TNLN, TFTC.

thehoomer

A tip for the "power trail amnesia" sufferers. Use GSAK to print a list of caches, including deciphered hints. Take the list with you, and each time you've finished a cache, write a short key phrase at the side of it in the list ("horse", "thorns", "muggle with red coat" etc.). With the hint, that's usually enough to remind you about the cache so you can write a unique log for each one.

The trouble with this approach is the amount of paper it can use. When caching in area with several to choose from it means either printing cache details for everything within several miles or restricting the choice of which caches you can do. I got tired of printing pages of cache details months back and now put everything in electronic format on my GPS and smartphone, and carry a single sheet of paper for calculating multis.

I don't follow; surely if it's a power trail (which is what my suggestion was aimed at) then there's not many that don't fit on a couple of sheets of A4? I did one with 100 caches and only had to print 2 sheets (25 per side if I remember coprrectly). When you're already using a pen to sign the log book, it only takes a few extra seconds to jot down a keyword or two. I have all the electronics too, but you can't beat pen and paper for short notes.

I find if a cache is memorable I'll write a log about it. If it's not memorable then it doesn't get a memorable log.

Point is that caches in a series are often memorable enough to make mention of something, if only you could remember which cache it was. I find it's so much better to write a couple of sentences in the online log to remind yourself about the cache, rather than just "TNLN" which tells you virtually nothing and is not interesting when you look back through your logs. Although if you're not bothered about looking at your previous finds then I don't have a problem with the TNLN logs.

But if you go caching expecting all sorts of fascinating and memorable experiences, worth writing a lengthy account of, you're going to experience regular disappointment (with only occasional delight). Take up stunt driving instead, or get used to making a few remarks about slightly interesting aspects of short walks in the countryside. :rolleyes:

Edited by Happy Humphrey
Here's one for you. Which is better...

You know what I hate? When there's no mention of alligators. Like when the 'cache is hidden in an alligator pit, for example. I mean, you'd think there would be a mention, right, of the deadly, bloodthirsty, mankilling alligators one is pretty much assured of coming across while looking for the 'cache that is located IN the actual the pit itself... Am I right?

I tell ya, some people...

You know what I hate? When there's no mention of alligators. Like when the 'cache is hidden in an alligator pit, for example. I mean, you'd think there would be a mention, right, of the deadly, bloodthirsty, mankilling alligators one is pretty much assured of coming across while looking for the 'cache that is located IN the actual the pit itself... Am I right?

You're right.

In fact I think GSP should have an alligator and/or crocodile warning attribute.

We might not make much use of it here in U.K. so perhaps we could have a Mad Cows icon instead?

MrsB

You're right.

In fact I think GSP should have an alligator and/or crocodile warning attribute.

We might not make much use of it here in U.K. so perhaps we could have a Mad Cows icon instead?

MrsB

If you ask for a dangerous animal attribute GSP are likely to give you one.

We already have one for snakes snakes-yes.gif and when the UK community asked for one for cattle, mainly cows, we got this attribute cow-yes.gif Still not quite the mad cow attribute that has been requested for.

If I like your cache I will give it a good write up. I deliberately write lots on a really good cache.

If it was pants you will get a 2 word respose from me. If it's really bad, I simply write 'found it' - I'm not going to thank anyone for hiding a really bad cache!

Simple. And I'm not going to apologise for it! :DB)B)

I was logging some of yours last night when I thought of this :D

I've probably put rubbish logs on now :D

Just some points on this. For you NWCachers, this will be familiar reading

1) When I get a found log its nice to have one piece of information about this cache. "Nice easy find" is no good because the smiley face tells me you found it. (1342/67345) on a day out in surrey, is no good either because that's about the day in general not this cache. It doesn't have to be War and Peace, you can just do it in one sentance.

2) I only set individual caches, those who no me know that power trails aren't my thing, if I do them I have to keep my interest up by missing a few of them out along the way. I have never set any myself as I only set individual caches. Now what happens sometimes is that you can set one and later on someone else might stick a power trail around it. This is fine as just because I have placed a cache doens't give me any say on what happens >550ft around it. The only problem is that suddenly wether I like it or not my cache is suddenly logged as if it was part of the trail and the type of logs it gets changes from quite interesting ones to "123/323 on a day in the canal trail." I prefred it as it was before. I really would prefer it people would just log individual caches as individual caches!

3) A way to get more interesting logs is to set more puzzles and multis. Of course your caches will be found less often but the logs they get are generally much better. I think one interesting log every three months may be better than regular "TFTC TNLNSL"s.

4) This point was made earliar but when you talk about it on forums 99% of people seem to agree that longer logs are better. I have come to realise that the people who post messages on forums are the type who put interesting logs.

5) The final thing is why there's no need to bother about short logs. I tend to think about longer logs being just as much for my sake as for the cache owner. Its like an online blog of my experiences. It really can be great fun to waste some time and read your old logs. You recall things you had forgotten. Its just like keeping a diary.

1) When I get a found log its nice to have one piece of information about this cache. "Nice easy find" is no good because the smiley face tells me you found it. (1342/67345) on a day out in surrey, is no good either because that's about the day in general not this cache. It doesn't have to be War and Peace, you can just do it in one sentance.

