Garmin 60csx or 60cs

cbr310

not surre which one to get. Cant find any side buy side comparisions. Dont need the bells and whistles or color scren. Just want it accurate and to work under tree cover. Or is the a better one for what I want to do? This is just for Geocaching. Thanks all!! And I been doing research for a couple days and just not smart enough to understand the technology side.

not surre which one to get. Cant find any side buy side comparisions. Dont need the bells and whistles or color scren. Just want it accurate and to work under tree cover. Or is the a better one for what I want to do? This is just for Geocaching. Thanks all!! And I been doing research for a couple days and just not smart enough to understand the technology side.

These both have pretty much the same bells and whistles. The difference is that the "x" model uses a memory card for much greater map storage, and has the high-sensitivity GPS chip, which makes a HUGE difference.

Here is the comparison of the 60 | 60Cx | 60CSx - there is no cs (that I no of at least)

Most people will tell you that for caching you should get the High-sensitivity receiver, which the 60 doesn't have, the other 2 do. The CSx has a compass and altimeter. The Cx is on sale at Costco for $219.

:blink:

The 60CS is discontinued. Your choice for sensitivity under tree cover (in the 60 series) is either the 60Cx or the 60CSx. Both have the high sensitivity chip, the 60CSx has a barometric altimeter and a two-axis compass. Those would probably be the bells and whistles you don't think you need.

Thank you guys so much! Think Ill go with the 60Cx. Cheaper and still what I want. I just started out a week ago and Im addicted! Just ordered it from cosco 244.54 shipped to my door. added a 11$ charge for not beinga member. I still think this is a good deal....I hope.

Edited by cbr310

Thank you guys so much! Think Ill go with the 60Cx. Cheaper and still what I want. I just started out a week ago and Im addicted! Just ordered it from cosco 244.54 shipped to my door. added a 11$ charge for not beinga member. I still think this is a good deal....I hope.

It may be too late and I don't want to disturb you, but in my opinion you should go for the CSx.

The plus in "bells and whistles" of the CSx over the Cx is quite worth the extra money, especially for geocaching. I don't care about the barometric altimeter too, but the eletronic compass was one of the main reasons for me to buy a GPSr in the first place.

Before I bought the CSx I was geocaching using my mobile phone, which lacks a compass but has good GPS accuracy. When I was closing in on a cache and missing it, I often had to walk back and forth in a straight (!) line to give the GPS a chance to figure out were north is. Unless I did that I only knew how far the cache is away, but not in which direction. That increased my wandering around a lot and in dense vegetation this makes things very difficult sometimes. Even worse, in dense vegetation the GPS receiption is usually not that good, so you have to walk even further back and forth to get a bearing.

Imagine yourself trying to walk 15 meters dead ahead in rough undergrowth just to learn you're just walking away from the cache.

With the compass that's all a matter of the past. To me the compass is even more important then the high accuracy of the CSx because knowing the right direction is saving you more time than knowing whether the cache is 1 or 3 meters away from you.

If I were you I'd return the CX once you get it and order the CSx instead. After all, you're about to spend a lot of money for a device that should accompany you a good while, so why don't you spend just a little more to get all you might need?

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I had to choose between buying one thing and another version of the same thing that was slightly more expensive but had some features I didn't care about in the beginning, I was later regretting that I tried to save some money because I was back in square one when I figured out that indeed I wanted the additional features.

The advantage of having an electronic compass may seem negligible, but only as long as you haven't had one.

just my two cents...

best,

Pulvertoastmann

It may be too late and I don't want to disturb you, but in my opinion you should go for the CSx.

The plus in "bells and whistles" of the CSx over the Cx is quite worth the extra money, especially for geocaching. I don't care about the barometric altimeter too, but the eletronic compass was one of the main reasons for me to buy a GPSr in the first place.

Before I bought the CSx I was geocaching using my mobile phone, which lacks a compass but has good GPS accuracy. When I was closing in on a cache and missing it, I often had to walk back and forth in a straight (!) line to give the GPS a chance to figure out were north is. Unless I did that I only knew how far the cache is away, but not in which direction. That increased my wandering around a lot and in dense vegetation this makes things very difficult sometimes. Even worse, in dense vegetation the GPS receiption is usually not that good, so you have to walk even further back and forth to get a bearing.

