When a good cache takes a wrong turn.

June 14 by xxxxxxx&xxxxx (19 found)

We did not find it and found that according to the previous logs that it had been taken. If this cache has been taken, you need to disable this cache.

[view this log]

April 11 by xxxxxx (45 found)

xxxxx, you’re not supposed to steal the cache. You are only supposed to take the travel bugs for redistribution. It would be appreciated by my son and daughter who maintain the cache as well by those that search for it, if it was returned to its location.

People please do not search for this cache until it has been returned or untill it can be replaced sometime this summer.

Thank You

xxxxxxx

[view this log]

April 11 by xxxxx (0 found)

Wow, so the last log wasn't kidding, it appears this cache is gone. Dug 3 feet deep into said hole and came up nil. Pity!

[view this log]

April 9 by xxxxx (1 found)

Cache is being moved to California. Near San Diego! this is going to Travel far! Thanks for the exciting Find!

[view this log]

March 26 by xxxxx (3 found)

This was our first outing Geocaching as a family. We had a great time. Thanks!

Is it just me, or is this wrong on so many levels it is not funny.

A good Samaritan decides to maintain a cache, probably for a absentee cache owner, and all the maintainer can do is put a log about the cache being missing. A prime example of why "maintaining" a cache is a bad idea. If there was ever an argument for filing needs archive log this is a prime example.

Some one comes along and takes the cache to be hid in an undisclosed location. How do the ever expect it to be found?

Another comes along and digs 3 feet deeper in a hole that apparently the cache was buried in.

The good Samaritan writes a note to communicate with the person that took the cache. Since they apparently have an account, why not email them directly?

Some one should come along and put this cache out if its misery.

Jim

Edited by jholly

A good Samaritan decides to maintain a cache, probably for a absentee cache owner, and all the maintainer can do is put a log about the cache being missing. A prime example of why "maintaining" a cache is a bad idea. If there was ever an argument for filing needs archive log this is a prime example.

Some one comes along and takes the cache to be hid in an undisclosed location. How do the ever expect it to be found?

Another comes along and digs 3 feet deeper in a hole that apparently the cache was buried in.

The good Samaritan writes a note to communicate with the person that took the cache. Since they apparently have an account, why not email them directly?

Jim

I don't see how you are coming up with that scenario. Do you know more about it than what the OP had to say? From the original post, all I can see is that

1) Somebody found it on March 26

2) Somebody else found it and took it (moved it) on April 9

3) Someone else confirmed on April 11 that it was indeed missing. (There is no evidence that this was an attempt at maintenance for an absentee cache owner, if that's what you were thinking of when you said that. )

4) On that same day, someone, presumably the owner, said "please do not search for it", but did not disable it

5) June 14, somebody else DNFd it, only to find out that it should have been disabled.

Edited by knowschad
We had one go missing like that around here. Looks like a non-cacher found it and not understanding how the game works, moved it to an undisclosed location. GCMVE1

Well, at that one should be easy to find, since "it was hidden less then a mile away from the original spot" :P

I guess that lends a new meaning to expanding the search area!

Jim

We had one go missing like that around here. Looks like a non-cacher found it and not understanding how the game works, moved it to an undisclosed location. GCMVE1

Well, at that one should be easy to find, since "it was hidden less then a mile away from the original spot" :P

Jim

I guess the CO could just set the difficulty to 5 and say "cache on"!

Well, at that one should be easy to find, since "it was hidden less then a mile away from the original spot" :)

Jim

I guess the CO could just set the difficulty to 5 and say "cache on"!

Hmmm. Probably re-list it as a ? cache with a difficulty of 5, terrain as unknown, give coordinates of original, and then give parameters of "within 1 mile."

Oh, and offer one heck of an FTF prize. :P

Jim

I don't see how you are coming up with that scenario. Do you know more about it than what the OP had to say? From the original post, all I can see is that

1) Somebody found it on March 26

2) Somebody else found it and took it (moved it) on April 9

3) Someone else confirmed on April 11 that it was indeed missing. (There is no evidence that this was an attempt at maintenance for an absentee cache owner, if that's what you were thinking of when you said that. )

4) On that same day, someone, presumably the owner, said "please do not search for it", but did not disable it

5) June 14, somebody else DNFd it, only to find out that it should have been disabled.

