Garmin 60CSx Magnetic Compass issues

Over the last while I have noticed that when using the magnetic compass on my 60CSx when searching for a cache I see the "hold level" indicators. This is happening quite often. When I calibrate the compass it goes away and seems to work fine for a bit.

At a cache event the other day, I had to calibrate several times.

Any thoughts on a resolution?

J

That GPSr needs to heald level just like a real compass to function correctly. Are you seeing the message when used like that?

Yes, when it is held level it still shows that. I noticed that before after a battery change, but now its happening more often. Batteries are brand new and fully charged.

sound like it's calibration data isn't being retained. Try backing up the unit and doing a master reset and see it that helps. Are you using the most current software in the GPSr?

I'm going to confirm the software version tonight. How do you do a Master Reset and I'm not aware of how to back up a 60CSx?

I'm going to confirm the software version tonight. How do you do a Master Reset and I'm not aware of how to back up a 60CSx?

Use the MapSource software that came with the unit to backup your data to a computer. To reset:

A. Power the unit off.

B. Press and hold the three following buttons:

QUIT, MENU & OUT

C. Power the unit on while still holding the three buttons from step B.

D. The unit will boot up.

Use the MapSource software that came with the unit to backup your data to a computer. To reset:

A. Power the unit off.

QUIT, MENU & OUT

Great thanks. I'll give that a shot. Backing up isn't an issue, there really isn't anything on there than I can dump back up or use GSAK to restore.

J

A. Power the unit off.

QUIT, MENU & OUT

Great thanks. I'll give that a shot. Backing up isn't an issue, there really isn't anything on there than I can dump back up or use GSAK to restore.

J

Mine's been doing the same thing with the "Hold Level" prompt..I'll have to try the master reset as well..

Yes, when it is held level it still shows that. I noticed that before after a battery change, but now its happening more often. Batteries are brand new and fully charged.

Hello Cache-R-Joe:

Are you recalibrating after every battery change? It is my understanding that this is required.

Good Luck

Mike

Hello Cache-R-Joe:

Are you recalibrating after every battery change? It is my understanding that this is required.

Good Luck

Mike

In the manual they recommend calibrating even more often, I think. After replacing the batteries, after moving more then 200 kilometers, every couple of hours...

I don't care about that, however. I do calibrate my compass right before I embark on a geocaching trip and usually I do not need to recalibrate during the same day. Sometimes however I just "feel" the compass needs calibration, then I'll recalibrate, just in case. After all it's quite easy and quickly done.

There's also another thing that I think might be important: When calibrating, I first rotated the unit in my hands, keeping it as level as possible. But when you're navigating the unit will (almost) always be pointing away from you, with the mass of your body in its back, so to speak. So I recon this should be the case when calibrating, too. I now calibrate by holding the unit in front of me and rotate myself two times. I wouldn't bet on it, but my gutt feeling says it's more reliable now.

best,

Pulvertoastmann