Would you take the time to look....

Ms.Scrabbler

If you were going to be traveling and see caches along the way that haven't been found since early July would you bother looking for them?

There are quite a few on this same stretch of road that haven't been logged for months. None of these have DNFs after the last find.

This is a direct route to the Outer Banks and the logs entered make note that's where they are headed. It's hard to believe that everyone driving by choose to ignore the exact same ones.

If you were going to be traveling and see caches along the way that haven't been found since early July would you bother looking for them?

There are quite a few on this same stretch of road that haven't been logged for months. None of these have DNFs after the last find.

This is a direct route to the Outer Banks and the logs entered make note that's where they are headed. It's hard to believe that everyone driving by choose to ignore the exact same ones.

Since July? In (what I can only guess) what are fairly remote areas? You bet!!!

I should have reiterated that we will be traveling through this area to out destination, stopping to cache along the way.

Where we are staying for the week we will definitely look for ones that haven't been logged for a few months

I would look for one or two but if they came up DNF I would probably pass up the rest.

I look for caches anywhere & everywhere I go, that I of course have the time & capability to hunt.

Just all depends on the weather, what I am wearing, how much time I have available and of course who I am with. But to put it simply, yes I will look for just about any cache. Even one with lots of DNF's. I find it a big thrill to find a cache that no one else has found in a while & thus has many DNF's.

This weekend I am heading out on a 3 day camping trip. I have allready plotted my course and loaded all the geocaches that fall within .5 miles of my designated route. As well as the ones at my location. All in all a total of 126 caches. 2 of them haven't been found in a year. One of them doesn't have any DNF's and the other has about 6 DNF's. I am still going to hunt for them both. :blink:

Good hunting!

TGC

Just knowing that the cache hasn't been found for a couple months isn't enough information. For example, there's a big difference between a cache that has been found every couple months with no DNFs, and a cache that has been found a couple times a week, but now has a two-month string of DNFs.

I wouldn't go out of my way to seek a cache that had a string of DNFs, but a few weeks ago I happened to be in the area with some time to search, so I looked for one that had had a string of DNFs going back a few months. I added my DNF to the list.

Are they micros? nanos? unknowns? I filter those out. Are they multis - I usually don't do these when I have limited time. Are they puzzles - same, no time to work out the puzzle. Are they log-only caches (the cache description says BYO pencil there's no room in the cache - even though it's marked as a 'small' size). But I'd find them if they small/regular/large, were enroute, last visit was a find and if the logs were interesting.

[

I would look for one or two but if they came up DNF I would probably pass up the rest.

There aren't many caches along this long stretch of road, we have found some on past trips at pull offs or the occasional side road. The few small towns have a couple of caches we want to get.

Here's an example of what we're finding:

GC194J3 July 6 - replaced and ready to be found, not found yet

GC19A37 July 17 - last found

GC19A32 Aug 28 - last found (I wish I knew how to put a link here)

Since these are very close together with only one found in the last month which seems rather strange because of the limited caches in the area. Seems to me that someone(s) is afraid to enter a DNF (don't get me started on that!)

We're not sure if we want to bother looking for the others but may take bittsen's idea of looking for one or two silent ones to see how we make out.

GC19A37 July 17 - last found

I just took a look at that one. I'll agree it seems odd that it was found 5 times in the first half of July and not once since, but there was an only slightly shorter gap of 4-5 weeks with no finds between early June and early July. I wouldn't skip it based on the logs alone.

Edited by rob3k

Yes, if they were where I'd be. No finds in some time doesn't bother me.

Are they micros? nanos? unknowns? I filter those out. Are they multis - I usually don't do these when I have limited time. Are they puzzles - same, no time to work out the puzzle. Are they log-only caches (the cache description says BYO pencil there's no room in the cache - even though it's marked as a 'small' size). But I'd find them if they small/regular/large, were enroute, last visit was a find and if the logs were interesting.

So you don't do micros at all? I wouldn't always go on a BYOP as an indicator to the size. Some cache hiders don't want to supply the whole world pens/pencils especially when some caches have a problem with them disapearing in the first place! :blink:

So you don't do micros at all?

At first I eliminated all micros then I realized that I could set a filter to include micros that use a scenic attribute. So now I will hunt micros in scenic locations.

I wouldn't always go on a BYOP as an indicator to the size. Some cache hiders don't want to supply the whole world pens/pencils especially when some caches have a problem with them disapearing in the first place! :blink:

Most often the description says 'BYOP there's no room in the cache for a pencil'. That tells me that it's a log-only cache. It hasn't been my experience that people put out larger size containers and say BYOP but I'm sure it happens. I do bring my on pen/pencil with me (occassionally I discover that I've lost my pen/pencil along the way and sure do appreciate when there's a pencil in the box - even micros usually have space for a cut down pencil).