Updates for eTrex Venture/Legend/Vista Cx/HCx

allory

Cx Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:

Fix potential lock up when SD card installed.

Fix the contour data intermittently drawing over interstates of Topo Map.

Improve the blue shading color when using the setting 'Marine colors' in Daytime display mode.

Fix incorrect highlight index at unit field in 'Area Calculation' page after select reset in menu.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1417

HCx Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:

Fix potential lock up when SD card installed.

Fix the contour data intermittently drawing over interstates of Topo Map.

Improve the blue shading color when using the setting 'Marine colors' in Daytime display mode.

Correct the brightness can't move over 50% in eTrex Vista HCx.

Correct upside down direction of vertical speed.

Fix incorrect highlight index at unit field in 'Area Calculation' page after select reset in menu.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3643

Something worth noting is that when I updated my Venture Cx all the waypoint names got trashed. It was possible to delete them and reload from a MapSource backup, but would be rather annoying if they had not been backed up.

Venture.gifVista.gif

how did you or how do you get screen shots of your screen like that?

It hasn't been updated since 2005 and doesn't list quite a few things. It works fine on my Vista HCx. I suspect it will work on your Legend HCx also.

turns out i already installed it. i used it the other day for uploading a custom POI (earthcache icon), but have no idea how to take a screen shot of my legend HCx.

i'll look it it tomorrow.

thanks again.

Edited by brucered

thanks op. worked fine and thanks Allory, the image software also worked great.

too bad you can't take a screen shot out in the field then upload it. i know you can just take a pic of the screen with a phone or camera , but taking a screen shot like this would be much nicer.

Edited by brucered

Something worth noting is that when I updated my Venture Cx all the waypoint names got trashed. It was possible to delete them and reload from a MapSource backup, but would be rather annoying if they had not been backed up.

Venture.gifVista.gif

I upgraded my vista Cx yesterday and the same thing happened to me... With the difference that I don't have any backup :( I don't visit this forum too often, so I had missed this. Anyone who knows if it might help to "downgrade" it again to 3.10? Or is that just going to make it worse?

Something worth noting is that when I updated my Venture Cx all the waypoint names got trashed.

Based on this post I backed up my Venture Cx waypoints before updating. After updating, my names were trashed as well. Restoring from backup saved me a lot of grief. Thanks for the warning, allory :P

Something worth noting is that when I updated my Venture Cx all the waypoint names got trashed.

Based on this post I backed up my Venture Cx waypoints before updating. After updating, my names were trashed as well. Restoring from backup saved me a lot of grief. Thanks for the warning, allory :P

Do you notice a general decrease in screen brightness compared to earlier versions, like 2.8? My 9 month old Vista HCX with 2.8 is noticeably brighter than my son's brand new Vista HCX using version 3.1 even when set at the same slider level.

Based on this post I backed up my Venture Cx waypoints before updating. After updating, my names were trashed as well. Restoring from backup saved me a lot of grief. Thanks for the warning, allory :blink:

Do you notice a general decrease in screen brightness compared to earlier versions, like 2.8? My 9 month old Vista HCX with 2.8 is noticeably brighter than my son's brand new Vista HCX using version 3.1 even when set at the same slider level.

yes. i kind of noticed it today. i used to be able to put it at 50% in the car, now it's not bright enought

yes. i kind of noticed it today. i used to be able to put it at 50% in the car, now it's not bright enought

This is also happening on my Legend HCX but I think the overall operation may be a little different in that I think after you have set a brightness level the GPS automatically returns to the current brightness setting (in my case 50%) when a button is pressed which I don't remember happening before. In this scenario you have fewer keystrokes to come out of the no backlight setting which may be more useful in the field.

This is also happening on my Legend HCX but I think the overall operation may be a little different in that I think after you have set a brightness level the GPS automatically returns to the current brightness setting (in my case 50%) when a button is pressed which I don't remember happening before. In this scenario you have fewer keystrokes to come out of the no backlight setting which may be more useful in the field.

My Vista HCX has always worked that way. Set the brightness where you want, press the toggle to either side to clear that slider display, and then, whenever you want, on any screen, press any button and the back light comes on at the brightness level you had set previously. It's just that my son's HCX is not as bright as mine at any setting. I'm not upgrading to 3.x if this is a new "feature" to save battery life.

I just got a factory refurbished vista today! It seems like it's going to be awesome, there are a few features on it that are not on my venture that seems useful, in addition to the new tracks I can save.

Then I noticed the brightness not going up. I remembered reading something so I did a search here and found this thread.

So I updated and the brightness worked fine (although overall not as bright as my venture). Then I noticed it "wandering". It did not know I was still, the odometer kept increasing even though I was sitting still.

I kept reading this thread and saw the chipset update. I went back and checked that and it seems to have stopped the wandering.

I hope I am done for now. I would have thought it would have come all updated and all seeing as how it was factory refurbished but maybe this update was more recent than the refurbish.

It seems like every gps I have had has had a bug. I cannot turn "turn gps on" on my venture once I turn it off, it locks it up. That's not really a big deal though. My first one, a rino, had a couple of bad channels. That's when I swapped out for a non-radio gps. The second one started turning off by itself.

The venture hc has been pretty awesome in spite of that little glitch. Sometimes I cannot get my computer to see my garmin though. I have had to reinstall communicator a few times for some reason.

What an emotional rollarcoaster. I hope it's done now. I already know about the rubber band issue, I figure that's what mine was refurbished for.

I just realized something, I had recently updated my garmin nuvi 200 and it is not as bright either. I know because it was so bright I had to turn it down to 50% or lower.

I'll bet the new dimmness is intentional, for conserving battery power. I don't really need it on 100% bright, and the nuvi was ridiculous at 100%.

That's my theory anyway.