Tri-Cities Cache Machine

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts with the icon13.gif icon in this thread for all the important details and changes. The draft route will be posted in this thread later this week.)

(This is the link to the event page)

The Tri-Cities: Richland. Kennewick. Pasco. Last time we were here, we ran out of caches before we ran out of daylight. We won't make the same mistake again.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and meet a mob of fellow cachers at sunrise on Saturday, September 19, at 6:15 a.m.

13 hours later, we'll meet for dinner and swap stories about missing caches that later cachers found. Yes, it was in that tree the whole time. You didn't see it? Lulz.

Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

If you're still out on the road at dinner time (7:30 p.m.), skip the rest of the route and come on in. Socializing at dinner is one of the best parts of machine events (and that's coming from me -- someone who usually hates socializing). There will be travel bugs to discover, a buffet to gorge yourself at, and more geocachers to commiserate with than you can shake a walking stick at. The most important rule:

As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it.

For any micro cache with a tiny logbook that we find on the event, one "TCCM2" log entry should suffice for the group. We tend to fill up log books too quickly, and our stickers tend to make micro log books hard to re-stash. For normal-sized caches, or even large micros (like key holders), everyone should sign in.

Bring FRS radios if you’ve got them. We’ll use Channel 2 to communicate among caching vehicles and to say 'Howdy' to listening locals. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page, which will be up soon.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint.

-----

The Tri-Cities Cache Machine II FAQ:

When is it?

6:15 a.m., Saturday, September 19, 2009. Latecomers can track us down en route.

Where are people staying?

See the thread below.

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

We start the day as one giant group, which means we'll hopefully find each cache quickly. Then it's on to the next one. The group tends to fragment after the first few caches, though. The longer we can keep the big group together, the more fun it is!

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

- Friday, September 18, there may be an informal pre-event dinner. Watch this thread.

- Saturday, September 19, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Old Country Buffet, N 46° 13.404 W 119° 13.566 (Columbia Center Mall, 1321 N Columbia Ctr Blvd, Kennewick). I've created an event page for this dinner event.

- Sunday, you're on your own. Go get the ones you missed.

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet. Monitor FRS channel 2.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I'm skipping a lot. I'll be avoiding longer multicaches, puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid. There's too many caches to get them all, so I've had to prune a lot of them off the route.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

The route goes past dinner time, into Sunday. Is this a two-day event?

Nope. The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect to hit all of them, and designed the route so that the last section of the caches are near the evening dinner spot. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I'll work with the cache owner to minimize our impact, or skip the cache altogether.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :blink: Or find something on the way.

Edited by travisl

Our local group GCSEWA (pronounced GeeksWA), Geocachers of South Eastern Washington, is looking forward to the event. Had close to 30 folks at our monthly social this last month.

There are enough caches in the Tri-Cities for 2+ days of caching, so everyone plan to grab a bunch the day before or after the Cache Machine too!

Travis, we will plan to host a bbq lunch of some kind around noon at a park along the route. Details to follow!

Travis, 2 of my caches that are listed as Multi caches could be put on the potential route. They are really just offset caches where the second/final stage is less than 50 yards from the coords. (We had a problem with some teens muggleing caches and offsets were too much trouble for them to go after).

GCFB2A Yelm's Deep

GCJCXV Yellowstone Not So National Park

Travis, 2 of my caches that are listed as Multi caches could be put on the potential route. They are really just offset caches ...

GCFB2A Yelm's Deep

GCJCXV Yellowstone Not So National Park

Thanks for the info. I'd excluded all of the multis from my potential route, but I'll make sure to throw these two back in the pool.

I briefly considered some of the Badger Mountain caches -- then I looked at the topo map. That seems like a no-go. Do you agree?

Also, at TCCM1, I remember a cache high on a hill overlooking the entire area. It was accessible by car, on a bumpy dirt road, and there were no cell towers or anything nearby. Maps failed us, though I think it was near I think the cache was a shiny metal box, but not an ammo can. This was one of my favorites, and if there's still a cache nearby, I want to be sure to include it on the route. Maybe it was near Lacy Road, between I-182 and Yakima River, south of Richland. Any idea what I'm talking about?

Also, at TCCM1, I remember a cache high on a hill overlooking the entire area. It was accessible by car, on a bumpy dirt road, and there were no cell towers or anything nearby. Maps failed us, though I think it was near I think the cache was a shiny metal box, but not an ammo can. This was one of my favorites, and if there's still a cache nearby, I want to be sure to include it on the route. Maybe it was near Lacy Road, between I-182 and Yakima River, south of Richland. Any idea what I'm talking about?

