Found cremated remains instead of cache

gprgrl

Quick question since I never in a million years expected this to happen while geocaching on vacation... Went to a remote cache, found the typical cache site in a rock ledge with stones piled in front of hole, moved stones, found a black box with sealed plastic bag sticking out of it...not a cache but someone's remains. Freaked out. Four of us searched for an hour in a limited area and found nothing else.

I emailed the cache owner as soon as we got back to maybe take a visit up there to see if his cache is really still there and maybe move it away from the remains. Haven't heard back in several days. Still kinda heebie-jeebied out.

What would you do now?

Email another cacher/owner in the area who could possibly check out the cache?

Continue to wait for owner to reply? (I did note the DNF and the reason in my log)

Quick question since I never in a million years expected this to happen while geocaching on vacation... Went to a remote cache, found the typical cache site in a rock ledge with stones piled in front of hole, moved stones, found a black box with sealed plastic bag sticking out of it...not a cache but someone's remains. Freaked out. Four of us searched for an hour in a limited area and found nothing else.

I emailed the cache owner as soon as we got back to maybe take a visit up there to see if his cache is really still there and maybe move it away from the remains. Haven't heard back in several days. Still kinda heebie-jeebied out.

What would you do now?

Continue to wait for owner to reply? (I did note the DNF and the reason in my log)

I'd pretty much just go on with my life. If someone later logs a find for that cache I would probably go back and look for it.

BTW, how do you know that you found someone's remains? It was just a box with a baggie full of ashes, right?

What would you do now?

I'd pretty much just go on with my life. If someone later logs a find for that cache I would probably go back and look for it.

BTW, how do you know that you found someone's remains? It was just a box with a baggie full of ashes, right?

Good point, that could have been... what exactly? The contents of their Jeep ash tray?

I'm curious if you would describe what you found in a bit more detail...

Edit:

[ sorry... on re-reading, that makes it sound like it was morbid curiousity... I don't mean it that way.... but just to be sure... how big was the box? How heavy were the ashes? What sort of box was it? Was there a label stuck on the box? ]

Edited by PastorJon

I have to be honest and say I think it's sort of funny that you stumbled on, in essence, a grave.

I hope you returned the ashes to respect the person who was there and, of course, their family and friends.

I, too, would have been freaked out a bit but then laugh abot it as a part of life and a story to tell.

Not to minimize your discovery but I found a small coffin in the rocks 2 nights ago.

What would you do now?

Good point, that could have been... what exactly? The contents of their Jeep ash tray?

Actually I thought I had initially found some stashed contraband and was leary of pulling it out--all the Six Feet Unders didn't help me out here. It was heavier than I expected--maybe 2-3 lbs--and pretty dense. Yes it was a black plastic box, definitely ashes in it, I didn't flip it around to see if there was a sticker, but there was a cross with the box...I really didn't want to disturb much further than what I had done already. We respectfully replaced it, apologized for disturbing him, told him he had a beautiful place here, and replaced all the rocks better than when we found it.

It will certainly be a cache to remember that's for sure!

What would you do now?

THeir former pet, contents of a fireplace, other stuff?

Actually I thought I had initially found some stashed contraband and was leary of pulling it out--all the Six Feet Unders didn't help me out here. It was heavier than I expected--maybe 2-3 lbs--and pretty dense. Yes it was a black plastic box, definitely ashes in it, I didn't flip it around to see if there was a sticker, but there was a cross with the box...I really didn't want to disturb much further than what I had done already. We respectfully replaced it, apologized for disturbing him, told him he had a beautiful place here, and replaced all the rocks better than when we found it.

Dimensions were about 4x4x6? Somewhat rectangular in shape? Probably closer to 5-6 pounds?

Those black boxes are the boxes that are used to transport the cremains from the crematory back to the funeral home... usually they're placed in a nicer urn for permanent resting... but perhaps the family decided not to spend extra money on an urn (or a private grave plot).

That sure sounds like cremains.... Sorry you came across that... and it sounds like you treated it with as much respect as possible. It's unfortunate that there weren't better markings before you got to the gravesite. It always makes me wonder what the backstory is...

From the geocaching end, I think you've done all you can do...

Edited by PastorJon

Dimensions were about 4x4x6? Somewhat rectangular in shape? Probably closer to 5-6 pounds?

Those black boxes are the boxes that are used to transport the cremains from the crematory back to the funeral home... usually they're placed in a nicer urn for permanent resting... but perhaps the family decided not to spend extra money on an urn (or a private grave plot).

That sure sounds like cremains.... Sorry you came across that... and it sounds like you treated it with as much respect as possible. It's unfortunate that there weren't better markings before you got to the gravesite. It always makes me wonder what the backstory is...

