Locked secure Cache with Combo posted in Cache description

mpw0718

Hello All,

I have to imagine this has been discussed before ... but after a quick search .. I didn't see it anywhere, so I thought I'd ask.

Has anyone thought of putting a combo lock on a geocahe to keep it safe from non-geocachers?

Specifically I'm thinking of a larger cache appropriate for TBs ... this would keep them safe.

Obviously the combo would be posted in the Cache description so people can access it ... the lock would simply be there to keep non geocachers out.

Thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Mike

Has anyone thought of putting a combo lock on a geocahe to keep it safe from non-geocachers?

Specifically I'm thinking of a larger cache appropriate for TBs ... this would keep them safe.

Obviously the combo would be posted in the Cache description so people can access it ... the lock would simply be there to keep non geocachers out.

I haven't seen this variation, but I have seen locked cache containers. The one's I've found have been mystery/puzzle caches, and obtaining the combination was the puzzle (or part of the puzzle). I'm aware of one traditional cache that used a locked container: the owner expected you to pick the lock and rated its difficulty as 5 stars because you needed "specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment". I've also heard of multi-caches where you obtained the combination at the other stages.

If you list it as a traditional, then you may get complaints from those who show up with just the coordinates, without the other information in the cache description. If you list it as a multi-cache or as a mystery/puzzle cache, then those who seek it should at least have read that cache description.

But I'm not sure how well the lock will protect the contents. The lock may just make muggles more curious about what's inside, and they may take the locked container home, or they may cut the lock. If the container is unlocked, then they can satisfy their curiosity without destroying the cache.

We have one like that in Brevard county. It's a TB exchange, listed as a Traditional, and the combo is on the cache page, in the hint. The lock serves two purposes: 1) to keep the container closed, 2) to tether it, via a braided steel cable, to a nearby tree.

I could see where it may be suggested by others (or a reviewer) to list it as a Mystery so folks will know to read the cache page before they go looking for it. Or as has been suggested in the thread...make it a 2 stage multi with the combo in the 1st stage.

I've seen several of these, including a couple with the standard combo lock (as you suggest, with the combination on the cache page) and one of those realtor's locking keyboxes.

Probably the best method - to avoid the irate cacher who didn't read the cache page - was one I found recently that had one of those changeable combo locks with letters on a cylinder lock rather than the usual numbers on a dial; you can make the combo anything you like. This cache was hid near a wastewater treatment plant, and the cache title included "POOH plant" - i.e., the distinctive word was in all caps in the title, etc. The combo for the lock was obviously programmed to P-O-O-H.

Probably the best method - to avoid the irate cacher who didn't read the cache page - was one I found recently that had one of those changeable combo locks with letters on a cylinder lock rather than the usual numbers on a dial; you can make the combo anything you like. This cache was hid near a wastewater treatment plant, and the cache title included "POOH plant" - i.e., the distinctive word was in all caps in the title, etc. The combo for the lock was obviously programmed to P-O-O-H.

That only helps if your GPS displays cache names, rather than GCID. :unsure:

However, it is a step in the right direction. :blink:

What a neat idea! :blink:

Although I do question one comment you made in that post, "The twist dial (school locker) padlocks don't weather well at all. The innards rust after a few months, so stay away from those."

I guess it depends where you are located. Here in Florida, which is very wet and humid all year long, I recently found a cache that had been out over 1 1/2 years with no maintenance (it had been archived over a year ago) and a lock like you mentioned worked just fine. I fully expected I would have to destroy the container to get it open...so I expected a rusted lock, as you claim. The cache was just laying next to a tree, in a lightly wooded area, nothing covering it. Perhaps the cache owner sprayed something into the lock when it was new? I doubt it, since they don't seem to be very interested in cache maintenance.

My favorite TB Hotel was protected exactly in that manner. The combination was listed on the cache page (a five letter word). Finders were encouraged to scrabble the combination and I assume that most did but perhaps some didn't and some local vandals have figured out the combo and discovered all the pretty things inside the cache.

Handfuls of coins and TBs are in the wind now along with two log books.

Sadly, now it's disabled until the CO figures out what he wants to do.

:blink:

I wouldn't be too concerned about "irate" cachers who didn't read the cache page if, indeed, the combo is listed there. That, to me, is a requirement for all caches.

I've seen several caches with locks, mostly combo locks. All of them required you to have read the cache page, either the description or the hint (or even the title).

I wouldn't be too concerned about "irate" cachers who didn't read the cache page if, indeed, the combo is listed there. That, to me, is a requirement for all caches.

