Cache on School grounds

Pokerfart

I believe you will need to provide specific written permission from the school, school board, land owner, etc., to the reviewer. That may or may not be enough to get your cache published. Best bet would be to contact your reviewer directly via their geocaching profile and work out the details.

edit for spelling

Edited by WRASTRO

In general I would say that it is not a good idea to hide a cache on school grounds even with permission(there are always exceptions). Other cachers may get the idea that it is acceptable, cachers may be looked at very suspiciously (do you want a 43 year old fat man with electronics wondering around your kids elementry school??) and other such problems.

It seems there are some caches on some different school disctrits but not on others.

I don't see any in my area - I was going to go ask the school board to see if they have any issues.

What's the normal for schools?

Schools are generally off limits, but if you have express, written permission from the school board, it is likely to be published. Make sure they are aware that if they approve it "43 year old fat men" might be wandering around school grounds while school is in session.

I laugh every time I get a notification with your name pokerfart!

There is a cache in our area that is at a school. I am pretty sure it is a mystery cache.

Quite a few locals think that caches within 1/10 of a mile of school grounds shouldn't be published. Personally, I like 'em all.

I'd start with the principal before the school board. Sounds like way too much red tape for me!

There is a cache near my house that I grabbed a couple weeks ago. Didn't really look much, but showed up, read the description, said the cache was on property, but outside fence and to only go after hours. I found the cache, signed log, looked at the FTF and saw it was signed XX-XX-2004. So it had been there that long with no issues. You can check out the description here: GCK9ZP

My mom placed a HS-PTC series in our town 2 years ago. (now adopted by me)

She personally visited every principal and got permission from the principals of each school.

They have been a big hit around here for finders.

Prairie Ho!

J.F.K (just for kicks)

Jefferson the Polymath

George's Alma Mater?

I do believe that elementary schools should be off limits however. I don't have elementary aged kids anymore, but if I did I would not want strangers wandering around near my kids' school.

I have found published caches on school grounds AND playgrounds. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with it if it is done with permission and respectfully. Also, I think cachers who are trying to find these caches also need to be respectful in the way they search for them. Personally, I am a parent of a 4 year old and I am not so paranoid to automatically assume every adult who passes through a park/playground is "dangerous". I keep my son close enough by me and we have also taught him to be careful (but not rude).

I think it's really a risk for you. You can go for it, but it could be gone quick or last a long time. Be prepared for it to get muggled or to have someone not follow the "rules" and have it get removed. I would say to let people grab this when children are not present and try to keep it so people aren't running around school grounds. Are there woods or somewhere near the front gates you can hide this so people aren't wandering around?

...What's the normal for schools?

Normal is "No caches on school grounds". Kids find them and the responce can be very disruptive in that they shut down the shcool while the cache is evaluated as a potential terrorist device.

However the school itself, can give a cacher permission and often teachers may do a cache as part of a class project.

There are enough places to put caches - why on earth would you want to put one in or near a school?
One school cache I found was a multi-cache that highlighted murals on the school walls that were painted by students. Visitors were welcomed and encouraged during hours when school was not in session, and the cache was endorsed by the school administration.