Alternative Hike of the Month (AHOTM)

hydnsek

looks like fun, but because of other commitments, Sunday is not a good day for me to attend these.. do you guys ever hold one of these on a Saturday? or maybe I should start an "Alternate-Alternate HOtM" thread :anicute:

The HOTM is usually on Saturdays.

I haven't had much time to think about that. Between trojans and now the garage door snapping a spring... I think I ticked off somebody and I need to make amends.

Please note date change - it's a Saturday AHOTM now.

Who's in?

May AHOTM: Return to Squak Mountain. Saturday, May 22. This will be a through-hike from north to south; not sure of distance, let's say 6 miles (depends on number of cache detours). Our destination cache is Ode to a Crazy Monkey, nolenator's tribute to his recently archived Crazy Monkey Tripod.

Meetup: 9:30 am at the south (May Valley) entrance: N 47 28.900 W 122 03.261

We'll then carpool to the north entrance on Sierra Court and hike from there: 47 30.993 122 03.479

There are four caches I hope to get on this trek (been there, done the rest), and if you've never been to Squak, you might want to explore further, as it has several interesting caches, including one of the oldest in the state (Tie Mill, part of the History Challenge) and the historic Bullitt Fireplace (cache). My plan is to have lunch at Bullitt Fireplace, so that's definitely on the route.

Who's in?

The 22nd is the day of the area 99 event in port orchard. Not sure which I'll go to, but the hike does sound like the option for me.

Carp, I knew there was a reason I didn't choose that day originally. Most Saturdays are taken with caching events, which is why many of our hikes wind up on Sunday. Well, I'm sticking to the new date unless I hear a groundswell to move it to Sunday.

Hmm. A Saturday hike I could probably do. I'll have to double check tough. Any idea what the elevation gain going over the top is?

From Sierra Court TH, the gain over the peak is about 900 ft. However, we won't go right over the top.

Thanks. One consideration is whether my kids would be able to survive the hike or not.

This is late, but for anyone who was along for the rattlesnake ledge hike, here are a few photos I snapped along the way. Feel free to grab them and do what you want with them or if for some reason, you want a hi res version for a scrap book or whatever, get in touch and I'll send over a bigger file for printing.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4189...mp;l=fc44d22fc8

PS hydnsek, count me in for three on the next hike. Mom and GF are both game, especially if it's Saturday. My mom said after the last hike, she needs the Sunday to recoup, haha, but we're okay with either day...

May AHOTM: Return to Squak Mountain. Saturday, May 22. This is a through-hike from north to south; not sure of distance, let's say 6 miles (depends on number of cache detours). Our destination cache is Ode to a Crazy Monkey, nolenator's tribute to his recently archived Crazy Monkey Tripod.

Meetup: 9:30 am at the south (May Valley) entrance: N 47 28.900 W 122 03.261

We'll then carpool to the north entrance on Sierra Court and hike from there: 47 30.993 122 03.479

There are four caches I hope to get on this trek (been there, done the rest), and if you've never been to Squak, you might want to explore further, as it has several interesting caches, including one of the oldest in the state (Tie Mill, part of the History Challenge) and the historic Bullitt Fireplace (cache). My plan is to have lunch at Bullitt Fireplace, so that's definitely on the route.

So far, the only definites are B+L (2) and NWCREW (3), both going for their #700 milestone along the way. Anybody else?

Edited by hydnsek

You might want to take bear precautions while out on the trails, since they seem to be out of hibernation.

We're hiking in a group, so shouldn't be any concerns. Besides, bear bells are way annoying (and of questionable efficacy), and pepper spray isn't that effective, either. I don't worry much about bears, even hiking alone. The bears will run when given a chance (I've mainly seen their backsides). Caveat: I wouldn't want to get between a mother and cubs, and if we were in grizzly country, my answer would be completely different. ;)

Cougar Mtn has at least one sow and cubs roaming every year by this time. I always wonder where papa is, cos the sitings are always of mama and kids. They've been seen in previous years near a couple of my caches. And then, of course, there's the shy bear who mauled the stump where Shy Bear Pass cache was, looking for grubs, so I had to relocate the cache.

Edited by hydnsek

I calculated 578 feet.

Really? Well, well, well. :)

Our AHOTM on Squak Mountain started out rainy, but turned sunny toward the end, just in time for the group photo and celebration of #700 for B+L and NWCREW at Squak Mtn Lookout. Had some interesting adventures along the way, more than usual, maybe. But everyone survived unscathed. Whew. :)

Group shot: LandRover, B+L, NWCREW

a297a66d-704d-401d-9cae-2f0eb2356b88.jpg

I calculated 578 feet.

Really? Well, well, well. ;)

Our AHOTM on Squak Mountain started out rainy, but turned sunny toward the end, just in time for the group photo and celebration of #700 for B+L and NWCREW at Squak Mtn Lookout. Had some interesting adventures along the way, more than usual, maybe. But everyone survived unscathed. Whew. :huh:

Group shot: LandRover, B+L, NWCREW

a297a66d-704d-401d-9cae-2f0eb2356b88.jpg

No Hydnsek curse? ;)

That's a short looking tower!

