Alternative Hike of the Month (AHOTM)

hydnsek

Our track is almost exactly 9 miles long, although we did not remove any of the scribbles where we stopped.

The weather was fantastic and we really enjoyed doing this hike with a wonderful group of people. We'll have

to train for the next one so that it will be easier to keep up with Becka. :(

a4q15f.jpg

Yes, there will be a March AHOTM! No, it's not Rattlesnake (sorry, B+L :)).

Sunday, March 28, Annette Lake Trailhead, 9:00 am - AHOTM Goes Ape!

N 47 23.553 W 121 28.445

Exit 47 off I-90, west of Snoqualmie Pass

Yep, we're hiking to the APE cache, picking up a few caches en route, and possibly placing a couple new ones. This is partly a scouting mission for WSGA's APE cache event during GeoWoodstock, and is a joint mission with the Pokey Plodders from 48 North. (Watch for a Pokey Plodders event to be posted for the breakfast meet-up.)

The round trip is about 4 miles, with roughly 600 ft of elevation change, most of it in the first mile.

I will most likely be there. I have all of the caches up there except the one to the right once you get to the main trail, can't remember the name though. Wouldn't mind finding a ride from at least north bend to save a few bucks on the permit, I'll pitch in a few bucks for whoever I ride with though :)

Edited by NWCREW

I will most likely be there. I have all of the caches up there except the one to the left once you get to the main trail, can't remember the name though. Wouldn't mind finding a ride from at least north bend to save a few bucks on the permit, I'll pitch in a few bucks for whoever I ride with though :)

PM me the coords where you want to meet.

I'd love to join but I'm on the move next weekend - I accepted a job with Expedia in Summerlin, NV (Las Vegas). I'll sure miss hiking with you guys!

Congrats! :) And you will definitely be missed, my friend. Best wishes in your new job and home.

Flutey - those dupe posts are software burps. Happens sometimes.

I will most likely be there. I have all of the caches up there except the one to the left once you get to the main trail, can't remember the name though. Wouldn't mind finding a ride from at least north bend to save a few bucks on the permit, I'll pitch in a few bucks for whoever I ride with though :)

I'll be coming form Federal Way so if you want we could hook up there.

Should you accept this challenge there are only a couple of rules for riding in the Land Rover:

1. I usually stop at McD's for a Mc(fill in the blank). If you're hungry and want something too, BRING YOUR OWN MONEY and don't say "I'm hungry but didn't bring any money" in a whiny voice.

2. At the end of the day don't leave you garbage in the Land Rover take it with you.

3. Don't make me come up with any new rules for the next newbie.

Note: Absence of emoticons intentional!

Yes, there will be a March AHOTM! No, it's not Rattlesnake (sorry, B+L :)).

Well in that case, we are not going. Actually, we can't go because we are anchored down all weekend.

I guess it's a good thing we've done those caches already. We did save the one hidden on the nature

trail to be used for traffic jam relief at some unspecified time in the future.

We're going to miss you luluonthego. Travel safe.

luluonthego, so sad to see you leave washington, maybe you'll be back? Enjoy the next step in your journey, can't wait to hear about it.

I talked to my mother who seems to be a regular on these hikes and she is interested. So I may or may not need a ride for two people or I'm willing to grab someone extra from the south end(Puyallup/Tacoma area) and bring them along. I'll let you know totemlake or landrover if I need a ride, lol.

I like your idea lulu. Can we start with June 11 or possibly the 12th? I'll be down south with 3 muggle friends from the 4th-12th. 2 nites each at North Rim, Zion, Bryce and Las Vegas.

We're having problems deciding what to in LV. One doesn't want to go to shows. One doesn't want to raft a section of the Colorado. None of them want to go caching, so I'd be happy to get kidnapped. Our flight doesn't leave until late on the 12th, so that's an option for something. Although I might melt in the heat. We're tentatively talking about doing Red Rock on the 12th.

Sunday, March 28, Annette Lake Trailhead, 9:00 am - AHOTM Goes Ape!

N 47 23.553 W 121 28.445

Exit 47 off I-90, west of Snoqualmie Pass

Yep, we're hiking to the APE cache, picking up a few caches en route, and possibly placing a couple new ones. This is partly a scouting mission for WSGA's APE cache event during GeoWoodstock, and is a joint mission with the Pokey Plodders from 48 North. Event is posted: Pokey Plodders Go Ape

The round trip is about 4 miles, with roughly 600 ft of elevation change, most of it in the first mile.

