Spoiler photos?

Geo Doodles

My family and I went on our first geocache excursion today and I got a nice picture that I'd like to post on the cache page. Problem is it's a spoiler. I'm just wondering if it's ok to post pictures of the finds and/or the area around the cache. I don't want to give anything away if it's not allowed, but I'd love to post the pic. TIA!

Pictures of the surrounding area are usually ok... Something you saw on the way into or out of the cache is usually great... even a picture of the contents of the cache can be good.

If the container is cleverly camoed... or if your photo gives away the hide or the hiding place... then best to avoid.

When in doubt, I suppose you could contact the cache owner and ask their preference.... you could even send them a pic to see if they think it's a spoiler.

My family and I went on our first geocache excursion today and I got a nice picture that I'd like to post on the cache page. Problem is it's a spoiler. I'm just wondering if it's ok to post pictures of the finds and/or the area around the cache. I don't want to give anything away if it's not allowed, but I'd love to post the pic. TIA!

First, it's generally not ok to post a spoiler photo. However, there is a world of difference between what you (as a new cacher) think of as a spoiler and what the cache owner thinks of as a spoiler. The area around the cache is usually not a spoiler. In fact, I nearly always take a picture of the area near the cache and call it "View from the Cache". The cache itself is often not a spoiler. I also take photos of caches that are in normal containers (ammo boxes and lock n locks) to show the contents.

What I don't post a photo of:

1) The cache sitting in its hiding place;

2) A distinctive cache that is very special and unusual;

3) A distinctive location if it would give away the answer to a puzzle cache.

In general I've found that people truly like photos of the areas around their caches. I've recieved some nice comments on mine. I'm told that pictures of happy people and happy children holding the cache are especially desirable as photos.

Carolyn