I've seen several caches with locks, mostly combo locks. All of them required you to have read the cache page, either the description or the hint (or even the title).

I've been to several where I forgot to include the combination (solved as part of the puzzle) in my notes.

No problem, though; I just get to practice my "skillz." :blink:

There were several caches protected by padlocks, with the code in the cache description.

My question would be: as long as the cache is at the posted coordinates, would you list it as a traditional or a puzzle? More than half of the cachers prefer to list it as a puzzle, I'm inclined towards traditional.

If you list it as a traditional, you'll get complains from cachers searching without reading the description. If you list it as a puzzle, it will get fewer visits, and some cachers will search for the puzzle.

(Example I saw a few weeks ago: a puzzle cache (large container, 3 feet by 1.5 feet), where the difficulty is opening the container. It's listed as difficulty 5. It doesn't say the cache is at the posted coordinates, I was searching for the puzzle in the description).

There were several caches protected by padlocks, with the code in the cache description.

My question would be: as long as the cache is at the posted coordinates, would you list it as a traditional or a puzzle? More than half of the cachers prefer to list it as a puzzle, I'm inclined towards traditional.

If you list it as a traditional, you'll get complains from cachers searching without reading the description. If you list it as a puzzle, it will get fewer visits, and some cachers will search for the puzzle.

(Example I saw a few weeks ago: a puzzle cache (large container, 3 feet by 1.5 feet), where the difficulty is opening the container. It's listed as difficulty 5. It doesn't say the cache is at the posted coordinates, I was searching for the puzzle in the description).

IMO, if the cache is at the posted coordinates and the combo is openly listed in the cache page, then it's a traditional.

If you have to do some mental manipulation (other than reading which I consider to be a required TOTT) to figure out the combination, then it becomes an "Unknown".

If you have to go somewhere else to get the combination and it's straight-forward, then it's a multi.

If it's somewhere else AND you have to figure it out, then it's an "Unknown" and the cache page should indicate that it has multiple stages. Since we don't have a "Multi/Puzzle" type, I'd opt for the Unknown type.

If you have to do some mental manipulation (other than reading which I consider to be a required TOTT) to figure out the combination, then it becomes an "Unknown".

"Mental manipulation?"

Then the "mental manipulation" of an evil hide makes it default to an Unknown as well?

What about a cache at the posted coordinates, but 50' up a tree? ...with no lower limbs? ...no way to lower the cache?

Nah, I don't think so. If the cache is at the posted coordinates it's a traditional. Posting it as an Unknown is not wrong, but not necessary, either. A tricky traditional, if properly rated, can be as tricky as you please and that includes mental manipulation of a lock.

It might be a good idea to read all cache descriptions, but shouldn't be made mandatory before hunting. It's an option, maybe even a gamble, to not read the descriptions before hunting. (Until the new "Commando" cache type is released, that is.)

A tricky traditional, if properly rated, can be as tricky as you please and that includes mental manipulation of a lock.
I think that "mental manipulation of a lock" could easily qualify as 5-star difficulty for "specialized skills". I just don't know many people who can manipulate a lock mentally... :blink:

I meant "mental manipulation" to mean that you had to figure out the combination via some puzzle-like process. If the combo is right there on the cache page and you only have to set the dials on the lock, then that's not enough to raise it to "Puzzle Level". If someone doesn't read the page and then sits there and increments the dials from "000" all the way through to "999" (or at least until they "guess" the right one), that doesn't make it a puzzle.

Has anyone thought of putting a combo lock on a geocahe to keep it safe from non-geocachers? Specifically I'm thinking of a larger cache appropriate for TBs ... this would keep them safe.

I think putting a lock on a container specifically to keep non geocachers out wouldn't work and could increase the likleyhood that the cache will be damaged or stolen.

People are curious. If they find a container and open it and read the cache letter, they are likely to leave it alone (though some will take it). Lock that container and you will really pique their interest. They'll wonder that is so important in there that this thing is locked. Money? Jewelery? Important papers? I believe that significantly increases the chance that they will take it home to try to open it, or damage it at the site to attempt to gain access.

If you are locking a cache as part of a puzzle, that's one thing, but locking it to lock out non geocachers won't work.

Hello All,

I have to imagine this has been discussed before ... but after a quick search .. I didn't see it anywhere, so I thought I'd ask.

Thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Mike

One of the best caches we've ever found, with exactly this format. Many Coolcache caches have locks: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...05-f6bd8baa8a23