Junk In Cache Box

Oceanwalker

Hey all,

Yes, I'm also a newbie and I found 4 small lock and lock boxes yesterday....I was so excited...put them back exactly as they were. Now, call me dumb, but, in two of the boxes, were nothing but junk. I mean, dirty broken pieces from an old game, or religious pieces of paper, a folded colored piece of paper, or corroded pieces of metal broken off from a button of some sort...I mean, really, stuff you would never keep. In two other boxes were items worthy of cache...cool marble, button, magnet, key chain, etc....what is someone to do when they find things like this? I didn't think of replacing it, but I at least put some fun items in there (shiny coins, cool keychain, interesting stuff). I know it's about the hunt, but come on...this stuff was literally trash...what should I do? And suggestions for other cool items to upgrade the cache? Thx!

I'm impressed that you had a 50% success rate with good cache stuff. So far this summer I think I'm around 25%. I also try to put some extra swag in the caches that are lacking if I have anything that fits the container.

Yes. I was thinking of doing that, but wasn't sure I was "allowed"...I have to say, I would never take anything out, but my goodness, I was really shocked at some of the seriously dirty broken things I found in the box...it doesn't take much to come up with some good swag, I wouldn't think...am I wrong?

About all you can do is simply plan to trade up, wherever you go. (By trade up, I mean that you leave something of greater value then you take). The laws of chaos and entropy seem so to rule the realm of cache contents, unless there are dedicated cachers who intend to work against the trend. But take caution... nobody will thank you for it... and if you return to that cache in a couple of months, it may have reverted. That's just the nature of the beast.

There's nothing wrong with leaving some extra, good quality swag. And if you do, there's nothing wrong with swapping out the poor swag. And if the cache is legitimately full of garbage/trash/broken stuff... I don't see anything wrong with taking that stuff out altogether... and leaving some nice stuff in its place.

No matter what's in the cache, the rule is the same: trade up, trade even, or don't trade.

I usually trade only for signature items left by other geocachers, but I have occasionally traded up to replace trash with something interesting. That's about all you can do.

It's totally okay (IMHO) to remove obviously broken and damaged items from a cache as well, without trading for them, and take them to the nearst trash can. It actually helps everyone out - less crap to look through, less moldy paper retaining water inside the cache, that sort of thing. Just make sure you don't throw out the log book!

Edited by doingitoldschool

I try always to leave the cache in better shape than it was in when I found it. Extra swag, pencils or even a new log if needed. I'll remove true trash, unsafe or prohibited items and I have been surprised by the trash amount in recent finds. Broken items will usually get a log mention and left for the owner to decide.

I try always to leave the cache in better shape than it was in when I found it. Extra swag, pencils or even a new log if needed. I'll remove true trash, unsafe or prohibited items and I have been surprised by the trash amount in recent finds. Broken items will usually get a log mention and left for the owner to decide.

I, too, will always attempt to leave the cache (and the box) in better shape than found. I am still new at this, but already carry clean zip lock bags with me (snack and sandwich size) in case the log book bag is dirty, old, soggy, whatever....and will replace it with a new bag. I carry handy wipes, too, in case the cache box needs cleaning inside..pencils to replace, and of course, extra (interesting, fun) swag to replace broken, corroded, or wet cache.

Everyone likes when they find neat things inside the cache box, tube, etc...and again, I know it's about the hunt. However, it takes little effort to find/purchase/contribute decent swag so others can enjoy the surprise at the end of the hunt. I bet you can find interesting swag for geocaching at garage sales, around the house, dollar stores, asking friends for giveaways, old coins, asking the kids, family members...I'm rambling, so enjoy!

Finding true junk is also an indication of muggle activity. Once local kids (up to about the age of 87) find it, they then their friends usually return time and again to see if there's anything worthwhile to swipe. They often do, though leave pure garbage thinking (guessing here) that may appease the geocaching community as some sort of a trade.

We have noted to local COs about this stuff, and they usually rehide the cache to a new location and update the coordinates. Doesn't have to be far. Would guess it comes back to us........... if we aren't stealthy enuf, well that's what we are gonna get!

