Bottle caps

What am I missing about bottle caps? I see them in caches. I see people log that they've put them in caches. When I find them laying around the house or on the street, I think they're trash. So what am I missing that causes these to apparently be another man's treasure?

I admit, though, that I kind of like the Smirnoff bottle caps because the logo looks like a bat to me. :P

What am I missing about bottle caps? I see them in caches. I see people log that they've put them in caches. When I find them laying around the house or on the street, I think they're trash. So what am I missing that causes these to apparently be another man's treasure?

I admit, though, that I kind of like the Smirnoff bottle caps because the logo looks like a bat to me. :P

Good call. They're trash. Likewise, used golf balls, expired coupons, and other junk that people leave for swag, using the rationale of "one man's trash is another man's treasure". While there are bottle cap collectors, I seriously doubt that a rare one, in good enough condition after bouncing around in a cache for a while, would still be desirable to a collector. And even then, the person leaving it for swag didn't realize its intrinsic worth, and so was still swapping with trash.

Coke points? I would feel comfortable leaving them, or taking them.

If your talking about metal bottle caps think of the kids. While old hat to many adults, many kids don't see these too much. They're neat!

OK, so if were are trading equally or better, what are those caps worth?

Yeah I'd agree that a regular old bottle cap in a cache would be considered trash by most.

I'd suggest someone could make a cache specifically for bottle caps if they were that interested. Also if it's the history behind bottle caps that moves them, they could make a TB with the goal of visiting bottling companies and/or breweries.

Some people collect them. They recycle just fine though. Since they seem to have all the same characteristics of "tin cans" (Thin steel) I dump them in with my "tin".

I don't collect them, However at the same time I once read BrianSnats trash list and he had some trash items that I would trade for. Some else mentioned used golf balls. Good swag, I like to shoot them. They go a bit further down the range and the shots get harder to make. It's good practice.

If your talking about metal bottle caps think of the kids. While old hat to many adults, many kids don't see these too much. They're neat!

IMO, nothing really. Some folks will like them. They take forever to add up, but you can get stuff for them.

I'd say a standard cap would be worth one leaf or one rock that another cacher found within 20 feet of the cache and decided to trade in.

Edited by rob3k

1/2 of a used golfball.

Some else mentioned used golf balls. Good swag, I like to shoot them. They go a bit further down the range and the shots get harder to make. It's good practice.

Again... what would you consider to be an equal trade item for a used golf ball. For that matter, how should a used golf ball ever get into a cache if we all traded equal or better? (unless, of course, expired coupons, broken rubber bands, used golf balls, and old bottle caps were part of the orignal swag)

Some else mentioned used golf balls. Good swag, I like to shoot them. They go a bit further down the range and the shots get harder to make. It's good practice.

Again... what would you consider to be an equal trade item for a used golf ball. For that matter, how should a used golf ball ever get into a cache if we all traded equal or better? (unless, of course, expired coupons, broken rubber bands, used golf balls, and old bottle caps were part of the orignal swag)

Lots of things would equal a used golf ball. Off the top of my head: a few army men, a barrel of monkeys monkey, a bouncy ball, a chip clip, a cheapo retractible keyring, two of Arrow42's bottle caps, etc. Plus, there's no guideline against trading up, is there?

Edited by sbell111

I admit, though, that I kind of like the Smirnoff bottle caps because the logo looks like a bat to me. :)

Actually, and I'm sad I know this, you're thinking of Bacardi.

:P

Smirnoff cap:

SmirnoffCap800.jpg

Bacardi cap:

997137304_9722e931bc.jpg

The fact that so many cap pics are available on the web suggests to me that some people find value in these things.

Edited by sbell111

Actually, and I'm sad I know this, you're thinking of Bacardi.

Yep, Smirnoff is a two-headed eagle.

3-28-09%20066.jpg

I can't really understand why somebody would leave a bottle cap as swag, but it doesn't really surprise me either. I guess they want to believe that somebody out there will think it's the coolest thing ever to add to their collection...?

I leave a foreign coin though I seldom trade. On the rare occasion I find a used golf ball, let alone that I'd like to trade for it, I'd just leave the coin. Mostly I trade for foreign coins. For some reason I like finding them, so naturall I leave them as well.

While there are bottle cap collectors, I seriously doubt that a rare one, in good enough condition after bouncing around in a cache for a while, would still be desirable to a collector. And even then, the person leaving it for swag didn't realize its intrinsic worth, and so was still swapping with trash.

If, on the off chance you are a bottle cap collector, or know the cap you are leaving would be desirable to a collector, don't just throw it in a cache. Put it in a little baggie, and add a note about it. Same thing would work with anything else that is collectible, but looks like trash to those not into collecting whatever it is. A little effort in presentation would make a difference in how something may be perceived.

Lots of things would equal a used golf ball. Off the top of my head: a few army men, a barrel of monkeys monkey, a bouncy ball, a chip clip, a cheapo retractible keyring, two of Arrow42's bottle caps, etc. Plus, there's no guideline against trading up, is there?

If you are referring to those leaving things when you take a used golf ball, I'd have to agree. If you're referring to leaving a used golf ball for any of those things... well, you know. :P

Foreign coins, since it was mentioned already.... My daughter collects them and wants as many different ones as possible. Not knowing exactly which ones she has means that I take as many as I can find (trading evenly if I know their value). Then I bring them home to her and she supplies me with a fresh supply of "duplicates". Those go in the cache bag for the next outing.

Sometimes she trades up in the quality/condition of the coins. Same would apply to bottle caps, I guess.

Sorry, I do not know anyone who is an "expired coupon" collector.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
Although probably less often, some folks do collect those. If they aren't rusty I don't think they are bad swag. I can see a young kid liking this. All swag isn't for everyone though.

Would a coin collector drop an unprotected collectable coin into a cache to get scratched and dinged up? A bottle cap collector would do the same for a bottle cap that is worth anything more than trash, I can assure you. As Uxorious says, they'd probably have it in some sort of protective envelope, with a note clearly indicating its worth.

Anybody simply dropping a bottle cap into a cache is knowingly dropping trash into it... let's not kid ourselves.

Although probably less often, some folks do collect those. If they aren't rusty I don't think they are bad swag. I can see a young kid liking this. All swag isn't for everyone though.

Would a coin collector drop an unprotected collectable coin into a cache to get scratched and dinged up? A bottle cap collector would do the same for a bottle cap that is worth anything more than trash, I can assure you. As Uxorious says, they'd probably have it in some sort of protective envelope, with a note clearly indicating its worth.

Anybody simply dropping a bottle cap into a cache is knowingly dropping trash into it... let's not kid ourselves.

And now I feel bad about leaving a cap from a limited run of special Beer. (to be left unnamed). There were only 10,000 of those bottle caps ever made but I didn't realize that one of those would be nothing more than trash.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Basically, I don't undrstand people who collect thimbles, Civil War era memorabilia, Worlds fair plates, Coca-Cola stuff, Beanie Babies, Foreign coins, Olympic pins, ANYTHING related to the 50's, and the list goes on and on and on and on....

Why question why someone would collect something? Why call everything that doesn't interest you garbage? Why see everything that you don't enjoy as a negative?

Why?

If, on the off chance you are a bottle cap collector, or know the cap you are leaving would be desirable to a collector, don't just throw it in a cache. Put it in a little baggie, and add a note about it. Same thing would work with anything else that is collectible, but looks like trash to those not into collecting whatever it is. A little effort in presentation would make a difference in how something may be perceived.

I totally agree. This is what we do with our foreign coins and buffalo nickels.

I am not a coin collector but I do leave coins in caches. Some of them have value. I do not know which ones though. I do leave them in baggies but I know some folks do not. People like them all the same I just like swag to be dry when someone gets it.

And now I feel bad about leaving a cap from a limited run of special Beer. (to be left unnamed). There were only 10,000 of those bottle caps ever made but I didn't realize that one of those would be nothing more than trash.

Basically, I don't undrstand people who collect thimbles, Civil War era memorabilia, Worlds fair plates, Coca-Cola stuff, Beanie Babies, Foreign coins, Olympic pins, ANYTHING related to the 50's, and the list goes on and on and on and on....

Why question why someone would collect something? Why call everything that doesn't interest you garbage? Why see everything that you don't enjoy as a negative?

Why?

Cause they need something to complain about to make their world go around. :P

Why would you assume everyone would know that cap is from a limited run of special beer, and not something you found on the trail into the cache? People collect all kinds of things, many of which may appear as junk if you don't know what it is. If it isn't valuable enough to label, don't be surprise if it gets tossed.

Why?

Collectables are going to be protected, not dropped into an ammo can or peanut butter jar for whomever might come along to collect it, and you darned well know it. We are not speaking of collectables here. If you find a collectable ANYTHING in a cache, then please post a picture and the waypoint of the cache. We'd all love to hear about it.

You are really taking the time to argue my point about bottle caps dropped into a cache as being worthless trash, aren't you? Have you nothing better to do with your time? Good grief!!!

I am not a coin collector but I do leave coins in caches. Some of them have value. I do not know which ones though. I do leave them in baggies but I know some folks do not. People like them all the same I just like swag to be dry when someone gets it.

