Alternative Hike of the Month (AHOTM)

hydnsek

There's a tropical storm on the way that may melt most of the 12-16" of accumulation we'll gain today and tomorrow. Icy conditions may prevail though. Yak traks maybe?

I'll have my Micro Spikes, the ones I left in the back of the Land Rover while I slipped and slid on the walkway and rocks at Washington Pass last weekend. As I was sliding down the icy rocks I thought of the Big Hump affair. :signalviolin:

There's a tropical storm on the way that may melt most of the 12-16" of accumulation we'll gain today and tomorrow. Icy conditions may prevail though. Yak traks maybe?

I'll have my Micro Spikes, the ones I left in the back of the Land Rover while I slipped and slid on the walkway and rocks at Washington Pass last weekend. As I was sliding down the icy rocks I thought of the Big Hump affair. :signalviolin:

I'm interested to hear how those work out.

I'm interested to hear how those work out.

Microspikes are great! They're tougher than Yak-Traks.

The event will go on - rain, snow, or shine - this time. :blink:

Maybe all three!

FRIDAY NIGHT rain.gif

BREEZY. RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 8500 FEET. SOUTHWEST WIND IN THE PASSES 15 TO 25 MPH.

SATURDAY shwday.gif

BREEZY. SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 5500 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 40S. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 15 TO 25 MPH.

The event will go on - rain, snow, or shine - this time. :D

Maybe all three!

FRIDAY NIGHT rain.gif

BREEZY. RAIN. SNOW LEVEL 8500 FEET. SOUTHWEST WIND IN THE PASSES 15 TO 25 MPH.

SATURDAY shwday.gif

BREEZY. SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 5500 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 40S. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 15 TO 25 MPH.

Our high point is 3100 ft at Wellington, so hopefully we'll avoid the freezing stuff. And we're below the pass, so perhaps we'll avoid the wind, as well. One can hope. :rolleyes:

Cliff Mass sez in his blog: "Later on Friday and early Saturday, the plume of moisture will sag down over Washington ahead of the cold front. Amounts will be substantial over the N. Cascades, perhaps producing minor flooding for rivers there, but not a really serious situation because the front will move through quickly (24-h rain ending 5 AM Saturday). By Saturday afternoon it will be through, with postfrontal showers."

Edited by hydnsek

The Iron Goat event on Halloween was a lotta fun! B) We had 12 humans and 2 dogs, including a guest from Singapore (who had to leave early to catch his flight back). The hike was great, with lots of railroad history and artifacts - and an amazing amount of water pouring off the mountainside after recent heavy rains. Yowzer!

I finally got all my logs and photos posted. If you don't want to search out cache logs, you can see the photos here and read my WTA trip report here.

Group at Windy Point:

07343e84-2549-41e1-8c18-381d827368c4.jpg

So, what's next? How about a *South Sound* expedition to Capitol Forest for the hard-to-find Green Beret Cache Hide? It's required for the History Challenge, and racks up a lot of DNFs. In July 2007, previous finders lucyandrickie and I helped a few folks locate this one. From the DNFs this year, sounds like it might be time for another guided tour.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Edited by hydnsek
So, what's next? How about a *South Sound* expedition to Capitol Forest for the hard-to-find Green Beret Cache Hide? It's required for the History Challenge, and racks up a lot of DNFs. In July 2007, previous finders lucyandrickie and I helped a few folks locate this one. From the DNFs this year, sounds like it might be time for another guided tour.

I have been meaning to look for this one but seem to forget.

I would like to find this one but will be thinking of the HOTM this month and will be on trail maintenance first weekend of Dec.

I would like to find this one but will be thinking of the HOTM this month and will be on trail maintenance first weekend of Dec.

Driving in or hiking in? :) If the gates open, you can get within a quarter mile of the cache, or do the three mile hike...

Driving in or hiking in? :) If the gates open, you can get within a quarter mile of the cache, or do the three mile hike...

