438461_tn.jpg

Edited by bmckain

wow...i just checked out your website. very impressive! i would have imagined you guys coming up with some cool, space age, holographic, 3D image geocoin! the current design is very cool too, maybe you can post some sample pics of the actual geocoin when its' ready for production.

does anyone else here remember the holographic baseball and football trading cards?! those cards were really cool. i wonder if those cards increased in value over the years. just curious.

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

...the price to be $17.95 with geocache.com tracking and icon.

Question:

When you say "bare metal", what metal are we talking about? I'm assuming bronze?

Some design comments:

o First, I'd recommend rotating the arc of text on the top of the front of the coin so that the letters are not overlapping the jet's (that's a Prowler, right?) starboard wingtip. Rotate the whole arc of text around the coin's center clockwise and center the text between the aircraft's wingtips.

o If possible, use the same font for the year, and expand the kerning so that the numbers are spread out a bit more. I'm not talking about filling the lower arc entirely, but spacing it out a bit so that it doesn't look cramped (and the rest of the space so empty). I see that you're trying to hold to a "NeverSayDie" top and "Arial" bottom; it could just be that I am not fond of Arial on coins (and that's a personal prejudice). If you stay with Arial, at least increase the kerning so that the year doesn't look so tight and small, and possibly also rotate it so that it, too, is centered between the wingtips.

o Try expanding out the center logo on the back of the coin a bit so that it fills the background a bit more. It kid of looks like it's swimming in the background. If that's your intention, of course, go for it.

o And I'd also recommend using a subtle texture for the background of the back of the coin (something like gritty #4). That way, if you ever want to do a future edition using this same back, you can try something like putting a transparent enamel in the background (and the texture will show through).

o (in fact, you could ask for texture #11 in the background behind the jet; if the mint is willing to orient the hatching along the axis of the aircraft, it could make the background very subtly look like the aircraft is in motion.)

Last and biggest comment:

o $17.95 is way, way, way too much to ask for this coin. The standard going price for something like this, even with 3D and possibly two-toning, would be in the neighborhood of $8-10. Even if the aircraft were a completely separate piece to be attached to the front, I still think that $17.95 would be pretty unreasonable (I'd pay $12 for it, though). I think you should definitely reconsider the price.

I hope this helps, and I'm looking forward to seeing mint art and/or samples of this coin!

...the price to be $17.95 with geocache.com tracking and icon.

Question:

When you say "bare metal", what metal are we talking about? I'm assuming bronze?

Some design comments:

o First, I'd recommend rotating the arc of text on the top of the front of the coin so that the letters are not overlapping the jet's (that's a Prowler, right?) starboard wingtip. Rotate the whole arc of text around the coin's center clockwise and center the text between the aircraft's wingtips.

o If possible, use the same font for the year, and expand the kerning so that the numbers are spread out a bit more. I'm not talking about filling the lower arc entirely, but spacing it out a bit so that it doesn't look cramped (and the rest of the space so empty). I see that you're trying to hold to a "NeverSayDie" top and "Arial" bottom; it could just be that I am not fond of Arial on coins (and that's a personal prejudice). If you stay with Arial, at least increase the kerning so that the year doesn't look so tight and small, and possibly also rotate it so that it, too, is centered between the wingtips.

o Try expanding out the center logo on the back of the coin a bit so that it fills the background a bit more. It kid of looks like it's swimming in the background. If that's your intention, of course, go for it.

o And I'd also recommend using a subtle texture for the background of the back of the coin (something like gritty #4). That way, if you ever want to do a future edition using this same back, you can try something like putting a transparent enamel in the background (and the texture will show through).

o (in fact, you could ask for texture #11 in the background behind the jet; if the mint is willing to orient the hatching along the axis of the aircraft, it could make the background very subtly look like the aircraft is in motion.)

Last and biggest comment:

o $17.95 is way, way, way too much to ask for this coin. The standard going price for something like this, even with 3D and possibly two-toning, would be in the neighborhood of $8-10. Even if the aircraft were a completely separate piece to be attached to the front, I still think that $17.95 would be pretty unreasonable (I'd pay $12 for it, though). I think you should definitely reconsider the price.

I hope this helps, and I'm looking forward to seeing mint art and/or samples of this coin!

Wow, sorry I missed this, just got busy over the holidays and lost track.

I am actuallty considerng two tone now along with some sort of way to allieviate the coins theft issue by including a tag to release. I’m still working on that.

I like the ideas on the design and I’ll make some changes. I wasn’t really a fan of Ariel I just want it to be clean I get irritated when I can’t read test due to fancy fonts.

Thanks for the info on pricing too, just not sure where to place it. I am used to dealing with retail markups so I will defintely take the advice. I’m trying to get some new quotes and cement some thgouhts on how to deal with coin theft so it may be a bit longer before I get this out and at this point I am not sure how many I will be able to run either.

Thanks for the info though. Very appreciated.

wow...i just checked out your website. very impressive! i would have imagined you guys coming up with some cool, space age, holographic, 3D image geocoin! the current design is very cool too, maybe you can post some sample pics of the actual geocoin when its' ready for production.

does anyone else here remember the holographic baseball and football trading cards?! those cards were really cool. i wonder if those cards increased in value over the years. just curious.

Have a bunch of those cards. Most are pretty worthless. Still like the hockey helmets