From the geocaching end, I think you've done all you can do...

Yepper that was the box size, and it definitely could have been closer to 5 lbs--which is why my hubby weighs our luggage :blink:

Thanks for all the advice everybody!

And the Red Herring comment gave me a good laugh, enough to shake off the creepiness :D

What would you do now?

See, the funny thing about "ashes" is that they aren't actually ashes at all. Contrary to popular belief bones do not burn; they're removed from the incinerator and crushed after they cool. What's left afterwards is usually 3-7 pounds of distinctive course greyish "sand".

I'd like to know what the trade value would be :blink:

Ya I know...wrong on soooo many levels!! :)

The ashes aren't worth much, monetarily speaking. Now if it was a fresh body with a usable kidney or a liver or something...

I don't think this is the first time this has happened. I recall a similar thread way back when. There is also a TB of ashes out there. The idea being finders get to scatter a few in every state. Uncle Ewen I think is the name.

I'd like to know what the trade value would be :blink:

Ya I know...wrong on soooo many levels!! :)

The ashes aren't worth much, monetarily speaking. Now if it was a fresh body with a usable kidney or a liver or something...

I don't think this is the first time this has happened. I recall a similar thread way back when. There is also a TB of ashes out there. The idea being finders get to scatter a few in every state. Uncle Ewen I think is the name.

Tell me...Please tell me you didn't take me seriously...LOL

I can't remember where, but I did either read about or saw a video about someone caching and finding a beautiful box - they were surprised that a cache would be hidden in such an elaborate container, until they opened it and discovered that it was actually an urn placed in honor of a beloved pet, not a cache. The cache was nearby, and the CO probably had no idea of the existence of the urn.

It's really no different than visiting someone's grave. And unless it said otherwise, it could have been animal remains, if that makes it any less creepy to you. :blink:

What would you do now?

If the cache owner doesn't respond, you could email one of the previous cache finders and ask them if they had found anything odd, or explain the circumstances to them and ask them where the cache actually is.

I don't think this is the first time this has happened. I recall a similar thread way back when.

It actually happens in the English Lake District quite often - it's a particularly beautiful part of the world and therefore a rather popular place to have one's remains left :blink::) . I've heard two first-hand reports about people finding ashes up there while looking for two separate caches...

I guess in a way, the checklists for 'great spot for a cache' and 'great spot for leaving ashes' are kinda similar :)

I still have the ashes of my parents...I don't think that I could place their cardboard boxes anywhere, but do intend on scattering their ashes. Only trouble is, they didn't say where they would like that to be. Mum would love to be the centre of attention (as in a cache), but I couldn't do that. Muggles, you know..... :blink:

I would have been spooked too, finding what you did, but maybe the place was decided by the deceased and the manner in which the remains were to be left.

Any other shocking finds instead of a cache?

Now there's an idea...before he died, Dad did say he wanted to go somewhere he'd never been before - maybe we need to go on a caching vacation.

I have to be honest and say I think it's sort of funny that you stumbled on, in essence, a grave.

I hope you returned the ashes to respect the person who was there and, of course, their family and friends.

I, too, would have been freaked out a bit but then laugh abot it as a part of life and a story to tell.

Not to minimize your discovery but I found a small coffin in the rocks 2 nights ago.

There is no person there, just a box of ashes.

What would you do now?

Sorry if I missed this but could you please post the GCxxxxx number for the cache?

Thanks.

Perhaps it was the cache owner and thats why there has been no email from them.

I have been trying to figure a good place to spread my ashes. (when the time is right) I think I should add this to my final requests. Put a logbook in the box with me and say hi to all the cachers who come by!

It might ward off muggles. :rolleyes:

The cache was GC9697, and after re-reading the description, that is EXACTLY where it was. There were lots of hiding places obviously in the rocks there, but none in the ledge except this one where the non-cache-box was.

Only other finds--sorry nothing else shocking--were a dime near the edge and getting to see a large-ish lizard. Standing near the edge... hair-raising for sure!

If you can do Elephant Hill, you can do this trail--in case anyone is planning on making the trek up there.

Quick question since I never in a million years expected this to happen while geocaching on vacation... Went to a remote cache, found the typical cache site in a rock ledge with stones piled in front of hole, moved stones, found a black box with sealed plastic bag sticking out of it...not a cache but someone's remains.

People often get their ashes parked where they ask to be parked or in a favorite spot known to friends and family. No matter how out of the way that may seem to be, a cache may be nearby.