I believe the cache you are remembering is GC5276 Powerpuff Bluff which is just a little over the 2000 foot elevation mark, which is 1500 feet up from the highway. There are at least a 1/2 dozen caches along McBee Road / Jeep Trail (across the highway from Benton City) starting with GCXFCT Peakly Bridge. Portions of the 'road' can be kind of rough on those who are not daring or who care for their vehicles. I went up there 3 times with my PT Cruiser but doubt I would try with my Toyota Solara. :( Even without making it to that cache there are still 3 or 4 that would get you up high enough to be quite worth the trip.

Edit->Yes, Geeks are Us it up along that same road, just not quite so high.

Edited by YeOleImposter

I briefly considered some of the Badger Mountain caches -- then I looked at the topo map. That seems like a no-go. Do you agree?

I agree. Badger Mt is a stiff hike -- lots of fun but couple hours. There are a few at the base parking areas that are accessible if we happen to be driving by the area but anything along the trail is best left when you want some exercise.

You forget the first Wherigo in Washington State. The first cache machine that includes a Wherigo?

GC1A738 -- So Simple. Even a Caveman can find it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-c353e65f5aed

It's a 5 minute cache with 200 ft from parking. It's a quick cartridge.

John

You kidding me, :P:) It may only be a 5 minute cartridge, but it 20 minutes trying to find the correct route in with auto routing.

You forget the first Wherigo in Washington State. The first cache machine that includes a Wherigo?

GC1A738 -- So Simple. Even a Caveman can find it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bd-c353e65f5aed

It's a 5 minute cache with 200 ft from parking. It's a quick cartridge.

John

You kidding me, :blink::D It may only be a 5 minute cartridge, but it 20 minutes trying to find the correct route in with auto routing.

I tend to agree. I don't have the right unit for the Wherigo caches and so if I'm not with anyone with a unit that is capable of doing the cache then I'd be up a creek.

I notice at the Quads cache machine that quite a few people had the newer units capable of running the Wherigo. There is 2nd cache close by the same parking lot for alterative cache I guess. Most of the time, I notice at every cache stop there was always another cacher just leaving or showing up as you arrive at a cache. I can always email the final coords to anyone that wants them or can't get the cartridge to work. I've done that before.

The Wherigo builder can also be download by Windows PC. There is a emulator that actually runs the cartridge on the PC. You can play the cartridge on the PC then write down the coords once the cartridge displays the coords. Then the corrected coords can be plugged into a gps after that.

There has been multi's on the cache machine route before, that the final coords where in our hands before we started the cache machine. A Wherigo to me is just a very interactive multi-cache. We could hand out the coords anyone who want these before hand if needed.

Edited by shutle64

Haven't every been to a cache machine before and thinking about attending. I will be by myself though, as the hubby just isn't interested. Is it possible to team up with others? I do have the needed GPS to do the Wherigo as well!

Always possible -- and makes it more fun! Many drivers are looking for 'navigators' or just fill a back seat.

If you don't get any takers here on the forum, it is easy to find someone the night before at the pre-cache get together (still have to figure out where this time) or first thing in the morning.

Where are you coming from?

Haven't every been to a cache machine before and thinking about attending. I will be by myself though, as the hubby just isn't interested. Is it possible to team up with others? I do have the needed GPS to do the Wherigo as well!

Always possible -- and makes it more fun! Many drivers are looking for 'navigators' or just fill a back seat.

If you don't get any takers here on the forum, it is easy to find someone the night before at the pre-cache get together (still have to figure out where this time) or first thing in the morning.

Ooops !!!

I meant to ask where the out of town cachers will be staying ????

Priceline will get you a room at the Richland Red Lion. (what prices have people received?)

I am going to check today with a couple hotels in the area to see if any can give us a great rate.

Priceline tends to only let you get 1 bed :D

HOW about trying to get a great rate at - DAYS INN B)

HOTEL ROOMS

I just finished visiting a couple of hotels in Richland near the start point and believe I have a great deal.

Shilo Inn has stepped up and set a side a block of rooms for us.

$69 for Double Queen (1-4 people) or Single King (1-2 people).

Just mention "Geocaching Group Rate"

This is a nice hotel, has the areas largest pool (outdoor), free internet, in room fridge, microwave, and coffemaker, Cable TV (w/Showtime), and more.

Free continental breakfast (opens at 6am)

Hotel Link

Video Tour

Shilo will hold the rooms till the 9th, after that they will release them again for other reservations but still honor the price if they have available rooms.

Red Lion offered $86/night

Or if you want to spend as little as possible, Bali Hi Motel knocked their prices down.

$46/2Queens, $41/1King (but I would spend the extra $20 (and I am cheap).

