Alternative Hike of the Month (AHOTM)

hydnsek

For awhile I will have the six other days of the week pretty much available though for future hikes though.

Uh oh - sorry to hear that (I think). We'll miss you Sunday, but hopefully we can hike together soon.

So the Green Beret platoon musters with 10:

Johnny Boy

NWCREW (3)

Sol Seaker

Alnilam

B+L (2)

LandRover

hydnsek

See you recruits on Sunday at 9:30 am at the Farm Boy cache!

Edited by hydnsek

Looking like a small chance of snow, but I'm still game and my mom keeps asking me about it. Not sure about the step dad, but yeah, we'll see you there!

I'll make sure I bring my kayak paddles just in case :blink::laughing:

Yes, please do, they made great shovels last time we dug out the LandRover! :blink:

Luluonthego - great, hope to see you both again!

Edited by hydnsek

Had a ton of fun today and it was nice meeting everyone. My mom had a blast as well, sorry to lulu on the arm injury, hoping it's not broken, but regardless, it will heal! Nabbed my first earth cache after the party broke up. I'll post some pictures and maybe video later this evening.

Thanks again, such a fun day and I'll be back for more!

The AHOTM platoon successfully completed its mission; the Green Beret Hide has been acquired.

7aa170f7-3994-487a-a8c3-09a21fcd3708.jpg

Unfortunately, Recruit Luluonthego took a fall on the next cache we did and had to be evac'd to a nearby field hospital in Olympia. :D As we feared, she broke her wrist - distal radius fracture, the most common break for a fall where you put out an arm to catch yourself. After 4 hours in the ER, she's back home in Bellevue and recuperating. Get well soon, Linda!

What a bummer as I think she was just recovering from another injury. Bones heal though! Here is some of the video I shot. I apologize for spelling your username wrong hydnsek and really, the video is kind of lame, but I wanted to test this camera I was given and wasn't thinking of a overall narrative while I was filming or anything. So yeah, if anyone is bored: http://vimeo.com/8189373

As we feared, she broke her wrist...

Am I the only one seeing a pattern here?

On Big Hump, TotemLake breaks his leg.

At Klone Lake she almost falls to her death.

Now a broken wrist?

The one common denominator in all these incidents is hydnsek....

:antenna:

It's even worse than you think. I was there when Right Wing Wacko broke his elbow at Boulder River, and when MasterPuzzler did a somersault in the rocks above Gold Creek and injured his ankle. I'm a jinx, I'm a jinx! :antenna:

It's even worse than you think. I was there when Right Wing Wacko broke his elbow at Boulder River, and when MasterPuzzler did a somersault in the rocks above Gold Creek and injured his ankle. I'm a jinx, I'm a jinx! :antenna:

We've heard there are other victims. Some are even alleged to be in hastily dug shallow graves.

Now a broken wrist?

Yeah well, yadda yadda whatever.

As long as IronMaiden and Mrs. TL know it isn't me.

What a bummer as I think she was just recovering from another injury. Bones heal though! Here is some of the video I shot. I apologize for spelling your username wrong hydnsek and really, the video is kind of lame, but I wanted to test this camera I was given and wasn't thinking of a overall narrative while I was filming or anything. So yeah, if anyone is bored: http://vimeo.com/8189373

Nice!

It's even worse than you think. I was there when Right Wing Wacko broke his elbow at Boulder River, and when MasterPuzzler did a somersault in the rocks above Gold Creek and injured his ankle. I'm a jinx, I'm a jinx! :)

We've heard there are other victims. Some are even alleged to be in hastily dug shallow graves.

Hey, read the guidelines - we're not allowed to bury cachers!

:P

Edited by hydnsek

Nice!

Yes, good job, NWCREW! :)

Hydi looks good from the rear, speeding away. :P

Now a broken wrist?

:)

It's even worse than you think. I was there when Right Wing Wacko broke his elbow at Boulder River, and when MasterPuzzler did a somersault in the rocks above Gold Creek and injured his ankle. I'm a jinx, I'm a jinx! :D

Remind me to never go hiking with you! :P

If you're looking for some self-directed alternative hikes in the Puget Sound area with a dash of history thrown in...there's a three-page feature on Cougar Mountain in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Washington Trails Magazine. Guess who the author and photographer is. :)

On the WTA site, you can view a PDF version of the article, and I also provided info for an online section on longer hikes at Cougar.

The article doesn't mention geocaching, but there are caches along all of the mentioned hikes (both print and online articles), and some of the prose will be familiar to anyone who's done my history caches there. :huh:

If you're looking for some self-directed alternative hikes in the Puget Sound area with a dash of history thrown in...there's a three-page feature on Cougar Mountain in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Washington Trails Magazine. Guess who the author and photographer is. :D

On the WTA site, you can view a PDF version of the article, and I also provided info for an online section on longer hikes at Cougar.

