Lamppost Caches

23below

I'm a worry wort. Would it be safe?

I guess anything is possible, but I can't recall ever hearing about, or hearing from a cacher that's been zapped reaching under a lamp post skirt. Most that I've looked under did not give access to the wiring.

Lamp skirts I've found so far, no. However, I've found a couple of hides where the cache is inside the wiring panel / cavity (or whatever you call it) that the city somehow neglected to cover up. Right beside the wires.

As for safe...

I seem to recall an incident where someone (non geocacher) touching a lamp post when walking past got electrocuted and died because of a wiring fault.

I also recall incidents where someone driving on the freeway was killed by a flying piece of concrete caused by a car travelling in the opposite direction hitting the median.

Then there's that guy in New York (Manhattan?) who died when he's walking along and a steam pipe under him exploded.

I guess what I'm saying is that fate's a, erm, female dog (keeping this family friendly).

I'm a worry wort. Would it be safe?
I guess anything is possible, but I can't recall ever hearing about, or hearing from a cacher that's been zapped reaching under a lamp post skirt. Most that I've looked under did not give access to the wiring.
Lamp skirts I've found so far, no. However, I've found a couple of hides where the cache is inside the wiring panel / cavity (or whatever you call it) that the city somehow neglected to cover up. Right beside the wires.

As for safe...

I seem to recall an incident where someone (non geocacher) touching a lamp post when walking past got electrocuted and died because of a wiring fault.

I also recall incidents where someone driving on the freeway was killed by a flying piece of concrete caused by a car travelling in the opposite direction hitting the median.

Then there's that guy in New York (Manhattan?) who died when he's walking along and a steam pipe under him exploded.

I guess what I'm saying is that fate's a, erm, female dog (keeping this family friendly).

Yep, you're definitely more likely to get seriously hurt driving your car into the parking lot than you are actually getting the LPC and putting it back.

I've found a few near where I live that were either easily predictable, had some history, or had some redeeming value(such as in an interesting area where the park concert schedual was posted with a good wifi signal from the library nearby)

The area really isn't saturated.

However while caching in another state, I ran into LPC/GR geospam everywhere, and all by the same hiders which was unexpected and a little annoying.

The first one I found in 2005 was a magnetically attached plate painted to match the post, which I thought was clever and I recall lifting the skirt at first and thinking "now there is a good spot"...

:blink:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

While I do fully understand ALOT of people are getting BORED of LPC's, I have set a goal for myself. To make an LPC alot more interesting and even more DIFFICULT to find.

My goal is to actually find a way to get a Difficulty 5 on a LPC.

I have one LPC mult-cache that I beleive is quite different than most other LPC's. I also have 3 more on the way that are NOT going to be your typical LPC either. I am getting ready to publish a difficulty 2 LPC here pretty soon. With a terrain of 2 as well.

My current multi-cache LPC is GC1W1GN "Musical Lamposts". See what you think. :blink: Some like it anyways. LOL

I like some LPC's as they provide a quite entertainment value when I have a few extra minutes to spare. It gives me soemthing to fill up those extra minutes.

TGC

Really . . . they are not (usually) creative, always (almost) lame hides and offer no (often) challenge at all, except hiding from security persons cruising parking lots.

I have logged finds on hundreds of them, maybe thousands . . . you are there, hundreds of miles from home on a cache run - you get all that the area has to offer, including LPC hides - even if you are as tired of them as I am, you log the finds and move on to the next hide(s).

I have even hidden one (1) and it seems to be enjoyed by every finder, according to their online logs.

So, they are fine for the game . . . hunt them or not, enjoy the game as YOU want to but do be surprized if the LPC is a challenge and enjoy, as they can be, sometimes.

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

I've got this one in the works already.

My wife bought me a couple lamp posts.

I hope to place one on an island I know of.

Than I'll tether an ammo can to the base.

I'm thinking I'll put the ammo can in a 5 gallon bucket.

Paint the bucket black & grey.

Tell folks "You seek a film can at a lamp post".

While I do fully understand ALOT of people are getting BORED of LPC's, I have set a goal for myself. To make an LPC alot more interesting and even more DIFFICULT to find.

I have one LPC mult-cache that I beleive is quite different than most other LPC's. I also have 3 more on the way that are NOT going to be your typical LPC either. I am getting ready to publish a difficulty 2 LPC here pretty soon. With a terrain of 2 as well.

My current multi-cache LPC is GC1W1GN "Musical Lamposts". See what you think. :P Some like it anyways. LOL

I like some LPC's as they provide a quite entertainment value when I have a few extra minutes to spare. It gives me soemthing to fill up those extra minutes.

TGC

Looks like H2Guy already beat you to it. You could learn a lot from his hides.