Am sure that no true geocacher would leave crap (riiiigggghhhhhttttt)! :(:D:P

Personalty I like to find swag in a cache. I only rarely trade, but I frequently leave something... at the very least an arrowhead or maybe something more. Maybe a few things if the cache is empty or full of... "junk". I've occasionally removed trash (opened band-aids, ruined business cards, acorns, etc) but I never considered that I was trading for it.

I have only traded a handful of times in the short amount of time I've been out caching. I'm just shy of turning 30 and just don't really see the point of moving items because it's usually stuff I have no use for, so I would trade it here, then retrade it back at the next cache. I do have items in my backpack though if the oppurtunity comes up, but for the most part, TNLNSL. I AM working on a few caches that are themed and will hopefully stay stocked up. I won't give them up right now, but I'm pretty excited for them and they are family friendly, but things that appeal to adults just as much as the youngins...

I have only traded a handful of times in the short amount of time I've been out caching. I'm just shy of turning 30 and just don't really see the point of moving items because it's usually stuff I have no use for, so I would trade it here, then retrade it back at the next cache. I do have items in my backpack though if the oppurtunity comes up, but for the most part, TNLNSL. I AM working on a few caches that are themed and will hopefully stay stocked up. I won't give them up right now, but I'm pretty excited for them and they are family friendly, but things that appeal to adults just as much as the youngins...

I'm glad to know that we all want to keep the cache box filled with decent cache and, good point about mugglers perhaps getting into the boxes. I'm going out geocaching today, so I'll post back to see what I find...I'm just a newbie, but plan to hit some neat spots today...we'll see what happens!

My teenager calls me the Martha Stewart of geocaching. I remove garbage (and I find a lot...I don't just mean low quality swag, I mean real authentic garbage), I wipe out containers with tissues, add swag when caches are looking pathetic.

I hadn't considered the muggle factor in that light. Good point.

I'm working on some low cost, fun, handmade items to place since being the geocache fairy godmother can get expensive. I've also been picking up more useful items for swag at the $ store, rather than just toy items.

I see no problem with removing garbage. Some will argue that what one person calls garbage is going to be someone elses treasure. I like to think my brain can tell the difference between real garbage and a remote possibility of treasure...I bet yours can too. Leave the cache in a condition you'd like to find it in if you have time and are so inclined, most people will be very grateful! :P

CITO always - including within the cache container

also, over the summer I have happily emptied caches stuffed full of calling cards and log books over 2 years old to make space for new log books (my donations) and for dropping coins and bugs - in all cases the COs appreciated the support and we made arrangements for return of logbooks over a few emails.

where we particularly like the hide / location / camo or if it's particularly kid friendly I will trade up heavily and donate several decent (new !) pieces of swag

CITO always - including within the cache container

also, over the summer I have happily emptied caches stuffed full of calling cards and log books over 2 years old to make space for new log books (my donations) and for dropping coins and bugs - in all cases the COs appreciated the support and we made arrangements for return of logbooks over a few emails.

where we particularly like the hide / location / camo or if it's particularly kid friendly I will trade up heavily and donate several decent (new !) pieces of swag

Yesterday, we found three cache boxes....one had only a TB and a coin, so I gladly deposited three more (new) swag into the box for others to enjoy. The second cache box we found was dirty, so I emptied its contents and wow, did a lot of dirt just slide right out. I didn't have my wipes with me, otherwise I would have wiped it out. There was a lot of old junk and paper in there along with a few cool things...I contributed more swag to this cache...The last box had clean, updated cache, so that was nice. I want others to be happy with what they find and v.v. Dirty, old, worn, damp, corroded items just aren't welcomed....A clean cache box with clean items is!

I, too, will always attempt to leave the cache (and the box) in better shape than found. I am still new at this, but already carry clean zip lock bags with me (snack and sandwich size) in case the log book bag is dirty, old, soggy, whatever....and will replace it with a new bag. I carry handy wipes, too, in case the cache box needs cleaning inside..pencils to replace, and of course, extra (interesting, fun) swag to replace broken, corroded, or wet cache.

I'm a newbie but I did some snooping around the site before I went searching & I came up with a list of things to keep in my backpack. I have extra ziplocks, extra logs, pencils, paper towels and wipes. And of course extra swag.

So far, we did have to wipe out a container and set up a makeshift ziplock cover because the lid was broken. I did post in my log about the lid just so the hider knows and may want to replace it.

If I ever come across a cache with garbage in it, I'll just toss it in the trash bag (Hmmmm maybe I should carry a pair of gloves too) and let the hider know in my log just in case this keeps happening and they may want to think about relocating.

You'll quickly learn that it truly is the 'journey' not the cache contents that make the game fun. I would like to believe that no true geocacher would leave garbage in a cache, but I've been to too many that are simply way too far out of the way to be very likely the target of muggles. I guess they could be. . . but somehow I doubt it.

That said, I've found anything from beer bottle caps (recently actually - thought they could be signature items, but there were three of the same brand) to empty gum wrappers. I guess it's better to place ones trash in a cache than on the trail, so I just put in some appropriate swag, collect what would be considered by virtually anyone to be trash and move on to the next cache.

I love caching - but don't typically use it as a source for hot sauce or used bottle caps.

I cache with my kids, so I like to seek the caches with swag.

If if find sodden sig cards, rusted trinkets or broken junk, I pull it.

If it's wet I, dry what I can and bag anything loose that I think should be protected.

If it's low on swag, I drop a handful. My kids are learning the joy of sharing and helping.

I have been tempted to replace damp logs, but feared that might be taboo. Of course, I would try to contact the CO to send them the log. Anyone have an opinion on that?

I have been tempted to replace damp logs, but feared that might be taboo. Of course, I would try to contact the CO to send them the log. Anyone have an opinion on that?
I carry waterproof replacement logs. If the log is full, soggy, or otherwise unusable, then I leave a replacement log. (The replacement logs also have a stash note on them, so I also leave one if the cache doesn't have a stash note.)

I've never removed the existing log, but if I did, then I'd offer to mail it to the CO. Or if the CO preferred, I'd post a photo/scan of the existing log to the cache page.

My 7 year old daughter is the other 1/2 of themayfieldfamily that hunts and loves finding swag as an added bonus of the hunt. One of the caches we found(only found 2 a ammo box and a micro) had just a few little junkie things in there... she took a foam red dice (maybe a sig item as it was handmade) and put in a mctoy and a kids necklace (to help the cache as she said) I was glad that she understood the philosophy behind the "bonus" We are going this weekend with 5 dollars to hit up the dollar tree for the party goodie bag things to add to our bag of mctoys that she has to trade with again her idea and her allowance... she has taken to this great and we love love it :)

I´m also new to the game, but I´ve already wondered about all the trash I found in caches, like rusty old screws and stuff like that. I know it´s about the hunt, but shouldn´t a cache also be kind of a "hidden treasure"?

I thought about this and I realized that the only way to "trade up" is to put some money into the hobby and simply buy stuff. So I stacked up on little cache items, mainly geocaching-related things cachers can use like logo pins, carrying lanyards or (unactivated) travelbug dog tags.

It does cost some money, but I think this is the core of the "junk in caches" problem: cachers who have no problem paying $200+ for a GPS but won´t shell out 2 bucks for some cache gifts.

I think I should also take a small garbage bag with me from now on, to remove rusty screws and the other junk.. I left them there because as a newbie I didn´t know what to do with them, but after reading this thread I realize that taking out the garbage is already a way to improve a cache.

:)

Well Folks It's Been this Way Since The "Day" Broken Mc Toys, Moist Hand Wipes (KC), Bottle-Caps, Expired-Cupons, Etc. Etc. In this area it's come to the place where folks just don't trade / or the they just don't want to be bothred with getting swag / toteing it around etc, "cheap" Smiley's-Only, What Ever.......EVOLUTION Of The Sport :)

I had this same problem, so I just added a new log and noted Needs Maintenance that the log was damp and I added one. If it is mush it's of no use, I'd pull it.

Since you added a new dry log... there would be no need for a NM log.

You already did the maintenance which was a very kind gesture.