Anybody know if snow will be an issue? Normally this would be a snowshoe hike in March, but this has been a low-snow year.

So far, for the AHOTM group, I have:

NWCREW

LandRover

TotemLake (or maybe he's a Pokey Plodder :wub:)

hydnsek

Other attendees are signed up on the event page.

(Note to self: Don't ride with LandRover. He's no fun - no money, no trash...)

Edited by hydnsek

Anybody know if snow will be an issue? Normally this would be a snowshoe hike in March, but this has been a low-snow year.

There was 6 inch-ish along the freeway when we drove through there a few days ago. I would assume there's just enough snow on the trail to be a hassle and not enough to use snow shoes. Enjoy!

Current weather up there is - snow.

The Iron Horse/John Wayne trail where we will be hiking is right at the snowline although the trailhead is clear of any snow at this time. I stopped at the Hyak parking lot and snow was about 3-4 inches at the lot and up to 10 inches at the tunnel entrance. It's very protected at the entrance so consider this an extreme.

I figure we might see 2-4 inches at the cache site depending upon how the weather goes over the next couple of days.

Edited by TotemLake

AHOTM had a great time going Ape with the Pokey Plodders! :D I think this was my 4th visit to the Ape cache, but I still managed to get three new caches besides the event. It was also great reconnaissance for the WSGA Ape event we're hosting in conjunction with GeoWoodstock VIII. Congrats to those who achieved milestones at the Ape:

katfish425 - 100

TheMcMorrows - 500

GlacierGlider - 1400

4a284e18-059c-4f43-8f9d-43ec1c1efb39.jpg

For April, I'm looking at heading down to get the final for Shelrik's Center of the Triad Challenge.

This is for folks who've completed the Northwest Triad - APE cache, Original Stash Plaque, Groundspeak HQ. Make the bookmark list per the challenge page, and you're ready to claim the final.

The cache location is in the backcountry between Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens, and the best route appears to be Hwy 12 to Randle, then south on Hwy 131 and onto Forest Service roads. Gravyman just visited the cache and reported the roads from the Randle direction are passable even w/o 4WD (which I have). The cache page says: "The final location of this cache is seasonal as it is at an elevation of 2686ft, the road is mostly paved and a smaller vehicle can get very close but there are a few potholes on the last leg of the gravel shoot towards the Goat Mountain trailhead it would be the last 1/2 mile that would be questionable but this is up to you and you vehicles capabilities...The drive to the cache is quite beautiful and the scenery is "Awesome" we took highway 12 to Randle and turned towards USForest Road 25 then to Forest Road 26 & then FR 2612..."

I am fairly flexible the next three weekends, so if you're interested, pipe up and also suggest a date.

Edited by hydnsek

For April, I'm looking at heading down to get the final for Shelrik's Center of the Triad Challenge.

This is for folks who've completed the Northwest Triad - APE cache, Original Stash Plaque, Groundspeak HQ. Make the bookmark list per the challenge page, and you're ready to claim the final.

The cache location is in the backcountry between Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens, and the best route appears to be Hwy 12 to Randle, then south on Hwy 131 and onto Forest Service roads. Gravyman just visited the cache and reported the roads from the Randle direction are passable even w/o 4WD (which I have). The cache page says: "The final location of this cache is seasonal as it is at an elevation of 2686ft, the road is mostly paved and a smaller vehicle can get very close but there are a few potholes on the last leg of the gravel shoot towards the Goat Mountain trailhead it would be the last 1/2 mile that would be questionable but this is up to you and you vehicles capabilities...The drive to the cache is quite beautiful and the scenery is "Awesome" we took highway 12 to Randle and turned towards USForest Road 25 then to Forest Road 26 & then FR 2612..."

I am fairly flexible the next three weekends, so if you're interested, pipe up and also suggest a date.

Forget the weekends, my work keeps telling me to burn some vacation time. I keep forgetting about this one, or maybe I will try at the campout. But I could easily take a random week day off.