Actually after talking to a few people I have heard that you can drive much closer then that... After some careful interrogation I found out that there is a route in from the south. Not the route in from the north like the Jester and I found.

Either way I am in if it worked into the schedule.

Edited by AndrewRJ

My plan would be driving, for selfish reasons. I've found this cache and would like to maximize the short day to find fresh caches in the area. :) I just need to get decent directions for the back roads. Last time, I followed someone else, and yes, we parked very close to WP1 and the cache. (Feel free to email or post them, anyone who has them.) Plan B is hiking the six miles round-trip, if the gates are closed. Or waiting till next spring when the gates are open.

The date is likely to be in early December, as the rest of November is a blur for me.

And NWCREW, ya better be on board, you've been campaigning for a South Sound outing. :)

Edited by hydnsek

Using NW Trails, it looks like the road takes off from about N 46 54.077 W 123 07.612 (D-4000 to D-4600). Another possible entry is N 46 54.770 W 123 03.388 (Waddell Loop to E-9600 to D4600).

Question: Would driving that close really make it a Alternate HIKE of the Month? :D

Thanks. I know lucyandrickie also have directions from our last outing; hopefully they'll pony them when the time comes.

Ahh...I don't think "hike" has a precisely defined length. :) Maybe I should title this Alternate Outing of the Month (AOOTM), but I liked the symmetry with TotemLake's HOTM better. Some months, it's a long hike (Oyster Dome, Iron Goat), others a short one (Giants in the Earth). Green Beret could go either way, depending on whether the gates are open.

Edited by hydnsek

Oki doki, we seem to have traction for a South Sound expedition to Capitol Forest for the Green Beret Cache Hide, which is required for the History Challenge and notoriously hard to find. I've already found this one (twice), so this is my holiday gift to my geo-pals. :D

After checking calendars (mine and geocaching), I'm looking at Sunday, Dec. 13, for this adventure.

I'll post a meet-up location later. Probably plan to meet about 9:30 am; this will accommodate driving or hiking. (I like that B+L have to catch a ferry from Vashon; it lets me set later meeting times. :) )

Who's in? Alternate dates/times/ideas?

Edited by hydnsek

I'm a maybe.

I'm trying to schedule my knee repair for Dec. 3rd so depending on if I can get it done then, how fast it heals, the doctor said some people are up and about in just a few days while others take a couple of months, and how close we can park, or I could always get a wheel chair and have you push......

I'm a maybe.

I'm trying to schedule my knee repair for Dec. 3rd so depending on if I can get it done then, how fast it heals, the doctor said some people are up and about in just a few days while others take a couple of months, and how close we can park, or I could always get a wheel chair and have you push......

What are you having done? I had arthroscopic surgery in June 2008 and was back to basically normal in a week. I had the same knee replaced almost seven weeks ago and am nowhere near normal. I can get around on reasonable terrain, but would not want to try trails yet.

I'm a maybe.

What are you having done? I had arthroscopic surgery in June 2008 and was back to basically normal in a week. I had the same knee replaced almost seven weeks ago and am nowhere near normal. I can get around on reasonable terrain, but would not want to try trails yet.

Having a torn meniscus in my right knee repaired.

I'm a maybe.

Having a torn meniscus in my right knee repaired.

That was part of what was done to me in June 2008. Give yourself a couple of weeks to be sure, but you won't be out of action very long. Do the exercises before and after the surgery, it really helps.

I could probably make this one. As long as the snows dont fly. :)

It'd have to fly pretty low, the cache is at about 400 feet.

My house is at 400 ft, and I had 18 inches of snow last December. :laughing: But, yah, that's the exception.

340 feet here and about the same last year. Even Seattle at sea level was pretty bad.

My house is at 400 ft, and I had 18 inches of snow last December. :) But, yah, that's the exception.

340 feet here and about the same last year. Even Seattle at sea level was pretty bad.

You guys had snow last year???? :laughing:

My house is at 400 ft, and I had 18 inches of snow last December. :) But, yah, that's the exception.

You guys had snow last year???? :laughing:

n1306059561_30238084_4233.jpg

Ho ho ho! :)

I could probably make this one. As long as the snows dont fly. :laughing:

My house is at 400 ft, and I had 18 inches of snow last December. :laughing: But, yah, that's the exception.

You guys had snow last year???? :signalviolin:

Nah. I just kept the car in the carport for ten days because I felt like it.

Driving in or hiking in? :signalviolin: If the gates open, you can get within a quarter mile of the cache, or do the three mile hike...

Actually after talking to a few people I have heard that you can drive much closer then that... After some careful interrogation I found out that there is a route in from the south. Not the route in from the north like the Jester and I found.

Either way I am in if it worked into the schedule.

Nevermind. Forgot about a birthday party that I can't miss. I will get it eventually.

I could probably make this one. As long as the snows dont fly. :D

My house is at 400 ft, and I had 18 inches of snow last December. :ph34r: But, yah, that's the exception.

You guys had snow last year???? :angry:

Nah. I just kept the car in the carport for ten days because I felt like it.

:signalviolin::laughing::laughing:

Oki doki, we seem to have traction for a South Sound expedition to Capitol Forest for the Green Beret Cache Hide, which is required for the History Challenge and notoriously hard to find. I've already found this one (twice), so this is my holiday gift to my geo-pals. :)

So, the plan for the December AHOTM is still to visit this cache on Sunday, Dec. 13. We'll meet at 9:30 am at the Farm Boy cache, which is in a parking area just off I-5 at exit 95, south of Olympia. From there, we'll take the back roads, and if the gate is open, drive to within a few hundred feet of the cache. (Email me if you want directions for the back roads to the cache site.) If the gate is closed, prepare for a six-mile hike (round trip) or to do something else.

After we accomplish our target mission, the troops will be dismissed. :) I plan to grab a few caches in Capitol Forest that I don't have.

So, who will be part of the platoon attacking the Green Beret site? Sing out!

My roster so far:

AHOTM Platoon:

Johnny Boy

NWCREW

Sol Seaker

Alnilam

Possible Recruits:

LandRover

ironman114

B+L

Edited by hydnsek

Oki doki, we seem to have traction for a South Sound expedition to Capitol Forest for the Green Beret Cache Hide, which is required for the History Challenge and notoriously hard to find. I've already found this one (twice), so this is my holiday gift to my geo-pals. :)

So, the plan for the December AHOTM is still to visit this cache on Sunday, Dec. 13. We'll meet at 9:30 am at the Farm Boy cache, which is in a parking area just off I-5 at exit 95, south of Olympia. From there, we'll take the back roads, and if the gate is open, drive to within a few hundred feet of the cache. (Email me if you want directions for the back roads to the cache site.) If the gate is closed, prepare for a six-mile hike (round trip) or to do something else.

After we accomplish our target mission, the troops will be dismissed. :) I plan to grab a few caches in Capitol Forest that I don't have.

So, who will be part of the platoon attacking the Green Beret site? Sing out!

My roster so far:

AHOTM Platoon:

Johnny Boy

NWCREW

Sol Seaker

Alnilam

Possible Recruits:

LandRover

ironman114

B+L

I'm still a maybe, won't know for sure until late next week.

I will most likely have my mother and possibly step father(just had heart stents put in, so he needs to get out and get that heart pumping, if he's ready). Neither of them are cachers really, though my mom has gone out with me a few times and loves it, so they got excited when I told them about this and wanted to join. Hope that isn't a problem

The knees feeling great so I'm in.

I have room in the Land Rover if anyone wants to carpool.

Great news, Jeff! Glad the recuperation is going so well. :)

Okay, here's the updated Green Beret platoon:

Johnny Boy

NWCREW (+2)

Sol Seaker

Alnilam

B+L

LandRover

Possible Recruits:

ironman114

Anyone else?