Cornwall walks

There are some caches in very scenic spots in the far west of Cornwall but you won't find many (any?) power type circular trails with caches every half mile or so.

I'll give you a suggested walk of about 4 miles around Porthcurno (my childhood home, about 15 miles from St Ives) which takes you along a beautiful stretch of coastline - Only 4 caches along the route but some other interesting places along the way that you may like to visit.

Park at Treen village. Head across fields to the Logan Rock headland (GCKX8Y Logan Rock cache), then follow the coastal path westwards to Porthcurno valley. Across the beach and out onto the Minack Point (GCV89A Get to the point! ...but only if you're confident scrambling over rocks close to the sea) then retrace your steps a bit and a steep ascent up to the Minack open-air theatre and continue along the coastal path to Porthchapel beach. Here you can get GC1V0BP Holy newts, Batman!, then head inland to the pretty St Levan church (GC1VAM3 Methuselah's rest). from there take the footpath back through the fields to Porthcurno valley. You can then catch a bus back to Treen or follow an alternative footpath back to that village.

Hopefully this won't been seen as too much "own cache promotion". :blink:

Contact me through our profile if you want more info about area west of Penzance.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

"Got a light boy? Godrevy lighthouse" is a lovely spot - great views and if you go there you might want to make a note of this: Food note. :blink:

"Kernow I" is another stunning location which may be familiar to watchers of "Coast". There's also a very interesting multi-cache nearby - "Fool's gold rush",which takes you on an informative walk around the local tin mining area.

"Don't look down II" is another good spot. GPS reception is a bit variable there, on the side of the cliff, with massive granite beside you - If you do it on your own then it would be good to let someone know where you've gone - as I recall there was no mobile phone signal available.

"Madron Well" is another lovely spot; Pagan origins - Have a look at some of the photos in the gallery.

MrsB

I shall be watching this thread, as I've got 3 days in Cornwall (camping near Helston) at the end of the month.

Any recommended "must do" caches?

Thinking of Helston... We haven't done this one, but I've heard it's well worth visiting because it's an interesting place and if you mention that you're geocaching you get free admittance. :blink:

"Arthur" at Goonhilly Downs.

MrsB

I shall be watching this thread, as I've got 3 days in Cornwall (camping near Helston) at the end of the month.

Any recommended "must do" caches?

GCYK23 Got a Light Boy ? Lizard Lighthouse

Park in the NT car park by Lizard Point and follow the coast path round to the cache. It's about a mile each way but it's well worth it. This reminded us of what caching SHOULD be like

This is also the most southerly cache on mainland UK

Mark ( but Donna agrees :( )

We've done quite a few caches in West Cornwall (around both Lands End and Lizard) and can't think of any that we really didn't like.

Typically we found we'd drive somewhere, park the car and often end up walking a mile or so to a cache, then walk back to the car and go on to the next one. It's a bit disjointed but a lot of caches make it worth the walk.

One time we parked in Lizard village and walked up towards Coverack, then back along the coast path to Lizard Point and up. All in about 6-7 miles.

It's been a while since we were in Cornwall (last time was 2007) so the cache population will have evolved a bit since then.

We got back from a couple of weeks in Gwithian (near St Ives) a while ago.

I can recommend the ones on the coast path at Godrevy. Fantastic views and you may see seals etc.

Kernow 1 is a must do. I DNFd it but it has been found since and is absolutely stunning.

There are a few easy ones in St Ives itself. A virtual and one called NCI - St Ives (nice views from this one).

On the Lizard I would go to Kynance Cove as there are a few there. Try to get there at low tide to do the Asparagus one on the island. The Marconi site one at Poldu has also been re-instated since we were there. The museum is right by but check opening times as we picked the wrong day.

The Empty Mausoleum is good of an evening with nice views and sunset.

Not sure this helps with any loops though. There are a few multis between Hayle and Gwithian that you could link up.