Tri-Cities Cache Machine

travisl

Priceline will get you a room at the Richland Red Lion. (what prices have people received?)
I've tried Priceline daily for the last week, starting at $39 and going up daily (using advice I got from Betterbidding.com). Today, after failing to get the room for $57, I pulled the trigger on...

I noticed Motel 6 had $43.99 on their sign at the mall exit.
Yup. That's the price on their web site, too. Including tax it'll be just under $100 for two nights. Everywhere else I was looking at (except for the scary reviews of Bali/Knights) was at least $150. Edited by travisl

Two bits of info:

The final route is posted here. Any last minute changes will be posted to the dinner event page, will be announced at an informal pre-event dinner, and if you want to eat elsewhere, it will be posted on my car (a blue Saturn Ion) parked outside the pre-event dinner, near N 46.2742, W 119.2757.

The informal pre-event dinner will be at Las 3 Margaritas, 627 Jadwin Ave, Richland. I'll be there at 7:00 on Friday, September 18, and will leave once I get my fill of chips and enchiladas and conversation. C'mon and join me, and we'll talk about what mistakes still remain on the next day's route :D

Show up early, stay late, and if it's too crowded or too dead, feel free to eat somewhere else. Neither the restaurant nor have any idea how many to expect for this pre-event shindig, so service might be slower than typical. Olé!

Edited by travisl

Haven't every been to a cache machine before and thinking about attending. I will be by myself though, as the hubby just isn't interested. Is it possible to team up with others? I do have the needed GPS to do the Wherigo as well!

If you are still looking for a ride or a navigator let me know. This is however my first cache machine as well so I can't offer any experience in that area.-mark

OK - I stumbled into an extra hour of free time this morning, and got the first draft posted. I'm looking to add about another 5-10 caches to the route, preferably somewhere desert-like or with a long view. Any ideas? Anything else y'all see that I should do to improve the route?

The link does not work. I have been trying it for several days. Any chance it will be fixed by this evening?

Two bits of info:

The final route is posted here. Any last minute changes will be posted to the dinner event page, will be announced at an informal pre-event dinner, and if you want to eat elsewhere, it will be posted on my car (a blue Saturn Ion) parked outside the pre-event dinner, near N 46.2742, W 119.2757.

The informal pre-event dinner will be at Las 3 Margaritas, 627 Jadwin Ave, Richland. I'll be there at 7:00 on Friday, September 18, and will leave once I get my fill of chips and enchiladas and conversation. C'mon and join me, and we'll talk about what mistakes still remain on the next day's route :blink:

Show up early, stay late, and if it's too crowded or too dead, feel free to eat somewhere else. Neither the restaurant nor have any idea how many to expect for this pre-event shindig, so service might be slower than typical. Olé!

Sorry for the other reply. I found this message, and the link does indeed work. Thanks for all your hard work.

Two bits of info:

The informal pre-event dinner will be at Las 3 Margaritas, 627 Jadwin Ave, Richland. I'll be there at 7:00 on Friday, September 18, and will leave once I get my fill of chips and enchiladas and conversation. C'mon and join me, and we'll talk about what mistakes still remain on the next day's route :huh:

Sorry for the other reply. I found this message, and the link does indeed work. Thanks for all your hard work.

The first link shows travis and does not work. The second link shows travisl and does work.

Y'all have fun out there now. And be safe.

Just a heads up for travelers to the Tri-Cities.

Hwy 395 Southbound is closed between Pasco and Kennewick. You can go north, from Kennewick to Pasco but to get back you either have to head east to the Cable Bridge (downtown Pasco to Downtown Kennewick or west to I-84 (Pasco to Richland) (this is usually the best detour unless you want to go to downtown Kennewick).

The road is not well marked, I think 395 only has one warning before dumping you into Pasco with no detour signs.

The cache machine route is avoiding the closed section (way to be psychic Travis).

YeOleImposter

Quick question(s):

Previous in the tread mentioned "FRS radio channel 2":

I have a Motorola Talkabout T5200 (freqs are up in the 460 Mhz range).

Is this radio on the right service?

Also, this radio has subcodes.

Again, right type of radio?

Just tune it to Channel 2 (no subcode / subchannel) and you should be good to go. Nearly all of today's "walkie talkies" are FRS (family radio service); you can always check the specs for yours (I googled it, it's FRS, like all the Motorolas I've seen). Y'all have fun!

Quick question(s):

Just tune it to Channel 2 (no subcode / subchannel) and you should be good to go. Nearly all of today's "walkie talkies" are FRS (family radio service); you can always check the specs for yours (I googled it, it's FRS, like all the Motorolas I've seen). Y'all have fun!

Does this mean the subchannel should be set to 0 (zero)? My Motorola FRS always shows the suchannel as far as I can recall.

Quick question(s):

Does this mean the subchannel should be set to 0 (zero)? My Motorola FRS always shows the suchannel as far as I can recall.

Yah, you betcha.

FYI, at this point, 4 hours before the pre-event dinner, I've only got one very minor last-minute change: the parking info for #35 Pigeon Barn that shutle64 posted above. Even if you didn't know that, you'd probably figure it out when you saw the private property between you and the cache :-)

/yay for Qwest giving free wifi usage to their customers at McDonald's hotspots!

//I can now say I've eaten food in Zillah

///even if it is McDonalds.

////slashie slashie

At the pre-event dinner this evening, a few people said they had scouted out Chiawana Park and could not find the lunch location. You can't enter at the west end and have to enter the park at the east end on Road 88. There you will see signs for the east end (straight ahead) and the west end of the park (turn right and go a quarter mile or so west). There is a desert-like undeveloped area in between and you need to go past that to get to the west end. Pavillion 3 where we will be set up is the closest one to the water.

:laughing:

Somewhere on the Bateman Isle Trek I lost my Mind.

If anyone just happens to stumble upon it could you please return it.

It maybe hard to find, as it had become the size of an NANO by the time we hit one end of the island.

Did anyone else realize it rained as we search Black light?

Thanks for putting this together Event and of course, throwing this Bateman Island Carrot in our face.

One of the Cache Menagerie Clan... :laughing:

:blink:

Somewhere on the Bateman Isle Trek I lost my Mind.

If anyone just happens to stumble upon it could you please return it.

It maybe hard to find, as it had become the size of an NANO by the time we hit one end of the island.

Did anyone else realize it rained as we search Black light?

Thanks for putting this together Event and of course, throwing this Bateman Island Carrot in our face.

One of the Cache Menagerie Clan... :anicute:

It took you this long? :anicute::huh::anicute: