Can Long/Lat be added to Notification Emails?

Zeet959

This may be a Groundspeak thing.

I don't know if is possible, but can the coordinates of a cache be added to the notification emails about placed caches? This is why I ask. Yesterday I was at a scout meeting and I got an email/text on my phone telling me there was one placed. Great we can go after the meeting... but where? I had my cell and my Oregon, but no coordinates. So I go home and check where it is and it was back on the other side of town where I originally was. Grrr.

My hope is that the email/txt came in on my phone with the Long/Lat in it, ad it in the GPSr, and go straight to the cache! I could even get a few more FTF's!

Never gonna happen. They've said before that they don't want people running off for FTFs without reading the cache pages first.

Of course, the notifications do send you the GC #s, so you can get around that little snag by using Textmarks, but caveat emptor, you might be heading blindly into a 5-star-terrain or a mis-marked puzzle with nothing at the posted coords.

As mentioned, there's no technical reason the coords can't be in that email, but they won't include them because they want you to visit the cache page and see those neat little notes and warnings that people put on the pages to give you information about ground zero.

What most (or at least a lot) of people do is have an Internet plan on their phone (be a BlackBerry, windows phone, or even just a normal cell phone) and just use that to visit the geocaching.com website. If it's a "dumb phone", you may have better luck with wap.geocaching.com as it's stripped down.

Never gonna happen. They've said before that they don't want people running off for FTFs without reading the cache pages first.

That's how it should be.

A few months ago, several caches were published about 3AM, but they were clearly marked "not 24/7" and "night caching not recommended" which most people would interpret as "don't go there after dark." One local FTF hound who works nights got the notification, called home for the coordinates, and made the finds - without giving any consideration to those attributes.

When people do this, they risk giving all geocachers a bad name by being someplace they're not allowed to be "after hours."

That's how it should be.

A few months ago, several caches were published about 3AM, but they were clearly marked "not 24/7" and "night caching not recommended" which most people would interpret as "don't go there after dark." One local FTF hound who works nights got the notification, called home for the coordinates, and made the finds - without giving any consideration to those attributes.

When people do this, they risk giving all geocachers a bad name by being someplace they're not allowed to be "after hours."

EGGZACTICALLY!

Imagine going for the FTF, but instead spending six hours at the police station and getting a trespassing citation.