Feature Requests 8/27/09

Puppy Dawg

As of 8/27/09, here are changes I would like to see in the Geocaching.com website:

• Betafind Log Type - See this post for more info.
  • Street View in the google map - See this thread for more info.
  • Translator on cachepages - See this post for more info.
  • .1 mile circles on the google map - See this post for more info.
  • Finding Locationless Caches - See this post for more info.
  • See if a spot will work for a cache - See this post for more info.

Edited by Puppy Dawg

It would be nice, when scoping out cache locations, to see .1 mile circles around caches. Also make it an option that can be turned on and off.

Don't need this. You can do this yourself easily already.

1. Oh! I see a nice place for a cache. Mark a waypoint on GPSr. Get home, log onto geocaching.com, enter said coords into search and press go. Search shows all caches within 100 miles of entered coords. Do I see one within .1 of a mile? Yes...uh oh have to look for another spot. No, yipee I have a new cache location. TIme involved: 3 minutes tops on gc.com plus time it takes to drive from location.

2. I want to place a cache in xyz park. I load all caches within x miles of xyz park. I go to park look for a spot and search for nearest waypoints in GPSr. Do I see one within .1 of a mile? Yes...uh oh have to look for another spot. No, yipee I have a new cache location. Time involved: 3 minutes tops on gc.com plus time it takes to drive to xyz park.

Not sure what more you want besides geocaching.com telling you where to place a cache.

How about something where you plug in coordinates, and the site tells you if it is less or more than .1 mile from the nearest final/stage of a multi/cache/whatever.

Your local cache reviewer can help you here. There are reasons why you can't do this yourself.

As of 8/27/09, here are changes I would like to see in the Geocaching.com website:

Since you posted links to already open threads...go there and look for the answers. You must be bored again. Oh wait I must be as well to answer all this crap. Peace out, I'm off to bed :unsure:

Locationless caches have been submitted, they have been found. Why can't we go find them like we can find virtuals and webcams?

Thought you already could, they already have been found so I guess you can do the same.

Locationless caches were locked down, not grandfathered.

It would be nice, when scoping out cache locations, to see .1 mile circles around caches. Also make it an option that can be turned on and off.
That would be really useful for solving this puzzle cache, especially if the coordinates for puzzles and multi-caches could be corrected by the user. But otherwise, no. I don't think an area really needs another cache if the only way to find a spot that isn't within 528' of an existing cache is to draw circles around all the existing caches and look for gaps between the circles. Go find a less saturated place to hide your cache instead.

How about something where you plug in coordinates, and the site tells you if it is less or more than .1 mile from the nearest final/stage of a multi/cache/whatever.
An automated tool like this would be used to brute-force puzzles. It's one thing if the puzzle is designed for brute-forcing (like the one above), but many puzzle owners don't want their puzzles brute-forced. If you've got a spot that you want to verify before you invest too much time and effort, then send your local reviewer a message with your proposed coordinates. They'll help you.

Lets keep these lists short. What would you like to see unchanged at GC.com?

An automated tool like this would be used to brute-force puzzles. It's one thing if the puzzle is designed for brute-forcing (like the one above), but many puzzle owners don't want their puzzles brute-forced. If you've got a spot that you want to verify before you invest too much time and effort, then send your local reviewer a message with your proposed coordinates. They'll help you.

Or just go out and find those caches that are near your proposed site. That will avoid 99% of the encroachment problems.

Hi there!

Here's my sugestion to the "language issues":

Is it possible to "select" which language have we wrote the cache page?

Like we have some drop box to select container size, we woulf found 2 or 3 to select in which language it's the information of the cache available.

The language translator will only help if you have a internet conection.

If this idea, we could do PQs where we select that, for example, are written also in english.

Imagine...

You go on holidays. You donwload a PQ of the area where you will be. You start geocaching. You open the cache page ( on your PDA, whatever...) and it's written in something you don't understand. If, when you do your PQs, you could choose wich language they are written, it would help a lot!

It would also make more page caches to be written in more languages.

What do you think?

João Lopes aka Lopesco

Hi there!

Here's my sugestion to the "language issues":

Is it possible to "select" which language have we wrote the cache page?

Like we have some drop box to select container size, we woulf found 2 or 3 to select in which language it's the information of the cache available.

The language translator will only help if you have a internet conection.

If this idea, we could do PQs where we select that, for example, are written also in english.

Imagine...

You go on holidays. You donwload a PQ of the area where you will be. You start geocaching. You open the cache page ( on your PDA, whatever...) and it's written in something you don't understand. If, when you do your PQs, you could choose wich language they are written, it would help a lot!

It would also make more page caches to be written in more languages.

What do you think?

João Lopes aka Lopesco

There's an old saying that says 2when in Rome do as the Romans do"

If you can't be bothered to learn a foriegn language and carry a dictionary to help you out it's best to stay at home.

I'm brand new to the whole geocaching thing. Just recently got my palm pre up and running gps and am excited to go out and find some caches. I was hoping they would add medals or ribbons to post on your profile page. For example, a medal with a "10" on it to signify that you found 10 caches, or a "FTF" for if you were the first to find a cache. Just something i though would be cool. The possibilities are endless.

I'm brand new to the whole geocaching thing. Just recently got my palm pre up and running gps and am excited to go out and find some caches. I was hoping they would add medals or ribbons to post on your profile page. For example, a medal with a "10" on it to signify that you found 10 caches, or a "FTF" for if you were the first to find a cache. Just something i though would be cool. The possibilities are endless.

Nah - no tangible rewards, please. Only lead to people falsifying their find count to get the rewards.

It's not a competition.