Alternative Hike of the Month (AHOTM)

hydnsek

Well just to let you all know, I won't be making it as originally planned. A week ago I had a major plan changer come up so I went ahead and canceled my reserved spot. Well a couple days ago my major plans were canceled as well so I set up an alternate hike with some co-workers and due to there time restraints they wouldn't have been able to make it to Aix, so we decided to climb Mt. Si on saturday and maybe go after Geocache as well.

I know that I'm going to miss out on a really cool time with all of you but maybe in the near future I'll throw my name in for another HOTM. Take care all and have a great time!

If anyone has an extra pair of gaiters, I'd be super thankful if you brought them. My gaiters and micro spikes did not make it in time and I can't wait until tomorrow for them obviously. I have yak trax, which should be fine, I'll know when enough is enough as far as conditions go, but the gaiters would sure be helpful.

See everyone out there :rolleyes:

PS if we've never met, I'm the guy with the ridiculous beard.

Well, I came back a day early, though my original plans didn't include the Saturday night stay. Whatever. Hike was amazing. Really pushed my limits and my feet since I bought a pair of hiking boots the day before, smart huh? But seriously, amazing weather, amazing views and amazing friends! I'm not sure if I'll do this one again, it was tough, but I'd suggest anyone who is down for a tough hike, but good views, go do this now!

I'll post more and some pictures later. I'm beat and need a shower! Thanks to everyone, new and old friends alike :unsure:

Well, I came back a day early, though my original plans didn't include the Saturday night stay. Whatever. Hike was amazing. Really pushed my limits and my feet since I bought a pair of hiking boots the day before, smart huh? But seriously, amazing weather, amazing views and amazing friends! I'm not sure if I'll do this one again, it was tough, but I'd suggest anyone who is down for a tough hike, but good views, go do this now!

I'll post more and some pictures later. I'm beat and need a shower! Thanks to everyone, new and old friends alike :)

I'm back home now as well, after stopping at The Harvester in Tacoma for breakfast. It was a great hike with incredible views and a great bunch of hikers. Special thanks to Vic of Og's outfit for the awesome after-hike dinner. I'm a bit sunburned right now, but the leg soreness isn't as bad as I was expecting. Seriously though people, we have some of the most beautiful hikes in the country; is everyone so numbers hungry they skip these hikes to drive around in parking lots instead? :unsure:

Anyway, even though it's gonna hurt my sunburn, I'm off to get a hot shower to wash the stink off. I'll post pics later or tomorrow.

Edited by Criminal

Ahhh... It's good to be home. We made it back to Enumclaw around 10:30, unpacked, showered, had a sandwich and napped. My sunburn is worse than I thought last night but my blisters are better. :unsure:

It was a weekend to remember! I enjoyed every minute of it!

It's hard to decide what picture to post here, I'll just share my favorite one................

37508_1550377598293_1200695865_1541746_6678519_n.jpg

so....about them beans....

Do you have something you'd like to share, Dustin?

The real question is, would you like to share something with me? Like, the recipe perhaps?

Seriously though, the beans were by far the BEST beans I've ever had. Wish I wasn't stuffed at that point or I could have sampled that chicken too!

So where are we all going next month?

Miracle beans indeed, I only had 2 helpings and my legs were cramp free all night.

The best beans ever. They kept us warm all night and then powered us up to Sourdough Gap today

against a breeze strong enough to blow the dog off the chain. We're not sure if it was the beans or

the breeze that were making the snow melt so fast that we could see it shrinking.

Aix was a lot more fun than it should have been thanks to all of our fantastic hiking companions,

but next time, we want the beans before and after the hike.

I had a great time on the hike and I'm already making plans to go camping again at Bumping Lake. Yeah, not so sure I'll do that trail again anytime soon, but the views were completely worth it! Wish I could have camped Saturday night as well and hung out with everyone a bit longer. Great group of people! I can't wait for the next adventure. :)

My pictures are here.

Ok, time to kick-start the AHOTM. We had a couple below-the-radar camping hikes in the North Cascades, which were excellent (see: Hidden Lake Lookout, Cascade Pass Trailhead, Lookout Lookout), but now we're back in the forum and I'm looking south....

This Saturday, Oct. 16 - The Art of Summitree. WSGA August 2010 Cache of the Month. This great hike takes you up and across the Plains of Abraham on the eastern flank of Mt. St. Helens, with great views all around.