Okay, not a lot of interest in the Center of the Triad outing. (Andrew, let's talk. :lol: )

How about Rattlesnake Ridge? I keep getting requests for that, so let's do it Sunday, April 18. We'll do a through-hike of this 11-mile trail. Elevation gain is 2520 ft; high point is 3500 ft. You can read more about it and see trip reports on the WTA site: Rattlesnake Mountain. Depending on the number of stops and detours, we can get up to 35 caches, including those around each trailhead.

The meet-up point at 9:00 am will be the parking area at Rattlesnake Ridge Trailhead (West). (The winery is now a public park.) This is exit 27 off I-90 in Snoqualmie.

We'll carpool from there to Rattlesnake Lake off exit 32 (be sure to park in the lot outside the gate, just in case!). Aim for this cache: Rattlesnake Ridge Trailhead (East). Both cache pages have good intel about the trail and parking.

By starting at the lake, we get most of our climb in the beginning as we head up to the Ledges. After that, it's rolling but gradually downhill to the other end. (I've always done the through-hike the other way, gaining elevation gradually to the ledges, then a steep down grade to the lake, but I want to try this way for a change, and some others have requested this route as well.)

Who's in? (Paging B+L...)

Edited by hydnsek

Okay, not a lot of interest in the Center of the Triad outing. (Andrew, let's talk. :lol: )

Who's in? (Paging B+L...)

We are not opposed to the idea of going to the center of the triad, but we would rather do it as a side trip. Rattlesnake on the 18th it is.

I hiked Rattlesnake Ridge March 27. I only found one cache because I was in quite a hurry to get to the other side of the mountain. I thought the trail would be snow free, but there was about six inches starting at about 3000 feet, covering both summits. Once you get toward the middle of the trail, there isn't much use so it can be kind of slippery. I would suggest Yak Trax or other traction devices.

It is officially tick season. Dress and protect accordingly. Penny caught a couple of ticks from last week's hike.

I did some research after last weeks HOTM.

It definitely was a juvenile tick I found crawling on my shirt. It also was the type that carries Lyme disease west of the Rockies. That is second time I have found a tick on my clothing.

How about Rattlesnake Ridge? I keep getting requests for that, so let's do it Sunday, April 18. We'll do a through-hike of this 11-mile trail. Elevation gain is 2520 ft; high point is 3500 ft. You can read more about it and see trip reports on the WTA site: Rattlesnake Mountain. Depending on the number of stops and detours, we can get up to 35 caches, including those around each trailhead.

The meet-up point at 9:00 am will be the parking area at Rattlesnake Ridge Trailhead (West). (The winery is now a public park.) This is exit 27 off I-90 in Snoqualmie.

We'll carpool from there to Rattlesnake Lake off exit 32 (be sure to park in the lot outside the gate, just in case!). Aim for this cache: Rattlesnake Ridge Trailhead (East). Both cache pages have good intel about the trail and parking.

By starting at the lake, we get most of our climb in the beginning as we head up to the Ledges. After that, it's rolling but gradually downhill to the other end. (I've always done the through-hike the other way, gaining elevation gradually to the ledges, then a steep down grade to the lake, but I want to try this way for a change, and some others have requested this route as well.)

Wow, who knew a rattlesnake would be so attractive to folks. B) Nice mixture of usual suspects and newcomers!

Okay, so far I have:

B+L (2)

BrewerMD + dog

CACHE KRAWLER

Alnilam

NWCREW (3)

GrnXnham (2) +2 dogs

Love

Rey del Roble

hydnsek

Right now, looks to be a bit of snow up there, although not enough for snowshoes. Hopefully, it will be mostly gone by our hike in two weeks, as it can make some parts slippery. I'll be bringing my Yaktrax, just in case.

It is officially tick season. Dress and protect accordingly. Penny caught a couple of ticks from last week's hike.

It definitely was a juvenile tick I found crawling on my shirt. It also was the type that carries Lyme disease west of the Rockies. That is second time I have found a tick on my clothing.

We pulled our first tick off one of the dogs at the end of February. Since then we have removed 6-8 more ticks from the dogs.

Yep, it's the season.

We pulled our first tick off one of the dogs at the end of February. Since then we have removed 6-8 more ticks from the dogs.

Yep, it's the season.

After spending $262 for shots, antibiotics and a physical inspection, and boosters on the way, ours has Shield on now.