Imagine yourself trying to walk 15 meters dead ahead in rough undergrowth just to learn you're just walking away from the cache.

With the compass that's all a matter of the past. To me the compass is even more important then the high accuracy of the CSx because knowing the right direction is saving you more time than knowing whether the cache is 1 or 3 meters away from you.

If I were you I'd return the CX once you get it and order the CSx instead. After all, you're about to spend a lot of money for a device that should accompany you a good while, so why don't you spend just a little more to get all you might need?

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I had to choose between buying one thing and another version of the same thing that was slightly more expensive but had some features I didn't care about in the beginning, I was later regretting that I tried to save some money because I was back in square one when I figured out that indeed I wanted the additional features.

The advantage of having an electronic compass may seem negligible, but only as long as you haven't had one.

just my two cents...

best,

Pulvertoastmann

The compass really isn't that necessary these days with the high sensitivity receiver units. You can literally walk about a foot now (sometimes less than that) to get a heading. It's not like the old days (like 3 years ago...) with GPSrs such as the eTrex Legend and eTrex Yellow where the compass was actually somewhat useful since they would very frequently lose a location fix if you were hiking in forested areas. In that situation it was very nice to be able to get a bearing to your destination if your location was lost.

Reception however on the new units is so good that you're pretty much guaranteed a solid lock wherever you go.

A quick search here on the form would have revealed lots of topic discussing 60CSx vs 60CS....

Conclusion:

60CS no

60CSx yes

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to search with 4 digits (60cs) I try with a * and I try with a +, neither will get it to the required 5 digit requirement. So that means you need to search on 60csx... Now if you search through the entire post for that you will get hundreds and hundreds of links that have nothing to do with 60cs. So I searched through titles, and going back almost 6 months and 150+ posts, there was 1, yes 1 thread asking about these 2 and it had 2 replies. So can someone please tell me how to do a quick search on a unit with 4 digits. Until then, a big thanks to those that answer these questions to help us newbies along :(

Thanks.

I cancelled my order and ordered a refurbished CSx from pcnation for 248 shipped. I came with everything a new one did and a year warranty. Im glad I found this deal and only paid 4$ more for the better gps. Thanks all.

For $4, you made the right choice, without a doubt!!! :D From what I have read the 60CSx is one of the more accurate receivers around. I purchased the PN-40 and am having a blast with my new found caching fun, I'm sure you will too.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to search with 4 digits (60cs) I try with a * and I try with a +, neither will get it to the required 5 digit requirement.

advance search on Google.com and search Groundspeak.com only on the domain name.

Thanks, did that. I still only come up with 1 other thread with a 60CS vs. 60CSx question.

Oh well, so much for a quick search showing up lots of topics discussing these 2...

The internal search engine doesn't even like "PN-XX" :(

Again, I've heard good things about the 60Cx and the 60CSx, either one would be a winner.

I cancelled my order and ordered a refurbished CSx from pcnation for 248 shipped. I came with everything a new one did and a year warranty. Im glad I found this deal and only paid 4$ more for the better gps. Thanks all.

In my initial post I didn't want to presume to tell you how to spend your money, but I also think you made a wise decision. For geocaching, the electronic compass is a very nice - to - have feature. I use the 76CSx, which is the same receiver in a different housing. I have always found the compass to be useful and accurate, as long as I re-calibrated it every time I changed batteries.

Thanks, that brought up no other threads comparing 60CS vs 60 CSx. There are many 60 CX vs. the 60 CSX threads though. My point was that there are no quick searches that bring up lots of topics asking this. I am not debating that one unit is better than the other, because I do not know too many that would recommend a non "x" unit for geocaching. I think it is important to have a high sesitivity chip, as do you, I'm sure.

It would be nice to tweak the internal search a bit to allow searcheslike this and also for units like I have "PN-40", as I can't use the GC search for that either.

It's all good :D

I have always found the compass to be useful and accurate, as long as I re-calibrated it every time I changed batteries.

I just received my rechargable pack in the mail. I'm hoping not to have to recalibrate mine any more :(

:P