Delorme Map Subscription for $19.95!

cliptwings

I posted this in the Delorme website as well.

I just purchased a 1 year subscription for Delorme imagery downloads for $19.95 plus $2.25 shipping from J & R Music, through Amazon.com. Their website is http://www.jr.com/delorme-mapping/pe/DLB_00562/

It took 10 days to get to me, but that's the only downside to this deal I can see. Once you get the card, you plug in the 15 digit code into your Delorme mapping program (I have Topo 8). Then it works the same as a code you get by email directly from Delorme. It allows you continuing downloads for a year, from the time you put in the code. It's also the same imagery available.

I can find no expiration date on the card, so if you currently have a subscription, I suppose you can use the card when your subscription runs out.

Just a heads-up to my fellow cheap-skates!

I just purchased a 1 year subscription for Delorme imagery downloads for $19.95 plus $2.25 shipping from J & R Music, through Amazon.com. Their website is http://www.jr.com/delorme-mapping/pe/DLB_00562/

It took 10 days to get to me, but that's the only downside to this deal I can see. Once you get the card, you plug in the 15 digit code into your Delorme mapping program (I have Topo 8). Then it works the same as a code you get by email directly from Delorme. It allows you continuing downloads for a year, from the time you put in the code. It's also the same imagery available.

I can find no expiration date on the card, so if you currently have a subscription, I suppose you can use the card when your subscription runs out.

THANKS!! But, as tempting as that offer is, I am more than happy to send my money to DeLorme. Not sure if tis offer is with DeLorme's permission...

THANKS!! But, as tempting as that offer is, I am more than happy to send my money to DeLorme. Not sure if tis offer is with DeLorme's permission...

.... why not? Have J&R and Amazon.com used a random number generator to make codes/serial no's/authorization keys independent of DeLorme?

J&R is an excellent company to deal with. I have bought from them several times and have had no problems. They have a no questions asked 30 day return policy on most items. ( which I have used lately.) I would not hesitate to buy the subscription from them. Thanks to cliptwings for the heads-up on a good deal for those of us that may want a map subscription.

.... why not? Have J&R and Amazon.com used a random number generator to make codes/serial no's/authorization keys independent of DeLorme?

I dunno, but if it is a deal that DeLorme participaes in, I suppose that's a different horse altogether! :blink:

I just boggle that there's shipping involved in a subscription for a DOWNLOAD service. Delorme gets $7 for shipping this. Why is a physical card being mailed around? I poked around data.delorme.com and their store for a long time trying to figure out how to buy a subscription and have the key electronically delivered instead of (gasp) placed in an envelope.

I just boggle that there's shipping involved in a subscription for a DOWNLOAD service. Delorme gets $7 for shipping this. Why is a physical card being mailed around? I poked around data.delorme.com and their store for a long time trying to figure out how to buy a subscription and have the key electronically delivered instead of (gasp) placed in an envelope.

Yeah, but will they get your card to you on a Saturday like J&R can?

Shipping Method Charge

Economy Ground 5-7 days $2.95

UPS Ground $7.17

UPS 2 Day Air $10.77

UPS 1 Day Air $25.95

UPS 1 Day Air AM Delivery $28.28

UPS Saturday Delivery $56.05

Check again. Either Delorme updated the site yesterday, or you missed it.

Maybe it has a purpose similar to my wallet-sized, plastic KrogerPhoneCard which I use where there is no cellphone service but there are landlines and public pay phones.

With DeLorme download key card, one could go to a public library and connect their PN-XX to the PC and download the aerial imagery?

If you buy the subscription direct from Delorme through the netlink tab in Topo, the code is sent electronically and there is no shipping fee.

Yep! One more reason I would go through DeLorme since no shipping and NO waiting! In the end, the cheaper price isn't so much cheaper with that shipping.

I ended up buying this through J&R. I wasn't planning on getting this for a few weeks due to time constraints at home and not wanting to wade through aerials just yet. So I don't mind waiting the extra week anyway, and hey $7 bucks is still money in my pocket. DeLorme has to send them the card with the code, so it's an outlet that they have chosen to utilize for sales, may as well take advantage of it.

If you buy the subscription direct from Delorme through the netlink tab in Topo, the code is sent electronically and there is no shipping fee.

Yep! One more reason I would go through DeLorme since no shipping and NO waiting! In the end, the cheaper price isn't so much cheaper with that shipping.

I ended up buying this through J&R. I wasn't planning on getting this for a few weeks due to time constraints at home and not wanting to wade through aerials just yet. So I don't mind waiting the extra week anyway, and hey $7 bucks is still money in my pocket. DeLorme has to send them the card with the code, so it's an outlet that they have chosen to utilize for sales, may as well take advantage of it.

Off-topic....since you just bought your PN, did it come with the trial map subscription mine did??

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Ah, it never even occurred to me that Microsoft OS users get a $7 discount/several day expedite for an online download service. I had this (apparently incorrect) preconception how it worked that didn't involve their software to associate a number that they control with an account that they control. Thanx for the explanation.

Ah, it never even occurred to me that Microsoft OS users get a $7 discount/several day expedite for an online download service. I had this (apparently incorrect) preconception how it worked that didn't involve their software to associate a number that they control with an account that they control.

I called DeLorme and bought my NetLink subscription over the phone. They read me the # right on the phone & I was able to cut maps on data.delorme.com about 15 minutes later.

Off-topic....since you just bought your PN, did it come with the trial map subscription mine did??

Hi Rod. You also asked me that question Sunday when I was caching with you. I just double checked and the answer for me is no there was not a trial map subscription with it. However, they did send me a very nice orange Delorme sticker that will go on my car bumber if I ever get it clean enough to stick something to it. It did come with a 30 day PM membership to geocaching.com which if you're already a PM it will extend your 1 year membership by 30 days so I used that. Even without the trial map program I still know I've now got the best GPSr that can be had. Well ok your deluxe PN-40 of whatever the real name is beats mine by a tad, but I still love my PN-40 and don't plan on upgrading again for a very long time! :rolleyes:

Edited by Michigan Cacheman