Cointest - Geocaching in Portugal since 2001

PLnauta

:) HI

Al last, these arrive today and as someone suggest earlier here it goes.

This cointest will be open until Sunday 12PM.

To win this geocoin you've got to post a line for each date engraved on the front face of the geocoin describing the events that were so important in Portugal history :blink:

Each line must have a image too.

I'll select the most complete post of all.

Have fun,

Paulo aka PLnauta

GeoPTsinceRE153.jpg

1139 - Afonso Henriques proclaimed himself king after The Battle of Ourique

BatalhaOurique.jpg

1143 - alfonso was officially recognised as king

AfonsoI-P.jpg

1385 - was the end to a civil war that began with the death of king ferdinand I of portugal

AljubarrotaBattle.jpg

1640 - portuagls independance was interupted untill 1640 because king sebastien died in morroco without an heir and phillip II of spain took the throne.

Batalha.jpg

Edited by paganfrog

BatalhaOurique.jpg

AfonsoI-P.jpg

1385 - was the end to a civil war that began with the death of king ferdinand I of portugal

AljubarrotaBattle.jpg

1640 - portuagls independance was interupted untill 1640 because king sebastien died in morroco without an heir and phillip II of spain took the throne.

Batalha.jpg

You are tooooooooooooo fast

Thank you for the cointest! I searched a little and to tell you the truth, it was a little hard to find photos to be connected with the historic facts of th dates! :blink:

anyway....

1139:

The Battle of Ourique (July 25 1139, St. James day) saw the forces of Portuguese Prince Afonso Henriques (of the House of Burgundy) defeat the Almoravid Moors led by Ali ibn Yusuf. There is no certainty about its exact location, probably in the countryside between the town of Castro Verde and Ourique, present-day Baixo Alentejo (Lower Alentejo) region of southern Portugal.

Despite the fact that the Christian Portuguese forces were strongly outnumbered, the Muslim armies were weakened by internal leadership problems, and the victory for Afonso Henriques was such that he proclaimed himself King of the Portuguese as Afonso I with the overwhelming support of his troops, having vanquished and slain, so legend says, five Moorish kings.

Immediately after the battle, King Afonso I of Portugal called for the first assembly of the estates-general of Portugal at Lamego, where he was given the Crown from the Bishop of Braga, to confirm the independence from the Kingdom of León and Castile.

So, on 1139, King Alfonso proclaimed himself the first king of Portugal!

* photo of the battle of Ourique, where Alfonso proclaimed himself king of Portugal! the painting show the "God's help" for that! :)

BatalhaOurique.jpg

-----------------------------------

1143:

The Treaty of Zamora (1143) recognized Portuguese independence from the Kingdom of León and Castile. Based on the terms of the accord, King Alfonso VII of León and Castille recognized the Kingdom of Portugal in the presence of King Afonso I of Portugal, witnessed by the papal representative, Cardinal Guido de Vico, at the Cathedral of Zamora. Both kings promised durable peace between their kingdoms. By this treaty Portugal also recognized the suzerainty of the pope.

So… this is the officially date of the birth of the kingdom of Portugal!

* photo of the statue of King Alfonso I that stands outside of his castle - palace (Am I correct?)

afonso_henriques.jpg

-----------------------------------------------

1385:

The 1383–1385 Crisis was a period of civil war in Portuguese history that began with the death of King Ferdinand I of Portugal, who left no male heirs, and ended with the accession to the throne of King John I in 1385, in the wake of the Battle of Aljubarrota.

In Portugal, this period is also known as the "Portuguese Interregnum", since it is a period when no crowned king reigned. The period is interpreted in Portuguese popular history as a Portuguese national "resistance movement" countering Castilian intervention, as the "great revealer of national consciousness", as Robert Durand expressed it.

In 1383, King Ferdinand I of Portugal was dying. From his marriage with Leonor Telles de Menezes only a girl, princess Beatrice of Portugal, survived. Her marriage was the major political issue of the day, since it would determine the future of the kingdom.

Several political factions lobbied for possible husbands, which included English and French princes. Finally, the king settled for his wife's first choice, King John I of Castile. He had waged three wars against Castile during his reign, and the marriage, celebrated in May 1383, was intended to put an end to hostilities by a union of the two crowns; however, this was not a widely accepted solution. This dynastic union meant that Portugal would lose independence to Castile; many nobles were fiercely opposed to this possibility, but they were not united under a common pretender to the crown. The two candidates, both illegitimate half-brothers of Ferdinand, were:

• John, son of Peter I of Portugal and Inês de Castro, at the time living in Castile

• John, Great Master of Aviz, another natural son of Peter I, very popular among the Portuguese middle class and traditional aristocracy

On October 22, King Ferdinand died. According to the marriage contract, dowager queen Leonor assumed regency in the name of her daughter Beatrice and son-in-law, John I of Castile. Since diplomatic opposition was no longer possible, the party for independence took more drastic measures, starting the 1383–1385 crisis.