It's cache maintenance time ahead of GeoWoodstock, so my AHOTM for June is a run up to Whidbey to maintain Perego's Lagoon, which is on a loop with the famous Ebey Bluffs cache. This is a wonderful 3.5-mile loop hike that goes up the bluffs and then down the beach.

I'm currently looking at Saturday, June 19 (Sunday is fallback). Of course, I'll be caching around Whidbey while there.

Please chime in if you'd like to carpool up with me (from Bellevue area) or meet me there in early afternoon (parking is at N 48° 11.545 W 122° 42.516).

Edited by hydnsek

It's cache maintenance time ahead of GeoWoodstock, so my AHOTM for June is a run up to Whidbey to maintain Perego's Lagoon, which is on a loop with the famous Ebey Bluffs cache. This is a wonderful 3.5-mile loop hike that goes up the bluffs and then down the beach.

I'm currently looking at Saturday, June 19 (Sunday is fallback). Of course, I'll be caching around Whidbey while there.

If anybody wants to carpool up with me, or meet me there in early afternoon (parking is at N 48° 11.545 W 122° 42.516), please chime in.

If anyone from B'ham is going, would you mind a tagalong in exchange for some gas money? I've always wanted to do Eby Bluffs.

If anybody wants to carpool up with me, or meet me there in early afternoon (parking is at N 48° 11.545 W 122° 42.516), please chime in.

That sounds like fun. I'll check my schedule and let you know.

Early advisory on July AHOTM:

AHOTM - Saturday, July 17. Challenging 12-mile hike in vertical terrain to Aix & Pains. Be prepared, this will be the hardest AHOTM yet and not for the timid. Cross-posted in this thread.

Who's interested?

So far we have: Og's Outfit, GrnXnham, Love, Alnilam, NWCREW, Criminal, TotemLake. Shaping up to be a triple threat - a combined HOTM/AHOTM/Off-Week hike.

Don't confuse this with the June 19 AHOTM on Whidbey, which is in previous posts.

Edited by hydnsek

Please chime in if you'd like to carpool up with me (from Bellevue area) or meet me there in early afternoon (parking is at N 48° 11.545 W 122° 42.516).

Well, nobody wanted to do this one with me, so it ain't happening tomorrow. I'll probably go early next week.

However, the AHOTM on July 19 to Aix and Pains is definitely on, with many of us camping at Bumping Lake. Most of the conversation is going on in this thread.

So far, the intrepid hikers for Aix and Pains are:

Og's Outfit (cache owner)

LandRover

GrnXnham

Cache Krawler

NW CREW

Love

Alnilam

TotemLake (maybe)

Criminal

BrewerMD

B+L

hydnsek

Edited by hydnsek

However, the AHOTM on July 19 to Aix and Pains is definitely on, with many of us camping at Bumping Lake. Most of the conversation is going on in this thread.

LandRover

GrnXnham

Cache Krawler

NW CREW

Love

Alnilam

TotemLake (maybe)

Criminal

BrewerMD

B+L

hydnsek

Less than a week away! Come on snow!!!! melt melt melt :ph34r:

My husband and I (mostly him) are offering to cook for the camping group on Saturday evening. Let me know if you want to join us and depending on the number, we'll ask for a few $ from each to cover the expense.

LandRover

GrnXnham

Cache Krawler

NW CREW

Love

Alnilam

TotemLake (maybe)

Criminal

BrewerMD

B+L

hydnsek

Less than a week away! Come on snow!!!! melt melt melt :ph34r:

My husband and I (mostly him) are offering to cook for the camping group on Saturday evening. Let me know if you want to join us and depending on the number, we'll ask for a few $ from each to cover the expense.

TR from a friday climb.

LandRover

GrnXnham

Cache Krawler

NW CREW

Love

Alnilam

TotemLake (maybe)

Criminal

BrewerMD

B+L

hydnsek

Less than a week away! Come on snow!!!! melt melt melt :)

TR from a friday climb.

First, I'm in for the Og dinner, let me know how much I owe and what to bring.

Second, after reading the above trip report on Aix and discussing the Tubal Cain trek with Og, we decided to offer a choice of hikes for Saturday. The hard-core hikers can head to Aix and Pains, as planned. Those interested in a good hike with interesting sights but less fear factor can head to another Og cache, Log Jams, Ant Lions and and a Waterfall, OH MY. This one sounds equally fascinating, and may be my preference. We're interested in hearing who's up for what, so let us know! LandRover also mentioned Fryingpan Mtn.

LandRover

GrnXnham

Cache Krawler

NW CREW

Love

Alnilam

TotemLake (maybe)

Criminal

BrewerMD

B+L

hydnsek

Less than a week away! Come on snow!!!! melt melt melt :laughing:

Og, the two of us are in on the dinner. Should we bring something?

Just bring your own drink(s), and a few bucks for the food.

Anyone else? We need to know by tomorrow (Thu) afternoon.

And yes, NWCREW the aroma is free. :)

Add me to the PETA list. (people eating tasty animals)

I will also partake of the Vic-tuals. Has he decided what he’s going to make?

Anyone else? We need to know by tomorrow (Thu) afternoon.

And yes, NWCREW the aroma is free. :)

Wish I could but I'll be on my way back to Seattle for my roommate's birthday dinner after the hike. I'm totally down with sharing some smores on Friday night though. :D

Btw - who's swimming out to get GCPWDY with me? :)