Stealing Ammo Boxes

Somehow I got on the copies to for this email:

This was forwarded to me from my uncle in St. George, Utah, who

caches under the name "Moroni". In Mormon lore, Moroni was the angel who

lead Joseph Smith to the golden plates he deciphered into the Book of

Mormon. At least, that's how I remember it as it was related to me about 40

years ago.

At any rate, I think it's probably a good idea to drop the words

"ammo box" from our descriptions if people are actively targeting them.

Thieving muggles are a big enough frustration without having people with GPS

receivers running around stealing geocoins and ammo boxes. It's sad to

acknowledge that our society produces members like those.

> I think ammo cans have become a target of thieves lately. I suspect the

> ammo can was taken some time ago (maybe 2007) which resulted in a string

> of DNFs on East Fork. I have found at least 20 caches this year where the

> ammo cans have gone missing. If you put a new ammo can there I would

> recommend taking the words "ammo can" out of your descriptions so theives

> won't be so inclined to make the hike.

>

> It is a great cache. I think the pill bottle got placed there by a good

> samaritan to prevent Groundspeak from archiving the cache since it had

> lots of DNFs. Groundspeak is on a campaign to eliminate caches whose

> owners are no longer caching and do not maintain thier caches. We don't

> want these old caches to fade into the sunset.

>

> Given your caching name I was really disappointed there were no golden

> plates. I think Moroni was the "original" cacher. He left treasures for

> others to find.

Well, that is rather sad.

Sad that a cache that should have lasted years is now likely to be archived.

Sad that someone even hid a cache, but then dropped out without removing their container and archiving the listing themselves.

I think I will continue to describe the containers as what they are, and I will replace them as necessary, when necessary.

Unless you know where to get ammo cans they are usually a lot more than $5.

Not really, unless you're not willing to click your mouse a few times, or you're a complete noob with a PC. It's no secret. 5 minutes with Google, or perusing the links provided right here on Geocaching.com at "Shop For Gear" > "Click here" at bottom of page. Scroll down to Cachebox. Bingo!

.30 cal. ammo can - $4.49

http://www.cacheboxstore.com/ammocans/30cal.html

Not really, unless you're not willing to click your mouse a few times, or you're a complete noob with a PC. It's no secret. 5 minutes with Google, or perusing the links provided right here on Geocaching.com at "Shop For Gear" > "Click here" at bottom of page. Scroll down to Cachebox. Bingo!

Two points.

One, they are sold out

two, add the shipping cost.

Two points.

One, they are sold out

Two suggestions:

1. Be patient. If you want it today, you'll pay.

2. What "a lot more" is is subjective, I suppose. I don't mind paying a few bucks for shipping it to my door. If things were that tight for me I would be collecting leaves instead of geocaching :blink:

I've noticed a few descriptions have replaced the phrase "Cache is a 50 cal ammo can" with "Cache is about the size of a regular ammo can". Not that it will deter "AC thieves" when they actually reach the cache, but may prevent some from specifically hunting a cache for the sole purpose of snatching the AC.

Same as an answering machine. I've been told for years to not leave messages on them stating "we're not home right now" because burglars got clever and used that as an invite to a vacant house.

And in my area, the only time an ammo can comes for sale is either A, private owner (rare), B: rod and gun show (annual, and not cheap), or C: 30 minute drive north to the surplus store and either not in stock or more expensive than the gun shows.

Thanks, but I prefer to make my own.

Two points.

One, they are sold out

Two suggestions:

1. Be patient. If you want it today, you'll pay.

2. What "a lot more" is is subjective, I suppose. I don't mind paying a few bucks for shipping it to my door. If things were that tight for me I would be collecting leaves instead of geocaching :blink:

Try buying cans locally. You'll probably have a hard time getting them for less than $12. The shipping on ammo cans would be quite a bit. (Compared to the ammo can cost.)

I buy my .50 cal cans for $5. I do not have to pay shipping. I get .30 cal for $4. (Although it very well may be $3. I can't remember.) I don't just buy them at any local store. I have to go to military trade shows. I go anyway, so it's easy.

Edited by Knight2000

I recently had a 30cal ammo can in the field as a cache container get taken after over 6 years. It was very rusty and I was going to repaint it. At least they left the log and contents in the zip lock bag. I paid $10 for 5 cans back then ($2 each.) At the same store, which more recently had them for about $3, I just saw them for $12.95 each! What's up with this?

I replaced the cache with a LockNLock type container for now.

I have an ammo can that I have been experimenting with metal stamps, putting my name and cache number in 1/4 inch letters on the can and lid. Not sure if this will help. I have 5 other ammo cans as cache containers, and so far they are OK.

My point was this - If it is cachers stealing the cans then engraving an ID would probably deter them. Engraving won't do anything to stop a 10-18 year old boy.

I have only placed one ammo can. If anyone goes after it they will pay with time, sweat and probably a bit of blood to get to gz. Once there they must then manage to wrestle the thing out of the cluster of trunks while dealing with the heavy duty chain that is secured to the box on one end and an 8" lag screw that is anchored securely into a dead tree stump at the other. IF you bring some big bolt cutters then you might stand a chance....but that would also mean more time, sweat and blood. :blink:

I have only placed one ammo can. If anyone goes after it they will pay with time, sweat and probably a bit of blood to get to gz. Once there they must then manage to wrestle the thing out of the cluster of trunks while dealing with the heavy duty chain that is secured to the box on one end and an 8" lag screw that is anchored securely into a dead tree stump at the other. IF you bring some big bolt cutters then you might stand a chance....but that would also mean more time, sweat and blood. :blink:

I, too, have only placed one ammo can. It will take someone willing to lug a 90lb ammo can out of the area if they try to take it. Yes, it has 90lbs of concrete in it. It wasn't fun carting it to it's hiding spot and even if someone did steal it, it's all about worthless for much more than a geocache unless they removed the concrete. If they want to do all that for a $7 ammo can, they can have it.

After reading these ideas, my replacement can will have stamp ID in the metal, and I will ugly the outside. Maybe epoxy some rocks, glue some burlap. For inside, pour some concrete. This will discourage those who want a box to use for something else, and cachers who might want to use it as theirs.

After reading these ideas, my replacement can will have stamp ID in the metal, and I will ugly the outside. Maybe epoxy some rocks, glue some burlap. For inside, pour some concrete. This will discourage those who want a box to use for something else, and cachers who might want to use it as theirs.

Keep in mind, mine was 20 or so inches tall so there was a lot of room for concrete.

Keep in mind, mine was 20 or so inches tall so there was a lot of room for concrete.

I understand what you did for a large can, and it is a great idea.

For a smaller can, I figure 2 inches of concrete makes it less desirable to steal because of less room to store their stuff, heavy, and a lot of work to try to chip it out.

I love living 10 miles from an army base. There are five army surplus stores all trying to get your business, so prices are pretty low. .30 cals for $5, .50 cal for $7 I think and then they have these really big ones, like 3 .50 cal cans could fit in them. I dunno, kind of cool and gonna keep it in mind for a puzzle cache deep into the woods at some point.

But yeah, all that work for an ammo can, cool guys!

:anibad: IF I use an "ammo-can", you can be sure, it's going to require at least a 1.5-mile hike. Most folks will not walk that far, unless they are true Geocachers. Our society is becoming very lazy, just look at the average waist-line of Americans. Obesity, is fast becoming the leading cause of preventable death in America, second only to Heart disease.