MAGPIE: Autistic Geocaching

atsteele

I am the father of a 9 year old with Autism. I just recently was trying to find some new fun activities for us to share as a family and got turned on to Geocaching by an old friend from college. Currently, I cannot find any groups that are geared toward kids on the Autism Spectrum. So, I decided to start my own.

We are called MAGPIE (Metro Autistic Geocachers: Producing Intrepid Explorers) and are located in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex. If you live in the area, we would love to hear from you and get together for adventure with some of the most intrepid explorers on the planet!

We are currently seeking ideas for caches in the metroplex that are "MAGPIE-friendly", so if you have any, please e-mail us at

dfwmagpie@gmx.com

Best,

Jonathan Steele

Awesome idea - We have an 11 yr old with autism and we just started geocaching. It is a fun family activity that we can all participate in at some level, AND it doesn't require being in busy places with lots of people!

We live in Atlanta - I wonder if there is something like this near us?

Polly Bouker

We have a 16 year old son with autism. Don't think there is any kind of group like that here in Ontario, Canada either. I've taken him with me out letterboxing, and he seems to like following me around out in the woods too. He'll stick with it for finding one, and then he'll want to go back to the van.

I have worked with many children with Autism, it is a great way to introduce them to the great outdoors. Many of the kids I have worked with liked to hide in the house or their own yards. Caching got them out into the outdoors, for the adventure of it. There is a great Autism conference every year in July, just outside Dallas, in Plano. I have been to it a few times. If you are really interested, it might be a great place to try and set up an informational booth with the assistance of some local groups for support and spread the word.

No action in this thread since last year. How is everyone's sons and daughters doing? My son is now 18 and this year he has been wanting to spend most of the weekend walking or doing the trails so I decided to have him get his own account here. His name is NishGuy so now we are going back and he can find the ones that I've put out and also the ones on the trails that we walk on.

bumping this thread up because I'd love to talk to other autistic cachers/ parents of autistic cachers... Now that it's getting hot my son doesn't want to go out as much but I still do (I lost 25 lbs since I started caching!)

how's it going for the rest of you?

We're doing good. We don't do as much caching anymore but we still walk the trails. Pretty hot out there yesterday so we only did one was a 2.37 kilometre trail but it was a good one. We pretty much do the caches that are on trails as I don't really like to do the park and grab caches. He turns 19 years old tomorrow and we're having a birthday bbq for him at his place.

3Nish - I only like the trails too - I look on the map before I set out for a park that has at least 3 caches... I let my son sit when he needs to but lately he just doesn't want to do it at all - or he'll say he does, get all the way there and then either not get out of the car or get out of the car and not want to go (either right at the outset or a little bit into our walk)

I know this is an old thread but I thought I should let people reading this thread know that I have tried to write down what geocaching has done for me and my son who is suffering from severe autistic spectrum disorder. If you want to check it out go to http://shadowcacher.wordpress.com and I recomend starting at the first post if you want the history from when we received his diagnose.

Edited by galdrin