Geocaching How-to's

Puppy Dawg

This thread is here to serve as a place to post how to's for geocaching. I'll start.

]How to make your own firetacks

Basically, you go to Staples (or some other, similar place) and but a pack of reflectors for road marking. Also get a box of thumbtacks. Then you cut small squares out of the reflective stuff and glue it to the tacks.

Let's get some more...

OK...

How to make your own thumbtacks

Basically, you just get yourself a box of firetacks and remove the reflectors.

:blink:

Seriously, good fire tacks are a little more complicated than that, with multiple reflective facets. But your method is sure inexpensive, anyway.

Edited by knowschad

OK...

How to make your own thumbtacks

Basically, you just get yourself a box of firetacks and remove the reflectors.

:blink:

Seriously, good fire tacks are a little more complicated than that, with multiple reflective facets. But your method is sure inexpensive, anyway.

The OP's method would certainly work for a night cache, even if 'real' firetacks do the job better.

This thread is here to serve as a place to post how to's for geocaching. I'll start.

]How to make your own firetacks

Basically, you go to Staples (or some other, similar place) and but a pack of reflectors for road marking. Also get a box of thumbtacks. Then you cut small squares out of the reflective stuff and glue it to the tacks.

Let's get some more...

Are fire tacks really that expensive that you need to make your own? Last time I looked you could get 25 to 50 of them for about 3 or 4 bucks. My time is worth much more than that.

Where do you get the real fire-tacks?

www.firetacks.com, among other places.

Oh thanks!! I guess it's a hunting thing. That explains it. Had no idea where those were coming from.

How about how to hide a good geocache (things that aren't in the rules)?

Or where NOT to hide a geocache...

Do not put it in or within view of a playground (more easily to muggle, hard as h*ll to find it because there are few times with no muggles, people without children look really weird looking for these, kids find em and take em home, etc.)

Picnic tables are not good because if a family is eating there, and I'm far from home, I can't come back later when they are done (before the next people grab the picnic area). Many times I've tried to cache when someone was settled down for the whole summer with a good book there.

Near homeless camps.

Come on guys, this one should be obvious but people keep doing it.

Someone recently got chased away with a homeless guy wielding a bat. Many are homeless due to mental illness. Let's just leave these guys be, huh?

In the woods with no hints.

In the city we may get a twenty foot parameter to work with. In the woods, I've gotten a 200 foot parameter to work with. The tree cover not only makes MY GPS bounce around, it also made the guy hiding it be inaccurate. Even if I can get a good ground zero it's not likely to be there.

No clue leaves me acres to search with a potential of a zillion hiding places.

You can tell these caches by the large areas of trampled vegetation around them. These caches give caching a bad name because they really do distroy the area.

Come on now, how about a CLUE??? Save the forest!!!!

Micros in the woods with no clues.

You've got to be kidding. Do you want me to find this or not?

Might as well just take it home with you when you leave.

Are fire tacks really that expensive that you need to make your own? Last time I looked you could get 25 to 50 of them for about 3 or 4 bucks. My time is worth much more than that.

You can't go get them at Walmart and sometimes people have 3 or 4 bucks but they don't have 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for the tip. I might use this idea for our next geocaching event that will have night caches.

I'm kinda new to this so maybe this is a common technique, but...

The bush was dense and my GPS couldn't get a good reading at all. To make matters worse my GPS needs me to walk in a straight line for some distance before the direction arrow stabilizes and the bush prevented me from moving enough for this. My kids were getting tired of me saying "over here... no!.... over here!" and were wanting to leave.

I walked into a clearing near the cache site and got my 10 steps in a straight line until the display made sense. I used the bearing and distance info I was shown before entering the bush and continued on that path in the bush until I guessed I was at the position it was indicating earlier. There it was!

It was a very obvious cache location and I know we never came across it when following the screwed up directions so we must have been way off.

You can't go get them at Walmart and sometimes people have 3 or 4 bucks but they don't have 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for the tip. I might use this idea for our next geocaching event that will have night caches.

I am not kidding when I say that I saw firetacks (maybe different brand) at Walmart just yesterday.