We'll start/end at Windy Ridge. Meet in the parking area at 9:30 am. Be sure to allow enough time to get there (about 2 hours for me).

Trailhead Coordinates: N46 14.952 W122 08.199

Distance - 11.5 miles round trip. Elevation Gain - 540 feet in, 480 feet out, total 1020. Lucyandrickie said the hike took them about six hours.

Other caches we'll get: Mount St Helens - Windy Ridge, Harry Truman's Spirit Lake, Plains of Abraham, Where Abraham Was Taken Up.

Who's in?

Edited by hydnsek

Ok, time to kick-start the AHOTM. We had a couple below-the-radar camping hikes in the North Cascades, which were excellent (see: Hidden Lake Lookout, Cascade Pass Trailhead, Lookout Lookout), but now we're back in the forum and I'm looking south....

This Saturday, Oct. 16 - The Art of Summitree. WSGA August 2010 Cache of the Month. This great hike takes you up and across the Plains of Abraham on the eastern flank of Mt. St. Helens, with great views all around.

We'll start/end at Windy Ridge. Meet in the parking area at 9:30 am. Be sure to allow enough time to get there (about 2 hours for me).

Distance - 11.5 miles round trip. Elevation Gain - 540 feet in, 480 feet out, total 1020. Lucyandrickie said the hike took them about six hours.

Other caches we'll get: Mount St Helens - Windy Ridge, Harry Truman's Spirit Lake, Plains of Abraham, Where Abraham Was Taken Up.

Who's in?

Well, bummer. This is the first time nobody's wanted to do an AHOTM. Maybe interest has just petered out. If you're interested in doing this hike but on a different day, let me know. I'd sure like to go!

Well, bummer. This is the first time nobody's wanted to do an AHOTM. Maybe interest has just petered out. If you're interested in doing this hike but on a different day, let me know. I'd sure like to go!

It's hard to get excited about hiking on biking trails. Make it a ride instead of a hike and we'd perk up a little.

We probably can't go anyway because we have some home projects to finish first and we never seem to get

them done as fast as we'd like to think we will.

It's hard to get excited about hiking on biking trails. Make it a ride instead of a hike and we'd perk up a little.

We probably can't go anyway because we have some home projects to finish first and we never seem to get

them done as fast as we'd like to think we will.

It's a multi-use trail, like many others we've been on. I don't believe folks usually bike from the Windy Ridge side, I was planning to follow the hiking route that EraSeek and lucyandrickie took. It's a fascinating area, and I don't mountain-bike, so....still Hike of the month.

Edited by hydnsek

Generally, I'm interested in these, but I don't check the forum every day and the family usually requires a bit more planning ahead than a few days... Since this morning is the first I've read of the hike, it is hard to commit to going tomorrow. Maybe the next one!

-Krauss-McClurg

Ok, based on feedback via email, I'm proposing the same plan, new date:

Saturday, Oct. 23 - The Art of Summitree. WSGA August 2010 Cache of the Month (EraSeek hide). This great hike takes you up and across the Plains of Abraham on the eastern flank of Mt. St. Helens, with great views all around.

Who's in?

So far:

GrnXnham (2)

Kiersolvd - maybe

Rey del Roble

hydnsek

Yes, GeoBoo and Whodunnit are the same day. That was considered by those wanting to go next weekend; you can put on your scary clothes and attend after the hike.

Edited by hydnsek

Ok, based on feedback via email, I'm proposing the same plan, new date:

Who's in?

So far:

GrnXnham (2)

Kiersolvd - maybe

Rey del Roble

hydnsek

Yes, GeoBoo and Whodunnit are the same day. That was considered by those wanting to go next weekend; you can put on your scary clothes and attend after the hike.

Great news! I thought that sounded fun but had other plans for today. Count me in for next weekend.

Ok, based on feedback via email, I'm proposing the same plan, new date (Oct 23):

Who's in?

So far:

GrnXnham (2)

Kiersolvd - maybe

Rey del Roble

hydnsek

Great news! I thought that sounded fun but had other plans for today. Count me in for next weekend.

Well, the weather forecast sucks. Big storm moving in this weekend, with steady rain predicted Saturday. GrnXnham indicated they didn't want to go if we didn't have the views, and I agree, that's a key reason for the hike. So, I'm canceling this AHOTM. Let's all enjoy the Halloween events instead!

Edited by hydnsek