Best Cache Ever? Ideas Please!

Oceanwalker

Not to be coy, but we think our best must've been our first. Great ones after that and hope there are many more.......... but you can only get the first one once, ya know! :P

I adopted the first one I ever found so I would humbly deny that it was the best ever. My "Best Ever" is one near Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. Second best goes to one called Gilligans Island of New York. It's a fun puzzle, the cache is located on a pretty little island on our local lake, and I got FTF.

Best cache ever?

Well, depends on whether you would consider the cleverness of the spot and then tough hide or just cleverness of the container.

For overall "best cache ever," I'd have to say this one: Twelve Labors of Hercules: Labor Nine

Now, click on that puppy and read the cache, read the logs. That's one heck of a cache, both in placement and in the hide - although the container was a "plain" ammo can.

As for clever container, I'd say this one. However, since finding it, I've found three additional that were an identical container (a hollowed out bolt which held the log).

i think that one of my favorites to find was a cache attached to a piece of fishing line and put down a parking lot pole, and hooked on the side, you literally had to fish it out. This was at an entrance to a bike path. Super cool catch.

I have never traded for anything excpet bugs, but am considering adding items to my back pack as well and after reading another post thinking that it is okay to remove the trash from a cache.

Buy foreign coins by the pound. I get them for about $7 a pound and it averages about 100 coins per pound. Some are worthless but some may be worth a few bucks. Neat swag for kids. (I think.) Of course, adults like them too.

Plastic baggies with rubber bands, paperclips, and binder clips.

Buffalo nickels are more money, but cool just the same.

For cool cache ideas hit up this thread. Expect to spend a few days there.

Not to be coy, but we think our best must've been our first. Great ones after that and hope there are many more.......... but you can only get the first one once, ya know! :ph34r:

Yeah, and unfortunately my first was a magnetic key holder on a guard rail! :rolleyes:

I've come a long way since then!

My favorite ones were some that I've done with my sister. We didn't really hang out much (she's 9 years younger than me) until we started geocaching together.

I'm gonna take a little bit different tack here. To me, container doesn't really matter, as long as it will keep the contents and log dry and in good shape. As for contents, I always like finding things that I can use in my pack, like small backpacking items. Things like cyalume sticks, LED lights, emergency blankets, decent quality compass, etc.

But my favorite caches have nothing to do with either the container or the contents. They could easily be a DNF, in fact. One of the best things about ths game is the ability to take people to places that they wouldn't have otherwise visited or even known about. Take me somewhere that I would enjoy going, even if there wasn't a cache there! A beautiful view, a pretty spot hidden away in an otherwise ho-hum area, a place with some unique or interesting history (tell me about it), a place where 99.9% of people walk past without any idea that it's there. That's what makes a memorable geocache experience!

Edited by 4x4van

I don't know if I would call it the best cache ever, but it was surely one of the most unusual ones. We found one once that was a full sized bowling ball, painted camo, and hidden in some waist high bushes. Nothing but these bushes for acres around (it was in the forest).

What made it so unusual is that for being as big as it was, it was really difficult to find. The round shape and camo texture made it blend in so well with the bushes and leaves under them that you could stand only a couple of feet away from it, look right at it, and still not see it.

I think we looked for about 25-30 minutes and were within 10-15 feet of it the whole time.

It was about 250 feet from a jeep trail so the hider didn't have to lug it too far.