2) I only set individual caches, those who no me know that power trails aren't my thing, if I do them I have to keep my interest up by missing a few of them out along the way. I have never set any myself as I only set individual caches. Now what happens sometimes is that you can set one and later on someone else might stick a power trail around it. This is fine as just because I have placed a cache doens't give me any say on what happens >550ft around it. The only problem is that suddenly wether I like it or not my cache is suddenly logged as if it was part of the trail and the type of logs it gets changes from quite interesting ones to "123/323 on a day in the canal trail." I prefred it as it was before. I really would prefer it people would just log individual caches as individual caches!

3) A way to get more interesting logs is to set more puzzles and multis. Of course your caches will be found less often but the logs they get are generally much better. I think one interesting log every three months may be better than regular "TFTC TNLNSL"s.

4) This point was made earliar but when you talk about it on forums 99% of people seem to agree that longer logs are better. I have come to realise that the people who post messages on forums are the type who put interesting logs.

5) The final thing is why there's no need to bother about short logs. I tend to think about longer logs being just as much for my sake as for the cache owner. Its like an online blog of my experiences. It really can be great fun to waste some time and read your old logs. You recall things you had forgotten. Its just like keeping a diary.

Thanks Foinavon, looks like you share my viewpoint. Im wary of saying too much but shy/dyslexic people (etc) aside, Im pretty sure I know why the rest have 'eight letter syndrome'. Its a shame also, that some cachers who were previously well known for writing decent logs have developed this trait. Im sorry everyone, but I still believe that if we all tried to write better logs, it may breed better hides. In my opinion, the way we are heading, a lot of future cachers wont bother setting decent hides because they will have nothing to aim for response-wise. There are so many people stressing their dissapointment about the quality of hides/micros/locations but it doesnt seem to be improving. If we want it to, we have to start somewhere and I still believe that the extra few seconds it takes to write a sentence, may be a starting point.

Right, I am now ready for you to all come at me with your burning torches! :P

Edited by thehoomer

If I like your cache I will give it a good write up. I deliberately write lots on a really good cache.

If it was pants you will get a 2 word respose from me. If it's really bad, I simply write 'found it' - I'm not going to thank anyone for hiding a really bad cache!

Simple. And I'm not going to apologise for it! :PB):D

I was logging some of yours last night when I thought of this :blink:

I've probably put rubbish logs on now :ph34r:

Absolutely - be honest. :)

I'm very aware I hid some really cr@p caches for the mega - they were put out as a last minute thing for the event just to bolster the number of caches in the area. With the exception of one, I doubt any will have any real longevity, and as the containers disappear I will no doubt archive them.

But I'm not scared to hear the truth about these caches - I'm aware that many are pants and I'm girl enough to take truthful feedback about them on the chin. Most people put down one liners as logs on these hides - probably more credit than was due in all honesty. I expected a round of 'found it' or 'TNLN TFTC' logs and I personally think that would have been fairer given the poor quality of the hides. ;)

I give it and I take it. Fair is fair. ;)B)

Thanks Foinavon, looks like you share my viewpoint.

I also respect Foinavon's post.

In my opinion, the way we are heading, a lot of future cachers wont bother setting decent hides because they will have nothing to aim for response-wise.

But considering the vast number of interesting caches we already have to find I'm not too bothered if a few potential cache placers drop out because they've had the occasional TFTC log for their latest super-mega-all-day-multi. TBH, if they're that sensitive I'd have reservations about logging the cache anyway; there's no shortage of others to choose from so why bother with someone who's going to get offended unless you log your find in a certain style.

It's a buyers' (finders) market, and I'm grateful that anyone attempts my caches even if they only expend minimum effort on the logging aspect.

Thanks Foinavon, looks like you share my viewpoint. Im wary of saying too much but shy/dyslexic people (etc) aside, Im pretty sure I know why the rest have 'eight letter syndrome'. Its a shame also, that some cachers who were previously well known for writing decent logs have developed this trait. Im sorry everyone, but I still believe that if we all tried to write better logs, it may breed better hides. In my opinion, the way we are heading, a lot of future cachers wont bother setting decent hides because they will have nothing to aim for response-wise. There are so many people stressing their dissapointment about the quality of hides/micros/locations but it doesnt seem to be improving. If we want it to, we have to start somewhere and I still believe that the extra few seconds it takes to write a sentence, may be a starting point.

Right, I am now ready for you to all come at me with your burning torches! :laughing:

We always try to writew a decent ish log so even if the cache is a bit poor the owner realises what they may be missing out on hopefully some people enjoy reading them ??

As for trails unless there is a stand out hide amongst them we write one or in some cases two logs for the entire trail.

Another reason for writing a good descriptive log is that we print them out togewther with the pictures we take.

Now just like an old photo album i can go back to our earliest caches and use the log and pictures to remember what sort of day it was etc. Just like a diary.

If you just type TNLN TFTC than when you are older how will this inspire you or bring back any memories.

Take this one still fresh in our memory but in a years time this log will help bring back the memory.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...63-38d793ae6a1b

If you just type TNLN TFTC than when you are older how will this inspire you or bring back any memories.

The point for me when I write something like this is that there is very little worth remembering! If a cache is poor enough to warrant such a bland write up from me, I'd rather forget the cache........ :laughing:

But I agree with you about giving good write ups to good caches - it's a great way to remember days out. :laughing::laughing: