Alternative Hike of the Month (AHOTM)

hydnsek

Hike of the Month (HOTM) started a few years back with TotemLake's excellent series. More recently, Criminal got into the act with his Off-Week, Off-Trail HOTM. I've been on hikes in both series, but I can't always go, and there are other hikes I'd like to do with my geo-buddies, as well.

So, I'm adding my own entry: Alternative Hike of the Month (AHOTM). I suppose AHOTM could also be Abby's HOTM, but it's definitely not A**H*** of the Month (unless you want the title). :(

Our first outing was Saturday, Aug. 29, to Giants in the Earth. About 20 of us visited PSE's Wild Horse Wind Farm near Vantage and got a special presentation and tour - plus, of course, EraSeek's cache. Very cool! :D

This thread will publicize future outings so that anyone can participate - the more, the merrier!

The next AHOTM is Saturday, Sept. 12 - we'll be hiking Oyster Dome. This view cache off Chuckanut Drive (between Burlington and Bellingham) has been on my To Do list for some time; it's a healthy climb up to a fantastic view of Samish Bay and the San Juan islands. Depending on how much of a hike you want, there are three caches or six caches along the way. Round trip to Oyster Dome is listed at 6.5 miles and 1,865 of elevation gain.

I'll post a start time and meeting spot coords in a few days. Here's a map of Oyster Dome area. My current thought is to park at Samish Overlook, which is the highest access and minimizes the climb over coming all the way from Chuckanut Drive. You can read more about the hike and get driving directions on the WTA page. Since a big attraction of Oyster Dome is its fantastic views, and the rock areas can be slippery and risky when wet, I will cancel this hike if it's rainy.

As with other HOTM, please post here if you plan to come. See you on the trail!

Edited by hydnsek

The next AHOTM is Saturday, Sept. 12 26 - we'll be hiking Oyster Dome. This view cache off Chuckanut Drive (between Burlington and Bellingham) has been on my To Do list for some time; it's a healthy climb up to a fantastic view of Samish Bay and the San Juan islands. Depending on how much of a hike you want, there are three caches or six caches along the way. Round trip to Oyster Dome is listed at 6.5 miles and 1,865 of elevation gain.

I'll post a start time and meeting spot coords in a few days. Here's a map of Oyster Dome area. My current thought is to park at Samish Overlook, which is the highest access and minimizes the climb over coming all the way from Chuckanut Drive. You can read more about the hike and get driving directions on the WTA page. Since a big attraction of Oyster Dome is its fantastic views, and the rock areas can be slippery and risky when wet, I will cancel this hike if it's rainy.

As with other HOTM, please post here if you plan to come. See you on the trail!

After conferring with a couple folks, and seeing as nobody seemed interested in Sept. 12, I'm rescheduling this hike to Saturday, Sept. 26. Seattlegeekgrrrlz is coming, maybe cache ahead - who else wants to join us?

Well, crap. The weekends are crowded. I forgot Sept 26 is Patudles' Lake Valhalla hike, and I want to do that. If you're interested in the Oyster Dome hike - date suggestions?

Edited by hydnsek

Okay, after some discussion, the hike to Oyster Dome is on for this Saturday, Sept. 12. (See the first post for details.) The weather forecast is spectacular - clear, sunny, warm. Come enjoy one of the last summer weekends with us! :)

Kiersolvd and I are meeting at 9:00 am in Bellevue at the PnR at SE 8th off I-405. This should put us in the target area by 11:00 am latest.

Alnilam is joining us, and probably Cache Ahead. They are both closer to the Arlington area, so we'll collect them on the way north.

The more the merrier, so let us know if you'd like to come along!

Edited by hydnsek

Four of us - Alnilam, Kiersolvd, Cache Ahead, and I - had a great time hiking Oyster Dome yesterday. Couldn't have asked for better company, weather, or views. Awesome! :laughing:

Start of the hike: Samish Overlook

0914a1db-13ea-492d-b5c0-d459402f8c98.jpg

Alnilam at Oyster Dome

dde3be34-07b6-4aa2-ba35-45dd1d923d45.jpg

View from another cache

f2ae6e5e-8619-432b-b4d4-7fdc3886a7f0.jpg

Light play on water

7edf6ceb-c9b5-409b-93ed-06f2f7d87467.jpg

Final view of the day, back at Samish Overlook

eab7389e-0206-4aec-81a9-254a96032d5d.jpg

Several folks asked me today on the Valhalla hike (thanks, Patudles!) when/where the next AHOTM would be. So I guess I'm not just talking to myself here. :) Now I have to schedule one....