You know what I'm talking about. Anything of likely value, you are going to try to protect. Let's not get into bickering about that... if you don't try to protect it, you don't think it has value. We all know that, don't we?

Cause they need something to complain about to make their world go around. :blink:

No. You are wrong about that. I am not a chronic complainer, despite what one person here might claim. I am only saying that there is very little that you wil find in a cache that is an equal or lessor thing to leave a bottle cap in trade for. Can you seriously disagree with that statement?

Edited by knowschad

Cause they need something to complain about to make their world go around. :blink:

No. You are wrong about that. I am not a chronic complainer, despite what one person here might claim. I am only saying that there is very little that you wil find in a cache that is an equal or lessor thing to leave a bottle cap in trade for. Can you seriously disagree with that statement?

I don't know about that. There are lots of worthless items I've seen in caches.

Yeah, and those items as well as the worthless bottlecaps both got into the cache... how??? From unfair and dishonest trading. Nobody is leaving a bottle cap because they thought it was fair trade for that flashlight... nor for the keychain that was left as trade for the flashlight. They wanted that keychain, and all they had was a that bottle cap they picked up on the way to the cache. You know, and I know that it the truth. No collectables are involved in this story.

VERY few caches (really, none in my experience) have started life with swag worth less or equal to bottlecaps, used golf balls, or expired coupons, and we all know that is true.

Yeah, and those items as well as the worthless bottlecaps both got into the cache... how??? From unfair and dishonest trading. Nobody is leaving a bottle cap because they thought it was fair trade for that flashlight... nor for the keychain that was left as trade for the flashlight. They wanted that keychain, and all they had was a that bottle cap they picked up on the way to the cache. You know, and I know that it the truth. No collectables are involved in this story.

VERY few caches (really, none in my experience) have started life with swag worth less or equal to bottlecaps, used golf balls, or expired coupons, and we all know that is true.

No argument here. The trash that people leave in a cache is as amazing as it is disappointing. I was just pointing out that bottlecaps are not the only trash left in caches.

While the HD caps and such may be collectible they were left in a protective bag. I hardly think they would have much value if left unprotected in the bottom of an ammo can for very long. How much are they worth when all scratched up and rusty?

~note to self. Don't post to knowschad or he thinks it's a personal attack~

A quick Ebay search of bottle cap(s) excluding the word opener yielded 3950 auctions.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bottle+ca...*&_osacat=0

Of course bottle caps aren't collectable.

and, FYI a search for used golf balls yielded 2100+ auctions

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=used+golf+ball*

So? Your point is what? That there are people that will pay for junk? You know the point I am trying to make. Please stop with the pointless arguments. Haven't you got some avatars to create? Life is too short to put up with your replies.

PS: Yes, any reply from you is most likey a personal attack, but each must be examined for what it is or is not.

Edited by knowschad

So? Your point is what? That there are people that will pay for junk? You know the point I am trying to make. Please stop with the pointless arguments. Haven't you got some avatars to create? Life is too short to put up with your replies.

My point is that there ARE people who collect bottle caps and find used golf balls valuable.

I do not understand why you are getting so worked up over this and make these snide remarks towards me and/or others. You chastise one person for being rude in another forum and then do this here? Interesting.

Nobody forces you to read my replies and nobody forces you to respond.

Just because a person can't imagine that bottle caps or used golf balls could have value is no reason to be rude.

As a side note, I noticed that there were unmarked bottle cap blanks in a few auctions. I think they would be excellent as a signature item if combined with a laser engraver. JMO

Edited by bittsen

A quick Ebay search of bottle cap(s) excluding the word opener yielded 3950 auctions.

Besides, all that proves is that any bottle cap or golf ball that *may* be worth something is more likely to end up on eBay than being dropped in a geocache. You're wasting your time. Please go do something else besides trying to interfere with anything I try to say here. Its getting very boring.

I doubt that those auctions are tossed into a box with no invoice or other explanation and shipped off to the buyer (who already knows what he or she is buying). That is similar to the conditions that are upsetting people (here and elsewhere) about the items they're regularly finding in caches.

I really don't think that the argument is about whether bottle caps are collectible. They clearly are. It's also clear that, as in most collections, context and condition is extremely important. If I were to find a bottle cap in a cache with no label/baggie/etc I would paw past it to look at other things; instead if I found a bottle cap in a bag or even with a little label taped to it explaining what you explained in your post, I would think it was pretty neat. I think that two different things are being argued here.

