GC - Blackberry Tour - Blackstar Newbie HELP!

snookrd

okay - I've tried to figure this out every which way - I probably have spent 3-5 hours so at least give me an A for effort! Here's my problem.

I am new to using the Blackberry tour. Noticed that Blackstar is one of the highly downloaded applications so I thought I'd try this geocaching thing because it always interested me. Downloaded the app. Got a premium membership to Geocache.com. When I am on the Blackberry, I open Blackstar. The compass dial screen comes up. I push the "Blackberry button" and get a menu list. I select, "Geocaching.com closest cashes". It gives me a cache list just like the website. BUT when I click on the cache name - I spin in eternal hell - "requesting script, running, running script, loading"....over and over again (and over again and over again....) but it never does anything. What am I doing wrong?!?

I think I have figured out how to use the geocaching.com website because I can go to the page on my laptop and see the cache coordiantes. At that point all I know is how to do is enter the coordinates manually on the crackberry . I want to make this fun when I travel. Somehow this blackberry has to work. Oh what am I doing wrong? Can you help a girl out???

okay - I've tried to figure this out every which way - I probably have spent 3-5 hours so at least give me an A for effort! Here's my problem.

I am new to using the Blackberry tour. Noticed that Blackstar is one of the highly downloaded applications so I thought I'd try this geocaching thing because it always interested me. Downloaded the app. Got a premium membership to Geocache.com. When I am on the Blackberry, I open Blackstar. The compass dial screen comes up. I push the "Blackberry button" and get a menu list. I select, "Geocaching.com closest cashes". It gives me a cache list just like the website. BUT when I click on the cache name - I spin in eternal hell - "requesting script, running, running script, loading"....over and over again (and over again and over again....) but it never does anything. What am I doing wrong?!?

I think I have figured out how to use the geocaching.com website because I can go to the page on my laptop and see the cache coordiantes. At that point all I know is how to do is enter the coordinates manually on the crackberry . I want to make this fun when I travel. Somehow this blackberry has to work. Oh what am I doing wrong? Can you help a girl out???

The blackstar forums might be your best point of contact for support: http://blackstarnavigation.freeforums.org/

I have been caching for about a month and was new to a blackberry when I started, Try cacheberry they have a 30 day trial I think you will be inpressed. I was! You can run both programs and compare at this point until you get your answer for the other. I am also very pleased with the speed of responce to questions on there forums.

Thanks for your quick replies. I downloaded CacheBerry and I think I will find it easier to use. I have already joined GC as a premium member. That all being said, I still am having the same problems when I try to load from the GC website to my phone - I do the search then click on the cache name, but instead of going to the page that gives me the coordinates, the page won't load.

Here's what I am doing, step by step:

at the Home page I login then click on advanced search

enter my zip code (61010)

the nearest caches are shown (first one is 'river beauty')

when I click on the description link 'river beauty', nothing happens - the page doesn't load. It just says, 'running script', 'loading', and on and on. But it never comes up. Help!

On my laptop, it works flawlessly, so it must be a Blackberry Tour thing.

Here is what I suggest. I have some issues browsing on the site and it has been suggested to me that it is because the blackberry browser doesnt support flash but

Have you made any pocket queries yet?

If you search by the GC code instead of the zip code does it work?

I have found that geocaching.com has issues with some of its searcges from my blackberry but with the pocket queries I search from cacheberry so I don't notice it.

If you are using your home zipcode download any loc or gpx into cacheberry and go into copass mode with it.(ya it sounds lame but you need one to turn gps function on)

Then while in compass mode a new menu called websearch is avaiable which searches the website for cahes relivante to your current location ...very helpful for cahing on the fly.

If you email a pocket query to yourself most info is available onyour BB and if you want more there will be a website link to bypass having to use geocaching searches as as you have found done't always work on a BB. hope this helps abit as I am kinda new to this as well just trying to help out

While not as helpful for caching on the fly, here is what I do with my Storm and Cacheberry:

1) From my desktop, select a number of caches I want to visit. I download each GPX file into a temp directory.

2) After all GPX files are downloaded, I compress into a single zip file.

3) Email the zip file to my Storm

4) Save the email attachement from my Storm to a directory (on the SD card in my case)

5) Open Cacheberry and import GPX. Browse to the directory where the zip file was saved, select and import.

I've just started tinkering with the field notes options in Cacheberry. Really like the TextMarks option. I can type up my field notes, then send it directly to gc.com with the TextMarks/SMS option. When I get home, all my field notes are sitting there waiting to be posted.

Back to your original question, I just tested a GPX download via the browser on my Storm, and it worked fine. Using version 4.7 of the Blackberry browser. When I clicked the download link, Cacheberry popped up and asked if I wanted to merge or replace with my existing database.