Just ask for the "Geocaching Group Rate" when making your reservation or use the promo code 'GEO' if you book it online.

Rooms are clean and hotel is in good shape. I would stay here rather than pay $100 night somewhere else but $69 for the Shilo would be hard to explain to my wife why I chose the Bali Hi.

Bali Hi website

Yelp! Review of Bali Hi - gotta be a joke.

Edited by YeOleImposter

I made it up there with the SAGEFOX van about two weeks after TCM 1. I was following the route.

2ca0af35-b0ea-4b72-b618-7e1b3f63dc0f.jpg

Close to sunset. I was going to spend the night right there but I found that my dinner 1/2 of the Subway tuna sandwich had fallen in the ice water in the cooler on the way up the hill, and I was hungry.

Missed the WICM back in January, so I am looking forward to this event. Don't know if I can get the time off of work to attend.

When will the map/list be posted?

If I can attend, I would prefer to share a ride with someone, as I do not know the Tri-Cities area. Also would love to try a cache team experience.

Thanks Travisl for another great event!

I would be coming from Seattle. Trying to figure out if I can do it with just spending one night away. Am I crazy for thinking about that?

Thanks for your help, Ye Olde Imposer. More reviews of Bali-Hi/Knights Inn (I'll pass, thanks): http://www.travelpost.com/hotels/Bali_Hi_M...8848p1/#reviews http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews...Washington.html

I tried to get the Red Lion on Priceline for $47, no luck. I'll try a bit higher tomorrow.

Princess Lisa, I left the first Yakima Cache Machine after dinner and drove home to Tacoma. It's too alte and I was too tired -- I won't do that again. Add another 1:20 for travelling back from Kennewick. So yeah, I think you're crazy for considering it.

I'm still working on the route; plan to have first (and only) draft posted tomorrow, with final up September 14. Am I correct to assume that the parking for all Bateman Island caches will be in or near Wye Park?

OK - I stumbled into an extra hour of free time this morning, and got the first draft posted. I'm looking to add about another 5-10 caches to the route, preferably somewhere desert-like or with a long view. Any ideas? Anything else y'all see that I should do to improve the route?

Link wasn't working but found it at http://www.drizzle.com/~travis/tccm2.pdf :laughing:

Thanks Travis for the route. Planning the trip is half the fun of the event!!

OK - I stumbled into an extra hour of free time this morning, and got the first draft posted. I'm looking to add about another 5-10 caches to the route, preferably somewhere desert-like or with a long view. Any ideas? Anything else y'all see that I should do to improve the route?

Link wasn't working but found it at http://www.drizzle.com/~travis/tccm2.pdf :laughing:

Oasis, the link you posted is exactly the same as the one Travis did??

Oasis, the link you posted is exactly the same as the one Travis did??

Oops :laughing: Change travis's name in the url to travisl and that works!

http://www.drizzle.com/~travisl/tccm2.pdf

Wow! 95 caches and still so many that are skipped. Looks like this should be a 2 day cache machine :laughing:

Anyone staying over Sunday could easily pick up another 20-50 before going home.

Re Bateman Island, it is completely mapped in the NWTrails maps put out by Moun10bike as are most of the trails in this area.

Have posted the map to our local group's discussion forum for input.

Thanks! Travis!

Hi, I need you to remove a couple of my caches from your Tri-Cities Cache Machine route. #56 Anchors Aweigh GC1A9AC site is under construction and I can't replace the cache until they finish. It is currently disabled.

#22 Shell Game #1 GC14FCH would not survive the quantity of cachers en masse coming, so it would be destroyed if they tried.

This cache not mine, #59 Orphaned at Riverview GC17V3T has been archived and is no longer there.

Thanks. tumbleweed2 aka Kay Divine

Suggestions for additions to the route. These are both ones on the same road, that give a great view of the Tri-Cities in two directions. Neither is mine.

Tri-City View 2 GC1MJ6W Interstate View GC1MRH8

Kay Divine aka tumbleweed2

http://www.drizzle.com/~travisl/tccm2.pdf

Wow! 95 caches and still so many that are skipped. Looks like this should be a 2 day cache machine :laughing:

Anyone staying over Sunday could easily pick up another 20-50 before going home.

Re Bateman Island, it is completely mapped in the NWTrails maps put out by Moun10bike as are most of the trails in this area.

Have posted the map to our local group's discussion forum for input.

Thanks! Travis!

Our local group GCSEWA (pronounced GeeksWA), Geocachers of South Eastern Washington, is looking forward to the event. Had close to 30 folks at our monthly social this last month.

There are enough caches in the Tri-Cities for 2+ days of caching, so everyone plan to grab a bunch the day before or after the Cache Machine too!

