Good Hope, Good Luck, Good Lord I need a shower!

crs98

Good Hope, Good Luck is a 5-star terrain cache hidden in a small pond in Edmonds, WA. It's rated as a 5-star terrain cache because during most times of the year it requires a boat to access the cache. In dry years, however, the pond dries up enough to allow people to wade a bit and slide through the muck to reach the cache site without a boat. That's convenient because the pond doesn't have any access to a boat launch--you have to carry one in to the pond to try that approach.

As 2009 has been one of the hotter and drier summers in some time, I'm hoping that it will be more accessible later this fall. Rather than just trudge through the mud myself, I'm hoping to entice others to join me in the attempt. I've somewhat arbitrarily picked Sunday, Sept. 20th at 2pm as the date for trying this (mostly because that date isn't already booked with other commitments for me). I've chatted with the CO (Joe and the JAE Family) and he plans to be there to laugh at all of us who attempt to get to the cache through the muck.

I had thought about organizing an event cache in support of this attempt, but a careful reading of the Geocaching.com guidelines indicates that this activity isn't what an event cache is supposed to be; they suggest organizing such a hunt in the forums (hence this post). Depending on the interest, I may decide to organize a post-hunt dinner that would be an event cache. I'd even allow sufficient time to allow people to go home and change clothes before heading into the restaurant. :P

If you're interested, please write a note on the web page or email me about your interest. Also let me know if a post-hunt event would interest you.

--crs98

Ordinarily, I'd be interested, but like a lot of others, I'll be at the Tri-Cities Cache Machine. Bummer, but good luck - hope you find it!

As the cache machine is officially the day before and the event isn't till 2pm, you could make it back if you really wanted to. Having said that, I know most people who go to the cache machine won't be back to this side of the mountains till later in the day.

Ordinarily, I'd be interested, but like a lot of others, I'll be at the Tri-Cities Cache Machine. Bummer, but good luck - hope you find it!

As the cache machine is officially the day before and the event isn't till 2pm, you could make it back if you really wanted to.

Ouch. :P It's not a matter of "really wanting to," but in case you haven't attended a CM - it's a weekend for most folks, not just the day, and that includes the other people in my carpool. We usually do part of the route on Sunday before heading home, as we usually can't get it all done Saturday. You travel over there, you want to max your weekend visit. :)

But thanks for alerting us to an interesting cache to try in the future, even if we can't do it with you on TCCM weekend.

PLUS, the drive alone is at least 4 1/2 hours for most around here and then, we'd need to switch gears to drive another 2 hours to Edmonds. As hydnsek stated - Thank You for the alert-

P.S. Couldn't YOU change your date and you did say you'd like to make it an event SO, you'd need a certain period to cement the date :rolleyes:

PLUS, the drive alone is at least 4 1/2 hours for most around here and then, we'd need to switch gears to drive another 2 hours to Edmonds. As hydnsek stated - Thank You for the alert-

P.S. Couldn't YOU change your date and you did say you'd like to make it an event SO, you'd need a certain period to cement the date :rolleyes:

It's possible to change the date, and I will if there is sufficient interest and the date doesn't work for most people who are interested and we can find another date that would. At least one other person has responded to me directly that the date doesn't work for her either.

I am starting with the assumption that weekends work best since many (including myself) work and would have a difficult time doing it on a non-weekend. I'm out of town the previous weekend on business, so that would be out for me. I am booked on the 19th, but could do it Saturday the 26th if that works better. I really don't want this to get too much later into the year because the rain can easily start coming down and turn this into a full fledged five-star cache again.

I am booked on the 19th, but could do it Saturday the 26th if that works better. I really don't want this to get too much later into the year because the rain can easily start coming down and turn this into a full fledged five-star cache again.

I think part of the challenge is that most weekends are already booked with geocaching activities this month. Saturday, Sept 26, is the Lake Valhalla hiking event that some of us are going to, as well as the Talk like a Pirate event.

Sundays are less likely to have an outing planned, and I also look at the geocaching calendar to see what's already scheduled when trying to set something up, if I want it to be a group outing. There are two places you can check - Geocaching.com's upcoming events and Shop99er's very handy Northwest Caching Calendar. Hope that helps!

Edited by hydnsek