3) This log ..

---------

xxxxx, you’re not supposed to steal the cache. You are only supposed to take the travel bugs for redistribution. It would be appreciated by my son and daughter who maintain the cache as well by those that search for it, if it was returned to its location.

People please do not search for this cache until it has been returned or untill it can be replaced sometime this summer.

-----------

If the person posting this log was the cache owner why not disable the listing on April 11? Why refer to themselves as the maintainer? If they were doing it for someone they were in contact with, why not have that person disable the cache? There are some that, for what ever reason, will maintain a cache for a absentee cache owner.

Presumably if the person that posted on April 11 was the owner (or his/her son and daughter) the disabling would have been accomplished by June 14.

But taking your approach, they simply do not know how to disable a listing. But unless we can get the GC number an look at the listing both scenarios are possible.

The other troubling log is

---------

Wow, so the last log wasn't kidding, it appears this cache is gone. Dug 3 feet deep into said hole and came up nil. Pity!

---------

Wonder why this person decided to dig? inexperience or was there something on the listing that indicated that they should?

Sure would like to know the GC number to look at the listing.

Jim

Edited by jholly

Wow - that is actually a common misconsption amoung some new users. They think there is somehow a homing device in the cache box itself that the GPS points at. So they move the box along to a new location.

They look at it as a kind of hide n-seek game.

There were about 5 outof 25 the first time that I taught a GPS clkass and mentioned Geocaching that thought along those lines - luckily i cleared up there thinking before they got into the field.

3) This log ..

---------

xxxxx, you're not supposed to steal the cache. You are only supposed to take the travel bugs for redistribution. It would be appreciated by my son and daughter who maintain the cache as well by those that search for it, if it was returned to its location.

-----------

If the person posting this log was the cache owner why not disable the listing on April 11? Why refer to themselves as the maintainer? If they were doing it for someone they were in contact with, why not have that person disable the cache? There are some that, for what ever reason, will maintain a cache for a absentee cache owner.

Presumably if the person that posted on April 11 was the owner (or his/her son and daughter) the disabling would have been accomplished by June 14.

But taking your approach, they simply do not know how to disable a listing. But unless we can get the GC number an look at the listing both scenarios are possible.

The other troubling log is

---------

---------

Wonder why this person decided to dig? inexperience or was there something on the listing that indicated that they should?

Sure would like to know the GC number to look at the listing.

Jim

I guess I can see it that way. I took it to mean that his (?) son and daughter maintain the cache for him (the owner).

I was wondering about the digging, as well. Could be digging through rotten wood in a tree stump, but 3 feet seems a bit far-fetched for that explaination.

... April 9 by xxxxx (1 found)

Cache is being moved to California. Near San Diego! this is going to Travel far! Thanks for the exciting Find!

I've seen this come up a few times. I don't know how they get it in their head that you take the cache and move it to a new spot to hide it but every now and then that's exactly what a newbie does.

It's an education problem not a theft problem. They need to be caught up to speed on how caches actually work.

Wow - that is actually a common misconsption amoung some new users. They think there is somehow a homing device in the cache box itself that the GPS points at. So they move the box along to a new location.

They look at it as a kind of hide n-seek game.

There were about 5 outof 25 the first time that I taught a GPS clkass and mentioned Geocaching that thought along those lines - luckily i cleared up there thinking before they got into the field.

At least I'm not alone noticing this.

Wow! No, I had no idea that line of thinking existed! I can understand it now that you point it out (with GPS locator chips and things like that in the news and stuff) though.

Wow! No, I had no idea that line of thinking existed! I can understand it now that you point it out (with GPS locator chips and things like that in the news and stuff) though.

I was struck by that misconception as well. Which, has an element of sense to it especially for those who have seen older cop shows with RF tracking beacons etc. There are a lot of people (at times, me included) for whom some technology is sorta magical. How the device knows where the cache is (usually!) could easily be one of those moments for some. Thanks for the insight!