About 1385:

The Battle of Aljubarrota took place on 14 August 1385, between the forces commanded by King John I of Portugal and his general Nuno Álvares Pereira, and the army of King John I of Castile. The place was São Jorge, between the towns of Leiria and Alcobaça in central Portugal. The result was a decisive defeat of the Castilians and the end of the 1383-1385 Crisis, establishing John as King of Portugal.

Portuguese independence was assured and a new dynasty, the House of Aviz, was established. Scattered border confrontations with Castilian troops would persist until the death of John I of Castile in 1390, but these posed no real threat to the new dynasty. To celebrate his victory and acknowledge divine help, John I of Portugal ordered the construction of the monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória na Batalha and the founding of the town of Batalha (Portuguese for "battle". The king, his wife Philippa of Lancaster, and several of his sons are buried in this monastery, today a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

* photo shows the battle of Aljubarrota

AljubarrotaBattle.jpg

-------------------------------------------

1640:

Portuguese Restoration War (Portuguese: Guerra da Restauração) was the name given by nineteenth-century 'romantic' historians to the war between Portugal and Spain that began with the Portuguese revolution of 1640 and ended with the Treaty of Lisbon (1668). The revolution of 1640 ended the sixty-year period of dual monarchy in Portugal and Spain under the Spanish Habsburgs.[1] [2] The period from 1640 to 1668 was marked by periodic skirmishes between Portugal and Spain, as well as short episodes of more serious warfare, much of it occasioned by Spanish and Portuguese entanglements with non-Iberian powers.

In the seventeenth century and afterwards, this period of sporadic conflict was simply known, in Portugal and elsewhere, as the Acclamation War. The war restored the sovereignty of Portugal's ruling dynasty, the House of Braganza, by deposing a foreign king, Philip IV of Spain, and acclaiming another one, João IV of Portugal, who was more legitimate and suitable to the Portuguese. This ended the so-called Iberian Union.

This was the beginning of the House of Braganza, which was to reign in Portugal until 1910.

The flag and coat of arms of Portugal was created in 1640… I think!

Timeline:

1640: A small group of conspirators stormed the royal palace in Lisbon and deposed the Spanish vicereine, the Duchess of Mantua on 1 December 1640. She, famously, tried to calm the Portuguese people during demonstrations in the Terreiro do Paço, at the time, Lisbon's main square, but her efforts failed. The Duke of Bragança, head of the senior family among the Portuguese nobility, accepted the throne as João IV of Portugal later the same day. João IV's entire reign was dominated by the struggle to establish and maintain independence from Spain.

* photo shows king Joao IV proclaining the independence of Portugal!

200px-Joao_IV_proclaimed_king.jpg

Sorry if my post id a long one! :cry:

BatalhaOurique.jpg

AfonsoI-P.jpg

AljubarrotaBattle.jpg

Batalha.jpg

You are tooooooooooooo fast

hey merchlinsky, dont give up, i may be fast but plnauta said he would pick the best one he liked to be the winner. just cos im fast dont mean ill win my friend. im just a geek who loves to try n win but just to have fun really.

Thanks for the cointest. I took a bit of a different approach and the other entries are wonderful! I decided to compare flags over the changes during these historic events. It was interesting to learn the significance of the blue and the dots...........and then look at your coin. Also, to learn more about Portugal.

Here is my entry:

1143 – Portugal has been an independent Kingdom since this date. Afonso Herigues declared Portugal independent from the Spanish Kingdom of Castile & Leon and took the title of Afonso I. It is interesting looking at the flag of the time and reading a discussion about the “silver nails in the five district areas”.

I wondered why there were dots on the coin – perhaps to represent the nails. My chosen photo will be of the flag from this date courtesy of António Martins. portugal1143.gif

1385 – The fate of Portugal was decided at the Battle of Aljubarrota, 8/14/1385. The country retained its independence and the House of Avis established itself as the Portugal’s dynasty. John 1 of Portugal defeated John 1 of Castile (Spain) in this battle.

My chosen photo is a flag from 1385 – 1481 taken from Wikimedia. 545px-Armoires_portugal_1385_svg.png

1139 – Portugal became a kingdom, 7/26/1139, when Afonso I was proclaimed King. This was immediately after the Battle of Ourique. The monarchy was overthrown in 1910.

