Golf profile = Approach G5 on Oregon

tibonhom

Hi,

I statred to play Golf and I like gadget so I looked at the Garmin Approach G5 and I think it looks very nice. I looked at the price and since I already have have an Oregon 300 I am definitly not going to buy another GPS receiver just to play Golf.

I think it would be technicaly possible for Garmin to add a Golf Approach G5 profile to the Oregon 300. I would even be ready to pay for a pluggin like this. What do you think? Maybe I should propose Garmin this alternative?

Thanks for your comments.

Tibonhom

I doubt if it will ever happen. The marketing gnomes at Garmin probably prefer to keep the seperate revenue flows from people being forced to buy two GPS devices, one for golf and one for navigation.

In the mean time you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=217761

I used KMonster's procedure to get the golf information into my Legend HCx as custom POIs and it works really well for me. I'm sure you will be able to do the same thing with your Oregon.

At least you could use your Oregon for yardages while you wait for Garmin to make the software available to add to a navigation GPS. :(

If enough folks started doing this we could probably set up an exchange for surveyed courses for anyone else to use in the local area or those who are planning to travel.

...ken...