ALR on a multi

Puppy Dawg

The CO can't enforce it, right? Just making sure...

Additional Logging REQUIREMENTS, originally mandatory for logging are no longer enforceable

Additional Logging REQUESTS, optional suggestions from the CO might just be worth following through - depending on the specific situation - but still aren't enforceable.

fixed Edited by sbell111

Additional Logging Requirements are not permitted on any Physical Caches.

Once the physical cache log/logbook has been signed, the cache may be logged online.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines...gingofallcaches

Logging of All Physical Caches

Geocaches can be logged online as Found once the physical log has been signed.

If it is appropriate for your cache location or theme, you may ask the cache seeker to accomplish an optional and simple task, either close to the cache site (normally within 0.1 miles or 161 meters) or when writing their online log. For example, wear the goofy hat inside the cache container and upload a photograph. Cache finders can choose whether or not to attempt or accomplish optional tasks. Cache owners may not delete the cache seeker's log based solely on optional tasks.

This guideline change applies immediately to all logs written from April 4, 2009 and going forward. Older caches with "additional logging requirements" (ALRs) are not grandfathered under the older guideline. If you own an existing cache with mandatory additional logging requirements, we request that you:

* Cease deleting logs based on additional logging requirements.

* Review your own cache listing to see if the ALR can be made into an optional and simple task, or whether it must be removed altogether.

* Adjust your geocache listing by editing the text then contact a reviewer to change the cache type, if appropriate.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama
Challenges, and that the guidelines say contact a reviewer to change the cachetype, if appropriate. BTW, is the end of challenges?
The "Mystery or Puzzle" class is a catch-all. It includes typical puzzle caches, but it also includes caches that aren't really puzzles, but which don't really fit in the other classes for some reason.

Challenge caches are the one special exception to the "No ALR" rule, and they have to be listed as "Mystery or Puzzle" caches. But that doesn't make all other "Mystery or Puzzle" caches into challenge caches, and it doesn't make non-challenge "Mystery or Puzzle" caches an exception to the "No ALR" rule.

Here's the cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...be-4c36a4afff3a

When I log, I'll probable go with "FTF TFTC" and not submit the answers. It is doomed. Already a little wet inside the first two (altoids tin) stages, but strangely not the third (Gladware) stage. Given how the haiku pieces are in the cache, I would guess at least half of them have been lost by know. The ALR will be impossible to complete.

The cache has only been out for a couple days. Even gladware shouldn't fail that quickly, I would think.

Challenges, and that the guidelines say contact a reviewer to change the cachetype, if appropriate. BTW, is the end of challenges?
The "Mystery or Puzzle" class is a catch-all. It includes typical puzzle caches, but it also includes caches that aren't really puzzles, but which don't really fit in the other classes for some reason.

Challenge caches are the one special exception to the "No ALR" rule, and they have to be listed as "Mystery or Puzzle" caches. But that doesn't make all other "Mystery or Puzzle" caches into challenge caches, and it doesn't make non-challenge "Mystery or Puzzle" caches an exception to the "No ALR" rule.

I forgot to mention that the point about changing the cache type is based on the previous version of the guidelines, which allowed ALR, but which required ALR caches to be listed as "Mystery or Puzzle" caches. If the only reason a cache is a "Mystery or Puzzle" cache is that it has an ALR (based on the previous guidelines), then the owner can ask a reviewer to change it to a "Traditional" cache now that the ALR is no longer enforceable (based on the current guidelines).

The requirements for approved challenge caches are still enforceable, which is why they're still listed as "Mystery or Puzzle" caches.

The CO can't enforce it, right? Just making sure...

Yes they can. You haven't described the ALR so I can't hazard an opinion as to the ALR is being areal one, or if it falls short of the ALR standard.

Regardless they have the ability to enforce an ALR if it remains on the cache. You have the ability to have this site force your log to be reinstated or the cache be archived if it is an ALR.

The forum comments on the cache belong in the forum.

This cache (since someone posted it) now qualifies as an ARL. An easy ALR to comply with. It should be a non issue. Heck it should be grandfathered. But nope. This site banned ALR's and then allowed an exception, and worse forced the exception to only be in ALR format.

If you have to complete the challenge before you get the coords, it's not an ALR. For some reason that's not allowed. That is exactly how I would run my challenge though. I don't like policing logs. It's far simpler to give out coords to those who have done the work first rather than the backwards way.