Had the exact same thing happen to us looking for a cache near one of the visitor pull-outs that is at one of the entrances to Estes Park, CO. The coordinates weren't right on the spot, and in the process of overturning a goodly number of rocks, found a brass box with "Donald" in it. We covertly got Donald back to his final resting place and looked about the same distance from GZ in other directions and finally found the cache.

I wrote the owner and suggested that 1) the coordinates be tightened up to keep people away from the cairn, and 2) a hint be added to suggest to the finder a more correct location for the search. Alternately, move the cache altogether.

As I recall, they opted for the "move the cache altogether" in the long run. GCQ6Q0

I added a note to my "found" log advising that if finders found something they did not expect during their search, to please be respectful. Nothing more specific than that, but enough for someone who actually ran across the same brass box to have a clue. Was a good thing, as a couple of others did find behind us.

Write the owner. Explain the problem. You've done what needs to be done.

Edited by ecanderson

Pretty weird find.

Not far from the cache I have on my lake property Alabama Power Co bulldozed a new power line for some houses up the creek from me... right through an old long-abandoned cemetery! The rocket surgeons driving the dozers couldn't have missed seeing the dozen or so headstones and graves they ripped open.

It made me mad so I spent almost a year looking for anyone who might be descendants but couldn't find anyone to notify, and complaints to the power company fell on deaf ears.

For a while I had the coordinates to the graveyard in my cache for folks that wanted to go see them but took them out when someone ran off with one of the hand-carved marble headstones of a child's grave. :rolleyes:

I hope that it wasn't a cacher, but if it was I can imagine the cache log... "Took a 150-year-old headstone, left a quarter."

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Pretty weird find.

Not far from the cache I have on my lake property Alabama Power Co bulldozed a new power line for some houses up the creek from me... right through an old long-abandoned cemetery! The rocket surgeons driving the dozers couldn't have missed seeing the dozen or so headstones and graves they ripped open.

It made me mad so I spent almost a year looking for anyone who might be descendants but couldn't find anyone to notify, and complaints to the power company fell on deaf ears.

For a while I had the coordinates to the graveyard in my cache for folks that wanted to go see them but took them out when someone ran off with one of the hand-carved marble headstones of a child's grave. :rolleyes:

I hope that it wasn't a cacher, but if it was I can imagine the cache log... "Took a 150-year-old headstone, left a quarter."

I think your best bet would be to contact your state representative. What they did doesn't seem like it should be legal.

I think your best bet would be to contact your state representative. What they did doesn't seem like it should be legal.

It turns out that only a descendant or authorized representative of a descendant would be able to pursue legal recourse to force restoration of the graveyard. Since I can't find any descendants of the three family-names I can't even prove they owned the land where they are buried... in fact they probably did not. This area was well-settled by the late 1700s so I find abandoned home and burial sites pretty frequently when hunting.

There are three rock burial mounds on my property ~50' from the cache dating back to the pre-1500AD Creek Indian era (according to researchers at the University of Alabama) that have never been disturbed.

Almost all of the Creek Indian remains in these parts were inundated by the lakes when Alabama Power backed up the river with seven dams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coosa_River

Thanks to everyone who responded and a quick update... the cache owner has temporarily disabled the cache due to the remains being there.

Cool.

Whoever the cremains were likely wanted an anonymous place in the woods. That's what my Aunt wanted; so my cousin and I buried her cremains with a post-hole digger on her farm and planted a wild rosebush above her. He and I are the only ones who know where she is.

It wouldn't bother me if someone placed a cache there though, because no one would have reason to know that she's there. If the cremains in the OP are visible maybe the cache owner might cover them with a pile of rocks and forget about them.

The cache was GC9697, and after re-reading the description, that is EXACTLY where it was. There were lots of hiding places obviously in the rocks there, but none in the ledge except this one where the non-cache-box was.

Only other finds--sorry nothing else shocking--were a dime near the edge and getting to see a large-ish lizard. Standing near the edge... hair-raising for sure!

If you can do Elephant Hill, you can do this trail--in case anyone is planning on making the trek up there.

Thanks for supplying the Cache number. After reading most of the logs, it is apparent that the cremains have been there for a a while. They were first mentioned June 1, 2006.

It sound like it is a very popular and beautiful site and it wouldn't surprise me if someone asked that their remains be placed there. It would make a nice final resting place.

It also looks like the cache owner logged into his geocaching account today (9-2-2009) so maybe they will make a note or slightly move the cache.

One of my caches ended up being a little too close to the remains of someone's cat -- and finding the burial places of former pets is something that I run into from time to time. But humans remains? So far, the only thing I have found is a body part now and then that was part of the cache itself. I hope it stays that way.