The article doesn't mention geocaching, but there are caches along all of the mentioned hikes (both print and online articles), and some of the prose will be familiar to anyone who's done my history caches there. :D

The King County Parks Blog gave your article a shout out today!

If you're looking for some self-directed alternative hikes in the Puget Sound area with a dash of history thrown in...there's a three-page feature on Cougar Mountain in the Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Washington Trails Magazine. Guess who the author and photographer is. :D

The article doesn't mention geocaching, but there are caches along all of the mentioned hikes (both print and online articles), and some of the prose will be familiar to anyone who's done my history caches there. :D

Kewl, thanks for letting me know. Nice shout-out for WTA. I cringe when I read the blog, though, due to all the grammatical errors (and I don't just mean my name).

Kewl, thanks for letting me know. Nice shout-out for WTA. I cringe when I read the blog, though, due to all the grammatical errors (and I don't just mean my name).

I did notice that one, not suprisingly.

I guess it's time for all of us HOTM sponsors to get our acts together...

Several folks have suggested a Cougar Mountain AHOTM, and I need to maintain some caches, so Cougar it is. There are 50+ caches on Cougar, so plenty to choose from. I either own or have found them all, so this is a gift to you - plus you get to pick the date!

I hope you'll return the favor by attending the Cougar CITO on March 6. If you want to do a AHOTM afterward, that could be our plan. We would have about 4 hours, plenty of time, and our route could depend on your energy levels.

If you'd like the AHOTM on a different day, with a potentially longer hike, then do you prefer Sat, Feb. 13 (next weekend), or Sun, Feb 21? Hike would start at 10:00 am from Sky Country trailhead (N 47° 31.984 W 122° 06.814). Bring food and water, and appropriate attire depending on weather.

For a longer hike, I'm looking at a 6-8 mile route that could net you up to 20 caches, depending on whether you've been there before and our exact routing. (And what you do before/after). Or it could be significantly less.

My optimal round-trip route from Sky Country for the long hike would be Old Man's Trail - ByPass - Fred's Railroad - Shy Bear - Long View - Deceiver - Shy Bear - Far Country - Indian - Red Town - Cave Hole - Nike Horse. What? Here's a PDF version of the Cougar Map. (If you use a Garmin GPSr, Northwest Trails could also prove helpful.) For a complete list of Cougar Mountain caches, see the Caching Cougar Mountain bookmark list.

So, your call - AHOTM on CITO day, or on one of the alternate dates? I'll go with the majority of folks who are confirmed participants.

Edited by hydnsek

If you'd like the AHOTM on a different day, with a potentially longer hike, then do you prefer Sat, Feb. 13 (next weekend), or Sun, Feb 21?

The 6th of March is out for us, otherwise we would be up for a CITO/AHOTM. Both the 13th and 21st of February are good, although we prefer the day with the best weather.

21st would be great for me. I'll be leaving on the 6th for sunny mexico, so that's out. There is a chance I could make the 13th, but the boss man will have to hook it up for that to happen. If it's Saturday, I'll need to know by Tuesday for an attempt in the office with the boss man, lol.

Sounds like a fun adventure and I'm down to grab as many and see as much of the place as possible.

Several folks have suggested a Cougar Mountain AHOTM, and I need to maintain some caches, so Cougar it is. There are 50+ caches on Cougar, so plenty to choose from. I either own or have found them all, so this is a gift to you - plus you get to pick the date!

I hope you'll return the favor by attending the Cougar CITO on March 6. If you want to do a AHOTM afterward, that could be our plan. We would have about 4 hours, plenty of time, and our route could depend on your energy levels.

If you'd like the AHOTM on a different day, with a potentially longer hike, then do you prefer Sat, Feb. 13 (next weekend), or Sun, Feb 21? Hike will start at 10:00 am from Sky Country trailhead (N 47° 31.984 W 122° 06.814). Bring food and water, and appropriate attire depending on weather.

For a longer hike, I'm looking at a 6-8 mile route that could net you up to 20 caches, depending on whether you've been there before and our exact routing. (And what you do before/after). Or it could be significantly less.

My optimal round-trip route from Sky Country for the long hike would be Old Man's Trail - ByPass - Fred's Railroad - Shy Bear - Long View - Deceiver - Shy Bear - Far Country - Indian - Red Town - Cave Hole - Nike Horse. What? Here's a PDF version of the Cougar Map. (If you use a Garmin GPSr, Northwest Trails could also prove helpful.) For a complete list of Cougar Mountain caches, see the Caching Cougar Mountain bookmark list.

So, your call - AHOTM on CITO day, or on one of the alternate dates? I'll go with the majority of folks who are confirmed participants.

Ok, two votes from the "regulars" is good enough for me - AHOTM will be Sunday, Feb. 21 at Cougar Mtn - see above for meeting place and time. Please post here if you plan to join us. Everyone is welcome! And there are "opt out" points if you want to make it a shorter hike.