My chosen photo is a flag of the era – taken from Wikipedia. Again, the dots play a significant role along with the blue. 125px-Flag_Portugal_28183029_svg.png

1640 – The Portuguese Restoration War, as it is called, is the war between Portugal and Spain that began with the Portuguese revolution of 1640. This revolution ended the 60 year duel monarchy in Portugal and Spain under the Spanish Hasburgs. It all began when Philip II of Portugal (known as Philip III in Spain) died and was succeeded by Philip III (known as Philip IV in Spain). As leadership and conditions changed there was a coup executed on 12/1/1640. This was 60 years after the crowning of the 1st dual monarch Philip I. The support of the people was evident. Immediately after assuming the Portuguese throne, João IV took several steps to strengthen his position. On 12/11/1640, a 'Council of War' was created to organize all of the operations. The first few major engagements proved that Portuguese could not easily be returned to submission to Spain. The county was at war or conflict for many years thereafter. It ended with the Treaty of Lisbon in 1668.

My final photo will be the Flag of the Portuguese Republic. Another Flag from Wickipedia. You will see the evolution of this flag and hopefully follow my approach to highlight these dates in history. 120px-Flag_of_Portugal_svg.png

Thank you for helping me to learn more about your County. Why couldn't I have enjoyed learning history as much when I was in school? This would be a great exercise for any home schoolers!

Edited for spelling - sorry!

Edited by hollora

Okay ... so can we say research time??? Here's what I've found: :(

1139July 25th: Dom Afonso Henriques defeats the Almoravids army, which was led by Ali ibn Yusuf and four other Emirs, during the Battle of Ourique. The Almoravids army was the culmination of Badajoz, Beja, Evora, Santarém, and Seville armies fighting together. Upon his victory, Dom Afonso Henriques declared King of Portugal and Portugal is declared independent from the Kingdom of León and Castile.

November 1st: Dom Afonso Henriques (Afonso I) is crowned King of Portugal in Braganca beginning the House of Burgendy Dynasty.

ourique2.jpg from www.ucalgary.ca/.../tutor/eurvoya/portover.html

1143October 4th: Don Alfonso VII of Castile and León recognized the Kingdom of Portugal. Both Kings sign the Treaty of Zamora, which settled land claims between the kingdoms and created an agreement of peace.

July: Afonso sent money to Pope Innocent II declaring his allegiance and placing his kingdom under Saint Peter’s and the Holy See’s protection. He also guaranteed that he and his successors would pay an annual fee.

zamora.jpg Cathedral of Zamora – treaty signed here. From http://tenthmedieval.wordpress.com/2009/02...of-information/

1385April 6th: Dom João, Mestre de Avis proclaimed the new King of Portugal in Coimbra, becoming the first in the House of Aviz.

April: An English fleet with volunteer reinforcements arrives in Lisbon.

May 28th: Portuguese forces defeat Castile army at the Battle of Trancoso.

August – Dom Juan I of Castile entered Portugal with 30,000 men and captured Coimbra and Leiria.

August 14th: Dom João defeated the Castile army, which was supported by French troops, with the help of Nuno Álvares Pereira and English troops during the Battle of Aljubarrota.

October: Nuno Álvares Pereira fights the Castile army in the Battle of Valverde.

0798_guiao_textos2.jpg Batalha de Aljubarrota from www.aph.pt/destaque/0798_guiao_textos.html

1640 – Prince of Catalonia declares war on Don Felipe IV of Spain

June: Spain demanded that Portugal provide an army to stop the riots in Catalonia, and the aristocracy and landowners object to the order.

December 1st: Portugal joins the revolt against Spain, which is already involved in a civil war in Catalonia. The Duke of Braganza accepts the throne of an independent Portugal and becomes King John IV.

D_Joao_IV.jpg King John IV when he was proclaimed King of Portugal, December 1st, 1640

From www.dightonrock.com/firs_queen_of_bristol.htm

Thank you so much for creating this Cointest. I love history and learning about other cultures! This was truely an interesting and educational search! I enjoy how you used to coat of arms as it was prior to 1252 in the coin design, very nice touch! I believe this coin is a wonderful tribute to Portugal, her history, and her people. :D

Hi,

And the winner is :P

Paganfrog, and Gatoulis, and Hollora and Cutt4 :(:D

I really like the way Hollora did his(her) search, but i'm really happy with your efforts and i think you know a little more of this small european country. Thank you a lot for consider this cointest and to participate :P

Please e-mail me your address and I'll sent you one copy of this geocoin.

Paulo aka PLnauta

PM sent with information. Thank you for this fun cointest and I did learn a lot. Portugal was a special country to me anyway, which I explained in my PM, but, I learned a lot more.

This coin will become a very special part of my collection. Again, my sincere thanks. Nice efforts on the part of everyone who posted!