etrex legend hcx usb cable

spektrum2

Hello everyone

I had my legend hcx hooked up to the pc downloading caches,when I was finished I noticed I had used my tomtom usb cable,it didnt appear to hurt anything and it got me wondering if I could use my tomtom car cable with the legend in the car.Is a usb connection standard voltage etc?I cant find the specs on the legend car cable,the tomtom car cable is OUTPUT:5v2a INPUT:12/24v.Does anyone have a Legend hcx car cable with the specs on it?Or tell me if its a standard universal voltage/amp for usb connections?

Thanks Rob

Yes, all the USB specs are standard, including the voltages. If you are just using USB cables for the data connection you can use any standard USB cable you want. I've used many different ones to connect my Legend HCx to my desktop PC and to my laptop and netbook. I've got full length cables, shorter cables and even one of those retractable jobbies. All work fine for the data connection.

That's not the issue you need to be concerned about.

The issue re: powering using the USB cable is whether the power adapter is providing the correct voltage, or at least supplying voltage within the safe range for the device. It's also worth considering whether the power adapter is fused or otherwise protected against providing overvoltage spikes to the device.

I believe the Garmin auto adapter has fusing or regulating or some sort of overvoltage protection in it. Many cheap ones do not. Your Tomtom adapter may be of good quality in that regard. You can get some idea by comparing the specs printed on your Tomtom adapter versus the specs published on Garmin's web site for theirs.

Having said that, I have sometimes used a really cheap generic car adapter with my Legend HCx with no problems so far.

...ken...

[

...ken...

Hi ken

Yes my gut was telling me it would probably be ok,the tomtom cable is fused.The only concern I had was the output rating of 5v2a,so the 5v is standard but the 2amp could very is what I was thinking.Hopefully someone with a purchased garmin cable for the legend will post the specs from the cable,Garmin only describes it as a 12volt power adapter.Thanks for the info!!

Take care

Rob

hmmmm after usb cables its on to how to quote properly........

Edited by spektrum2

The cheap generic AC adapter I have only outputs 5VDC at 500mA through its USB connector and that handles the Legend, so you shouldn't have any problem with the Tomtom adapter at 2A.

...ken...

i use 1 cable for my canon camera, tomtom and garmin handheld. i just leave it attached to my pc and stick whatever device i'm' using in it and it works fine.

Ok thanks guys I'm thinking it should be ok then.I just wanted to err on the side of caution. The pc cable that came with unit and the car power cable on Garmins website have a round inline cylinder and I was'nt sure what it was, but now I'm guessing its a fuse.My tomtom 12volt cable has the fuse visible on the socket end so I thought I had better check.Sounds like I'm good to go then!I have a map package now so I wanted the external power supply for the constant backlighting.

Many Thanks!!!

That round segment on the Garmin cables is probably a ferrite core. Those are usually installed to filter out interference signals. It is a much better quality cable but it's really only needed if you are having problems with interference on the standard cable (eg. connected programs complain about data errors).

If you like the idea of a better quality cable you can use the Garmin cable for all your occasionally connected devices .. camera, GPS, whatever.

...ken...

That round segment on the Garmin cables is probably a ferrite core. Those are usually installed to filter out interference signals. It is a much better quality cable but it's really only needed if you are having problems with interference on the standard cable (eg. connected programs complain about data errors).

If you like the idea of a better quality cable you can use the Garmin cable for all your occasionally connected devices .. camera, GPS, whatever.

...ken...

Ahhhhh.....thats what those are!I've seen them on various cables.Thats good to know.Its amazing where these things go,you get your specific info and lots of stuff you can apply elsewhere.

Thanks again!