Travis, we will plan to host a bbq lunch of some kind around noon at a park along the route. Details to follow!

That's awesome GCSEWA! That's for hosting a bbq lunch - they're always a welcome stop along the route!

I don't get it. I tried to re-read it to get it and I still don't.

A bunch of cachers go out to find the same caches at the same time in the same group? If that is right, then I don't get it. Is that the fun part? I went caching once and there were 6 of us. It sucked eggs bad. Why? Too many people. Chances are you won't find the cache. (Someone else will.) You're just along for the ride.

I checked most of my caches that you had listed on the proposed Cache Machine route today, and found one that I have to Archive, so it should be removed from the search list. #54. Aw, Shucks, I Lost Another Tire- They're all gone! GC1AJGY

Sure wish I was going to be here for it, but I have to head over to the coast/the Sound/Mt Vernon for 2 weeks.

Hi, I need you to remove a couple of my caches from your Tri-Cities Cache Machine route. #56 Anchors Aweigh GC1A9AC site is under construction and I can't replace the cache until they finish. It is currently disabled.

#22 Shell Game #1 GC14FCH would not survive the quantity of cachers en masse coming, so it would be destroyed if they tried.

This cache not mine, #59 Orphaned at Riverview GC17V3T has been archived and is no longer there.

Thanks. tumbleweed2 aka Kay Divine

A bunch of cachers go out to find the same caches at the same time in the same group? If that is right, then I don't get it. Is that the fun part? I went caching once and there were 6 of us. It sucked eggs bad. Why? Too many people. Chances are you won't find the cache. (Someone else will.) You're just along for the ride.

It's a Northwest thing. You get to meet alot of people from around the state, and actually from around the country. We have a nice dinner after. Apparently you don't like it so your not required to come.

Jim

Looking at the map, parking for 47 and 48 would be best on road 36 and we wouldn't have to move for 49 then. Also, if you still go up road 44 in Pasco, take right on to Burden, and follow it back dow to 36, you pass my cache, GC1V9VT (Bush of Burden), which has a ok view of the airport. Parking may be an issue, but there is space in front of the house and on the next street down (not on Burden).

Jeff

Well luckly this isn't in your back yard then. :)

Those of us that like this get it. In some parts of the country events get logged multiple times. I don't get that. Just ignore it.

Well luckly this isn't in your back yard then. :laughing:

Those of us that like this get it. In some parts of the country events get logged multiple times. I don't get that. Just ignore it.

:)

Did I have it right? I thought maybe I was missing something. There are other events in my back yard that I don't get either. Its not just this one. :grin:

Well luckly this isn't in your back yard then. :laughing:

:)

Did I have it right? I thought maybe I was missing something. There are other events in my back yard that I don't get either. Its not just this one. :grin:

Really, it's just all about the numbers. The number of caches you'll find. The number of different places you'll see. The number of unique and clever hides you'll come across. The number of laughs you'll have. The number of people you'll meet. The number of old friends you'll run into. The number of new friends you'll make.

I can see how that wouldn't appeal to some folks....

Really, it's just all about the numbers. The number of caches you'll find. The number of different places you'll see. The number of unique and clever hides you'll come across. The number of laughs you'll have. The number of people you'll meet. The number of old friends you'll run into. The number of new friends you'll make.

I can see how that wouldn't appeal to some folks....

Well said! Those are all of the things I love about cache machines!

For those planning to take I-90:

I-90 slowdowns expected over Snoqualmie Pass as road construction begins

Expect slowdowns on Interstate 90 as crews replace several miles of deteriorating concrete panels in the right lane of I-90 between Easton and Bullfrog Road, about 20 miles east of the Snoqualmie Summit. The work and lane closures are expected to add an up to an hour to drivers' commute times across Snoqualmie Pass.

The following restrictions will be in place 24 hours a day on I-90 from Sept. 8 to early November, between Easton (milepost 69) and Bullfrog Road (milepost 79):

• Eastbound traffic will be restricted to one lane starting Sept. 8.

• Eastbound and westbound traffic will be restricted to one lane starting Sept. 13.

• Westbound traffic will be rerouted to the eastbound side of the road as early as Sept. 16.

• On weekends, three lanes will be open: Two lanes eastbound Friday through Sunday morning; and two lanes westbound Sunday morning through early Monday morning.

Regarding hotels: If you're a Choice Hotels member and want to collect points for free nights, the cheapest option appears to be the Sleep Inn in Pasco at $76.45 (AAA rate). I'm booked there two nights, even though it's not right next to the route or dinner. I've stayed there before and liked it.

Edited by hydnsek