Let's say a stamp collector were to leave nice stamps in caches... I doubt that he or she would just toss the stamp (that they prize) into the cache without something to protect and provide context. Perhaps for bottle caps the protection is unnecessary but something that shows that it's special is useful to demonstrate value.

Also, used golf balls are a great bargain for a good game of golf. Those auctions aren't generally selling the type of golf ball that one generally finds in caches (usually unmatched, scuffed up singles) but instead are providing nice quality refinished balls. Let's stipulate the value of a randomly nice piece of swag is X. If a seller provided the type of ball that gets the gall of some in this topic and priced them at a price similar to X per ball, they would go out of business quickly as the feedback system is quite efficient.

I just feel like this argument is one part apples, one part oranges and one part argumentativeness. I would love to see it steered back toward discussing apples when apples are being discussed, discussing oranges when oranges are being discussed and hopefully ratcheting down the level of argumentativeness. I was overly argumentative in a topic last night and I regret having brought that into the forums.

I doubt that those auctions are tossed into a box with no invoice or other explanation and shipped off to the buyer (who already knows what he or she is buying). That is similar to the conditions that are upsetting people (here and elsewhere) about the items they're regularly finding in caches.

I really don't think that the argument is about whether bottle caps are collectible. They clearly are. It's also clear that, as in most collections, context and condition is extremely important. If I were to find a bottle cap in a cache with no label/baggie/etc I would paw past it to look at other things; instead if I found a bottle cap in a bag or even with a little label taped to it explaining what you explained in your post, I would think it was pretty neat. I think that two different things are being argued here.

Let's say a stamp collector were to leave nice stamps in caches... I doubt that he or she would just toss the stamp (that they prize) into the cache without something to protect and provide context. Perhaps for bottle caps the protection is unnecessary but something that shows that it's special is useful to demonstrate value.

Also, used golf balls are a great bargain for a good game of golf. Those auctions aren't generally selling the type of golf ball that one generally finds in caches (usually unmatched, scuffed up singles) but instead are providing nice quality refinished balls. Let's stipulate the value of a randomly nice piece of swag is X. If a seller provided the type of ball that gets the gall of some in this topic and priced them at a price similar to X per ball, they would go out of business quickly as the feedback system is quite efficient.

I just feel like this argument is one part apples, one part oranges and one part argumentativeness. I would love to see it steered back toward discussing apples when apples are being discussed, discussing oranges when oranges are being discussed and hopefully ratcheting down the level of argumentativeness. I was overly argumentative in a topic last night and I regret having brought that into the forums.

My point, as well as other persons point (however gramatically incorrect that statement is) is that, though I won't be putting bottle caps or golf balls in caches, I can see why some would.

Though I don't see how someone could trade a simple bottle cap for a flashlight, I see why someone would (though I honestly doubt anyone who has any ounce of integrity has ever even made that trade).

While I would never take beads out of a cache, I see them frequently and even think some are cool.

While I would never take an advertisement magnet out of a cache, my caching friend actually did.

People are different all over the world. Sure there is often "junk" inside caches but to just wholesale your opinion of what IS junk on the rest of the caching community is pointless and, frankly, elitist.

If you get upset over the little thing, you are a person who likes to be upset. It's simple.

My whole approach to this thing is if it offends you (generic "you", not personal "you") so much that there is crap (ie junk, not actual feces) as cache swag then maybe its time to stop looking inside caches. You will NOT change the caching community by summoning the whaaambulance every time you find swag you don't like, appreciate, understand, etc.

And, I welcome opposite opinions, sans personal snipes. I am not allowed to snipe back. That has been made perfectly clear.

editing to add that, yes in a perfect world people would "protect" the "valuable" swag but in the real practice of the world, I don't think most people do.

The gemstones I place in caches are actually protected minimally in a plastic ziploc. The rest of the swag is not (and none of it is, in my opinion, overly valuable). I don't carry high value swag as a practice but on one cache I wish I did. I liked something but had nothing similar value to trade so I left it behind.

Edited by bittsen
[i doubt that those auctions are tossed into a box with no invoice or other explanation and shipped off to the buyer (who already knows what he or she is buying). That is similar to the conditions that are upsetting people (here and elsewhere) about the items they're regularly finding in caches.

Exactly. Thank you. Nobody that knows the value of a bottlecap, used golf ball, or maybe even the expired, but collectable coupon, is going to drop it as swag into an ammo box. I'm not even going to expand that by suggesting that they MIGHT drop a valuable collector's edition, but put it in a special case to protect it. Nope... a bottle cap in a cache is trash, not a collectable item. A used golf ball in a cache is junk left with no intention other than to leave junk. An expired coupon is pure garbage, and it not an equal trade for anything but the previously two mentioned items.