Saturday, Oct. 17 - Iron Goat Trail

This historic rails-to-trail route is off Hwy 2 east of Skykomish (west of Stevens Pass). The hiking-only trail highlights some fascinating aspects of railroad history, including engineering feats, long tunnels, switchbacks, snowsheds, and the worst avalanche disaster in U.S. history.

I need to check the exact distance, but it's 6-8 miles along a gentle railroad grade. My plan is to make this a through-hike in the downhill direction, starting at the Wellington TH (3100 ft - Wellington cache) and ending at the Martin Creek trailhead (2450 ft - Ghost Bridge cache). By my count, there are 11 caches along the hiking route, plus at least two more you can access by car (one of these - Iron Goat Caboose - is midway through the hike, down a side trail at the main interpretive site, which is the opt-out location for anyone who only wants to do half of the hike). I'll make a bookmark list soon.

You can find more information on the trail, including a map and directions, at the Iron Goat website.

Obviously, I need at least one other interested party to make this a through-hike, so who's in? :rolleyes: I'll nail down rendezvous details once I have a sense of how many to expect.

Edited by hydnsek

Obviously, I need at least one other interested party to make this a through-hike, so who's in? :) I'll nail down rendezvous details once I have a sense of how many to expect.

What a coincidence. As we were heading down the pass yesterday, I mentioned that it would be fun to explore the Iron Goat trail someday. We usually bring the truck when we go up the passes (its windshield is already battle scarred). That means we would have room for the two of us plus 3 in the backseat.

Wow. GMTA. I was looking at that one. Have fun!

We could do a combined trek. :) You've been doing harder hikes lately; didn't think this would be on your radar. But like B+L, I thought of it as I came down off the pass yesterday and realized I hadn't explored the entire trail and there were several caches to be gotten.

Wow. GMTA. I was looking at that one. Have fun!

We could do a combined trek. :) You've been doing harder hikes lately; didn't think this would be on your radar. But like B+L, I thought of it as I came down off the pass yesterday and realized I hadn't explored the entire trail and there were several caches to be gotten.

I've been interested in the history of the rail line for many years. This one disaster at Tye (Wellington) had caught my interest again and I was studying the area while settng up for the recent hike. We could make it a combined effort. I'll have to see what my schedule looks like.

Woo hoo! The Iron Goat hike on Oct. 17 is now the follow-on to a breakfast meet-n-eat: Getting Your Goat. :lol: This is WSGA-PS's October event as well as my AHOTM, and everyone is welcome, whether or not you plan to do the hike.

The cache page includes updated info on the meet-up and hike - e.g., meeting time has been moved to 9:00 am at the Interpretive Site - so be sure to check it out. Please post a Will Attend if you are coming to the breakfast and/or hike, and let me know how many to expect.

Also, I've created a bookmark list for the hike: Iron Goat Trail.

Edited by hydnsek

sorry for the brief interruption, are there any hikes like this in the south end? It's not THAT far of a drive, but with work on saturdays until 9am, I'm just not gonna be able to make it. But yeah, just wondering if anyone or the south sound WSGA chapter does any of these down here?

There is only one WSGA chapter in the Puget Sound. There really aren't trails like the Iron Goat Trail in South King County, though there are plenty of trails like the Soos Creek and Cedar River trails.

Edited by Dwoodford

sorry for the brief interruption, are there any hikes like this in the south end? It's not THAT far of a drive, but with work on saturdays until 9am, I'm just not gonna be able to make it. But yeah, just wondering if anyone or the south sound WSGA chapter does any of these down here?

There is only one WSGA chapter in the Puget Sound. There really aren't trails like the Iron Goat Trail in South King County, though there are plenty of trails like the Soos Creek and Cedar River trails.

What Dwoodford said. This is a huge area, and no matter where we hold an event, it will be far from some while close to others. No worries, we have events in the South Sound too, but we want to visit the mountains as much as possible before winter sets in.

Of course, you can always initiate an outing yourself - show us some cool places you know about! :lol:

What Dwoodford said. This is a huge area, and no matter where we hold an event, it will be far from some while close to others. No worries, we have events in the South Sound too, but we want to visit the mountains as much as possible before winter sets in.