So far, I have:

B+L

NWCREW

luluonthego

Bummer, nobody is coming to my Cougar CITO.

Edited by hydnsek

If you'd like the AHOTM on a different day, with a potentially longer hike, then do you prefer Sat, Feb. 13 (next weekend), or Sun, Feb 21? Hike will start at 10:00 am from Sky Country trailhead (N 47° 31.984 W 122° 06.814). Bring food and water, and appropriate attire depending on weather.

Ok, two votes from the "regulars" is good enough for me - AHOTM will be Sunday, Feb. 21 at Cougar Mtn - see above for meeting place and time. Please post here if you plan to join us. Everyone is welcome! And there are "opt out" points if you want to make it a shorter hike.

So far, I have:

B+L

NWCREW

luluonthego

Bummer, nobody is coming to my Cougar CITO.

I'm thinking about it, depending on how long it ends up being, and what caches are on the list.

Hi, my name is dug and I've gotten sorta hooked on caching and have recently gotten sucked into hiking at cougar with my girl Mel and our pack of dogs. We'd like to join up too if the 3 dogs are ok to bring with. I usually come with my own first aid kit and am proficient in the art of tick removal :D

PS. I may also have priveleged information regarding certain 'cache maintenence issues' that may prove useful

Edited by dugfresh

Hi, my name is dug and I've gotten sorta hooked on caching and have recently gotten sucked into hiking at cougar with my girl Mel and our pack of dogs. We'd like to join up too if the 3 dogs are ok to bring with. I usually come with my own first aid kit and am proficient in the art of tick removal :D

PS. I may also have priveleged information regarding certain 'cache maintenence issues' that may prove useful

Yes, you were one of the inspirations for this hike, and we will be visiting Doughty Falls. :D Look forward to meeting you, and dogs are always welcome. As a Cougar volunteer, though, I must remind you that dogs have to be leashed per park rules. Just sayin'....

Okay, the current Will Attend list looks like:

B+L (2)

NWCREW

luluonthego

Alnilam

AndrewRJ

dugfresh (2) +3 dogs

hydnsek

Edited by hydnsek

Okay, the AHOTM is this Sunday, Feb. 21, at Cougar Mtn, starting 10:00 am from Sky Country TH. Weather looks outstanding! Hike details.

Participants:

B+L (2)

NWCREW (2)

luluonthego (3)

Alnilam (strep throat)

AndrewRJ

dugfresh (2) +3 dogs

Belleterre (2)

hydnsek

LandRover (maybe)

See you there!

Edit: updated attendees.

Edited by hydnsek

We actually have leashes for all three of them. And we even have poop bags.. for the dogs <_<

We may bring a third if there is room. He helped me find the mining site multi a while back and was really excited to go caching again. But he's notoriously non commital. We'll ask him tonite at dinner.

Wow, what a great day, hike, and group! :lol: We had 16 people at the start of our Cougar Mtn hike, and dugfresh and one dog showed up midway through to make it 17.5. (Plus we saw Sven and Daisy near their cache, and lythansen left a note on my car - busy day for caching at Cougar!) We learned a little history, and stopped for 21 caches (AndrewRJ made two side trips for two more). We started at 10 am and got back about 4:30 pm; distance was 8-9 miles. It was great having new folks along, including Mom and Dad. :)

61bfccac-2559-4e42-abba-0b27855b7c4a.jpg

Plus, big congrats on all the milestones: Belleterre (1000), B+L (500), and Antje and Brian (250). Woo hoo! :huh:

Oh - and thanks to B+L for volunteering to manage the WSGA booth at GeoWoodstock, and to NWCREW for joining WSGA. :lol:

Edited by hydnsek

Another successful AHOTM with some in our group celebrating 250, 500, and 1000 finds. WTG! Glad to see Dug made it afterall (with just one of the dogs); it was great we were able to meet up with you on the trail. The little cacher was still rearing to go after a 9 mile hike - what an awesome accomplishment for a five year old! Thanks for the laughs (knock knock jokes included) and the great company today - and thanks for looking out for me: I went there and back without injury! :)

edit: updated distance hiked

Edited by luluonthego

I had a great time today! Thanks to everyone who came out and made it that much more enjoyable. Now hurry up and log those caches so I know which ones we all did today since I'm confused on a couple, lol. Here are a couple of pictures, but I'll keep that brief since their from a phone and yeah. Can't wait until next month, hope I can find time for a few more miles :)

what a view....

photo2-11.jpg

first of 21.....

photo-122.jpg

lunch time, watch out for the unleashed dogs...

photo-123.jpg

keep on truckin'

photo4-2.jpg

PS Just paid to become a WSGA member, though not sure I can help with any booths, lol

Edited by NWCREW