My whole approach to this thing is if it offends you (generic "you", not personal "you") so much that there is crap (ie junk, not actual feces) as cache swag then maybe its time to stop looking inside caches. You will NOT change the caching community by... [posting about it on the forums]

This is actually a point I agree with (following the elipses in brackets are my words rather than what you wrote) just because I think the forums are visited by a very small portion of the caching community. I'm not sure how to change the community since it's so diverse and people play in a HUGE variety of ways. If one raises it in the local forums or even discusses it with caching buddies, there is only so far a message will go without being subject to "telephone game" degradation. I don't have answers to this but it's clearly not an easy question (if it were easy, it would be solved)...

My point is that there ARE people who collect bottle caps and find used golf balls valuable.

I do not understand why you are getting so worked up over this and make these snide remarks towards me and/or others. You chastise one person for being rude in another forum and then do this here? Interesting.

Nobody forces you to read my replies and nobody forces you to respond.

Just because a person can't imagine that bottle caps or used golf balls could have value is no reason to be rude.

As a side note, I noticed that there were unmarked bottle cap blanks in a few auctions. I think they would be excellent as a signature item if combined with a laser engraver. JMO

OK, let me try a different tact:

You just put out a cache. You spend tens of dollars filling it with the best swag you could find and afford, ight? You revisit that cache, for whatever reason, in a month or two. You find that LED flashlight that cost you $8, swapped out for a soggy, expired carwash coupon. The $1 alumininum carabiner, swapped for a beer bottle cap. The $10 multi-tool clone has been exchanged equally or better for a 25 cent superball. Come on, Bittsen... you don't have a lot of hides, and only one that is big enough to hold much swag, but you have found enough to empathise, I'm sure. Trash is trash, we all know what is trash, and rationalizations don't change that fact. There ARE no collector bottle caps or golfballs in caches, and you dadgummed know it.

Am I the only one who only looks for the log and TB's in caches?

Am I the only one who gets to the cache, finds it, and only thinks of the hike to get there, the view when I find it, or the sense of accomplishment that I did find the creative hide?

Am I the only one who could give two hoots less what is in the cache to trade?

I go for the hunt and the thrill of the find. And by find I mean container/location only. I'd rather find an empty save for log, well hidden decon container at the end of a nice hike with a great view than a mediocre ammo box hide filled with swag (good or otherwise) any day.

OK, let me try a different tact:

You just put out a cache. You spend tens of dollars filling it with the best swag you could find and afford, ight? You revisit that cache, for whatever reason, in a month or two. You find that LED flashlight that cost you $8, swapped out for a soggy, expired carwash coupon. The $1 alumininum carabiner, swapped for a beer bottle cap. The $10 multi-tool clone has been exchanged equally or better for a 25 cent superball. Come on, Bittsen... you don't have a lot of hides, and only one that is big enough to hold much swag, but you have found enough to empathise, I'm sure. Trash is trash, we all know what is trash, and rationalizations don't change that fact. There ARE no collector bottle caps or golfballs in caches, and you dadgummed know it.

OK, lets reply to your different tact.

I would NEVER be so delusional that I thought an $8 LED flashlight could be left in an ammo can and return something of equal value, nor the $10 multitool. The $1 beener, maybe.

The reality is that I am not about to put an item in a cache that is worth more than a couple bucks. Why? Because i KNOW there are a lot of cachers (not going to speculate on the percentage) that would find a good value item and just take it. I don't care to fathom what they would "trade" for it. I KNOW human nature and the "less honest" outnumber the "totally honest". There have been many studies with varying ratio that back up what I am saying.

My hides aren't even a factor in my ideals. It's not important BUT, I am tempted to get a big OL ammo can and make a cache thats sole goal will be to get filled with bottle caps and used golf balls. I love an attainable goal.

For me, I was mad when my first cache was muggled. I got over it and moved on.

If someone trades all my stocked swag for geocrap, I will get over that too. In fact, I completely expect that that is exactly what will happen.

I have much bigger things to not worry about than the swag in my cache. I may restock it, I may not but it's on the bottom of the worries that I can't be bothered with. It ranks right down there with whether or not people put real cheese on their pizzas.

In the grand scheme of things I would much rather see bottle caps and golf balls in caches than to see no cache at all.

Yeah I'd agree that a regular old bottle cap in a cache would be considered trash by most.

I'd suggest someone could make a cache specifically for bottle caps if they were that interested. Also if it's the history behind bottle caps that moves them, they could make a TB with the goal of visiting bottling companies and/or breweries.

I've been looking for a place to drop off Out of Dusseldorf, just such a TB!