Caching Ban - SC Wildlife Management Areas and Heritage Preserves

gpsfun

I need an English lesson.

For some reason I'm now reading the following with a different meaning:

© The following acts or conduct are prohibited and shall be unlawful on all wildlife management areas, heritage preserves, and all other lands owned by the department; provided, however, the department may promulgate regulations allowing any of the acts or conduct by prescribing acceptable times, locations, means, and other appropriate restrictions not inconsistent with the protection, preservation, operation, maintenance, and use of such lands:

I made the important part bold and italicized an important word.

Before I was reading that statement as it included all lands under the WMA program and all heritage preserve lands regardless of who owned it. Now, I'm picking up on the "other" as meaning only the WMA and heritage preserve land that is owned by the department.

My question is by reading the statement with full consideration of the commas and included words mean that only the lands owned by the SCDNR is affected regardless of if it part of the WMA program or a heritage preserve program.

The way I was reading it before caused a great deal of alarm as it meant the actual land owners permission was trumped by this regulation. Now, reading it in the proper light it now makes more sense as the majority of our legislators are very cognizant of land owner rights.

The question means massive amounts of land is still open in the Francis Marion Nation Forest. Yea! ...and I archived some caches for no reason. Boo!

Oh, and what's a "distracter?" Littering the trail? Where's the self-policing that we did during the last go-round?

My guess is that the distractors are those bothersome, highly visible, unauthorized-by-cache-owner, "decoys" that point the way to the cache. They don't discriminate between cacher and muggle, a "here I am" for all to see. I have seen them mostly in Union County, but they are all over the state. A typical one is a camouflaged plastic bottle hanging by a string, containing a popsickle stick that says "you're close." I believe this encourages the muggle to find whatever it is that they're close to, and help themselves to it. I also believe they've resulted in the loss of a couple of my caches.

There are people working on this in the background in a mutually respectful manner, which has the most potential for positive results.

The torches and pitchforks approach will guarantee negative results.

It will be best for us to choose carefully.

So, what was the end result, can we or, can we not place caches in the Francis Marion Forest? Any definate answers from SCDNR?

There are people working on this in the background in a mutually respectful manner, which has the most potential for positive results.

The torches and pitchforks approach will guarantee negative results.

It will be best for us to choose carefully.

So, what was the end result, can we or, can we not place caches in the Francis Marion Forest? Any definate answers from SCDNR?