US War Department benchmarks?

EscapeFromFlatland

Historically the markers were set by the "US Engineers" (Originally a joint dept. bet Army and Navy I think) and later the Army Corps of Engineers. Often you will see the agency listed as :"USE" or sometimes "DOD".

As with many agencies, only a portion of their markers were listed by the NGS (National Geodetic Survey) which was CGS (Coast and Geodetic Survey). Some folks have obtained lists from local Army C. of E. offices.

Here's one in Queens NY I found a few years ago. It's a battered disk stamped "United States Engineer Dept" and "New York", and some "Do Not Remove" stuff.

KU0983 - TIDAL 56 USE STA II 6 (1952)

0a0e3281-bc22-4eca-aa3d-093f485005e2.jpg

Click for larger image

Notice the name "TIDAL 56 USE STA II 6" incorporates the agency "USE".

And here's another which is very close to the first (this was an old Army Base - Fort Totten):

KU0983 - 3 USE (1938)

42abd1d0-95ee-4420-885c-c83cfe9a329d.jpg

Click for larger image

Notice this is stamped "Corps of Engineers U.S. Army".

So where are they? All over - particularly in harbor areas.. How to find them - just search the listings for your area for "USE" disks and talk to the local engineers office if there's one nearby.

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

The United States Department of War, also called the War Office, was the cabinet department originally responsible for the operation and maintenance of the US Army. It was also responsible for naval affairs until the establishment of the Navy Department in 1798, and for land-based air forces until the creation of the Department of the Air Force in 1947.

So the US Arm Corps of Engineers were part of the War Dept. Some old buildings at the SOO Locks have that name on them.

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/where/areaof...marie-michigan/

Edited by Z15

Maybe I wasnt clear in my original request. Is there a separate database or archive for benchmarks installed under the US War Department? Or are these blended under the database by the Army Corps of Engineers? If so, is this available online? Any links to databases or addresses where I could request more information.

Basically I'm looking for more information on the history of this 1957 Traverse Station placed near N 31° 59.12, W 81° 29.65.

3882110591_082ae468f0.jpg

The USACE would have that info. Problem is they are compartmentalized. Nothing is centrally located, you have to find the office that has control of that district and then you still might not find info because you can't find the right person to ask or the info is buried in some archive. I would ask for the engineering dept as they likely have that info but who knows especially if its old data that not used anymore.

go to USASE web site and find the district and go from there http://www.usace.army.mil/about/Pages/Locations.aspx

War Dept = Dept of Defense (DOD) now.

distatemp.gif

Edited by Z15