Of course, you can always initiate an outing yourself - show us some cool places you know about! :lol:

Oh I will be :) Just trying to meet some like minded folk and the last few have been out of reach, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a regular type of thing. And when I say south sound, snoqualmie is within reach, as well as mt. rainier. I'm gonna try to make the granite peak cache before too long, but I know time is running out VERY fast on that one. Good luck all!

Oh I will be :) Just trying to meet some like minded folk and the last few have been out of reach, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a regular type of thing. And when I say south sound, snoqualmie is within reach, as well as mt. rainier. I'm gonna try to make the granite peak cache before too long, but I know time is running out VERY fast on that one. Good luck all!

Oh, well, we do hikes in the Snoqualmie and Issaquah Alps areas all the time (at least I do, since I live near them). You just happened to notice the recent stretch where folks are doing more northern hikes at Lake Valhalla, Oyster Dome, and Iron Goat fairly close together. These things seem to go in waves. Sometimes going on one hike reminds you of others in the area - e.g., I came up with the Iron Goat hike coming back from Lake Valhalla, when we passed the trail and I realized I hadn't been on it in a few years; then some other folks mentioned they wanted to do it, so....

I personally still need to do some areas of Tiger Mtn and all of Mt Washington, just as two examples, so I'm sure there will be hikes there in the near future. :lol:

Oh - and for those who are Washington Trails (WTA) readers, my online Lake Valhalla Trip Report is also going to be in the Nov/Dec magazine. I submitted a photo that features Cstmframr and his dog Shay; hope it's published!

Edited by hydnsek

Oh, well, we do hikes in the Snoqualmie and Issaquah Alps areas all the time (at least I do, since I live near them). You just happened to notice the recent stretch where folks are doing more northern hikes at Lake Valhalla, Oyster Dome, and Iron Goat fairly close together. These things seem to go in waves. Sometimes going on one hike reminds you of others in the area - e.g., I came up with the Iron Goat hike coming back from Lake Valhalla, when we passed the trail and I realized I hadn't been on it in a few years; then some other folks mentioned they wanted to do it, so....

I personally still need to do some areas of Tiger Mtn and all of Mt Washington, just as two examples, so I'm sure there will be hikes there in the near future. :lol:

Oh - and for those who are Washington Trails (WTA) readers, my online Lake Valhalla Trip Report is also going to be in the Nov/Dec magazine. I submitted a photo that features Cstmframr and his dog Shay; hope it's published!

WTG Hydnsek! Hope you become published!

*sigh* The weather report for Saturday's Iron Goat hike is deteriorating rapidly. Cold, wind, rain.... thoughts from those who plan to attend on whether we should stay the course or postpone? If postpone - Sunday (which looks a tad better) or another weekend coming up (ideas)?

Edited by hydnsek

Oki doki, then, hike still on, weather be darned. I just didn't want to show up and stand in the rain alone. :D

Since this is the opening weekend of hunting season, switching to Sunday means we'd have to slog through the heavy traffic on the way home. I am going to have a hard time convincing L how much fun this will be, so we'll wait until late Friday to decide if we want to experience the joys of hypothermia again.

Well, Cliff Mass has canceled his hike for tomorrow (Saturday). :D His weather blog says heavy precipitation through Saturday afternoon, with up to 5 inches on the west side of the Cascades, and a convergence zone north of Seattle. A bit of wind in the morning and highs in upper 40s.

It seems like the weather gods are conspiring against us for this hike. I looked at the caching calendar, and Sat, Oct 31 is open. Of course, that's Halloween, but I have no daytime hauntings planned.

Thoughts?

It seems like the weather gods are conspiring against us for this hike. I looked at the caching calendar, and Sat, Oct 31 is open. Of course, that's Halloween, but I have no daytime hauntings planned.

Thoughts?

I know at least half of our team would be happy to postpone until the 31st. The other half is too dumb to know any better.

Since I couldn't make the new date, I decided to go do the hike yesterday solo and had a great trip!

I put a track and trip report up here.

After the hike, I also did a second short hike to get to my 500th find!

Hope you all have fun on Halloween, hopefully I can make the next one!

-Krauss-McClurg

Great trip report - thanks! And congrats on #500! (although that link didn't work for me)

Edited by hydnsek