Lamppost Caches

23below

Nope, it is just you.

(by the way, if you are approaching a cache, and the GPSr needle is pointing to the middle of a parking lot, you may be hunting a LPC. Push the left pedal there in the car, turn away, and go somwhere else...)

So you want to stop for the cache?????? :blink:

First off, I love them. Next, WHY is it called a "Lamp Post Cache?" I have a LAMP on my end table next to my recliner. I have a Street Light on my property and the local malls have Parking Lot Lights. I like to call them "Post Skirts". That way, it does not matter what is at the top of the post, it may be a light, it may be a sign or it may even be an antennae.

So keep hiding those PS caches, I love them. Most of the caches in my area require a 3 hour drive, a 4 hour hike and two days.

Don't like LPC's?

Don't go after them.

:blink:

Lamppost Caches, Is anyone getting tired of finding these?

To those of you who think we should just not go after them. Well DUH! The question the OP asked is if anyone was tired of finding them. Some of us ARE tired of them. We agreed with the OP that we were. Is there a reason we should not discuss our opinions? Does no longer hunting them invalidate our opinions of the little wastes of space?

I only found my first ones very recently, when I made a trip to The States. There was one over here, in Okinawa, but I wouldn't really consider it to be an LPS, or whatever you want to call it this week.

The one's that I found in The States were pretty boring. There were no real points of interest that they brought me to, and no nice views, etc. They were just film canisters that were there for the sake of being there.

I'd say that I'm already tired of finding them, as long as they all have as much significance as the few that I've found so far. With virts gone the way of the dodo, perhaps I'd like some LPSs that were in the parking lot of a neat place to visit...Wally world doesn't count!

It all depends on your point of view, your attitude, your internal motivation, your outlook, your mindset ... your particular brand of enthusiasm.

As for me, I apparently suffer from a mental defect that allows me to enjoy these hides. As it is a defect that apparently makes me happier than most cachers, I am not interested in a cure.

I don’t actually prefer them, you understand. I read descriptions before I hunt, and if forced to choose between a cache that is obviously (sorry, briansnat) a skirt-lifter and one that sounds more interesting, I will always choose the latter. But when I have a little free time available for caching, and when a skirt-lifter is the only thing available ... well, I’m there.

Yes, the locations tend to be lame, but location isn’t the only thing that keeps me caching. I like to be in on the secret. I like to play with my GPS. I like to have a motivation to get me outside and walking. I like to have another find to log. And, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread: you never really know for certain what you’re getting into. Some of the most lame-sounding hides have proven to be surprisingly interesting and fun once I got there. Not knowing which ones will be the rare-yet-pleasant surprises is a big plus for me. I suppose it’s the same kind of intermittent gratification that addicts some people to gambling.

Even without the need to run up one’s numbers, there are lots of ways to enjoy LPC hides.

Is it time to drag out my old kitsch thread?

(Oops. I guess I just did. :blink: )

Don't like LPC's?

Don't go after them.

How do you know it's an LPC unless you've gone after it?

You already know the answer to that question.

I roll my eyes at you.

I do? Please remind me. I do know ways to determine if there is a good chance its an LPC, but I've yet to find a way that will tell me with certainty until I get there.

I've found some outstanding caches that would have on the surface appeared to be run of them mill LPCs using the methods I'm aware of.

Maybe you are aware of methods that I don't know about. If so please explain them to me. I'm eager to learn.

Edited by briansnat

I'm new to this and have avoided some of those already. Just not worth waiting for muggles to go away. However, I would hit one if I were to go out and not nail down more difficult ones just to get the satisfaction of finding something on any particular excursion. I don't like going out and coming back empty handed.

Don't like LPC's?

Don't go after them.

I roll my eyes at you.

I do? Please remind me. I do know ways to determine if there is a good chance its an LPC, but I've yet to find a way that will tell me with certainty until I get there.

I've found some outstanding caches that would have on the surface appeared to be run of them mill LPCs using the methods I'm aware of.

Maybe you are aware of methods that I don't know about. If so please explain them to me. I'm eager to learn.

I'd like to know too.

I do know ways to determine if there is a good chance its an LPC, but I've yet to find a way that will tell me with certainty until I get there.

You just answered your own question.

Myself, I find the lack of certainty to be a plus. Makes the hobby more interesting.

If certainty is a thing you absolutely require out of this hobby, then you are in the wrong hobby.

First off, I love them. Next, WHY is it called a "Lamp Post Cache?" I have a LAMP on my end table next to my recliner. I have a Street Light on my property and the local malls have Parking Lot Lights. I like to call them "Post Skirts". That way, it does not matter what is at the top of the post, it may be a light, it may be a sign or it may even be an antennae.

So keep hiding those PS caches, I love them. Most of the caches in my area require a 3 hour drive, a 4 hour hike and two days.

I find this hard to believe! 3 hour drive?? Are you saying most caches in your area aren't actually in your area? Are you saying most caches out there are closer to Vegas than you?

I like to call them "Post Skirts".

So keep hiding those PS caches

I think we should adopt InMountains' moniker for these caches.

PS just seems to describe the essence of them so well.

Especially if we toss the letter "O" in there somewhere. :cry:

The O really adds to the designation. :)

I've been lucky around my area because the local LPC cache hider always adds LPC in the name. This make the job of placing them on my ignore list go even smoother. :blink:

Don't like LPC's?

Don't go after them.

I do? Please remind me. ... Maybe you are aware of methods that I don't know about. If so please explain them to me. I'm eager to learn.

I'd like to know too.

There are many methods which have been suggested repeatedly over the years – every Tuesday when this topic comes back up, in fact – but two of the easiest and most commonly suggested methods are:

(1) Read the description. A large percentage of LPCs reveal themselves as LPCs in their description.

(2) If one doesn’t care to take the time to read descriptions, then one simply filters out all the caches with both one-star terrain and one-star difficulty. This almost always leaves one with more than enough cache-hunting candidates for a full, fun day of (mostly) disappointment-free caching. If one exhausts that list and one still wants more non-LPC caches, then one simply returns back to the previously filtered-out one-stars, and starts reading descriptions.

There are other similar methods available, most of which are also quite effective. Hopefully someone will post some of them.

Especially if we toss the letter "O" in there somewhere. :)

The O really adds to the designation. :blink:

Here come the insults and the accompanying high-fives. Right on schedule.

In my observations these boorish insults have no effect on the insultees – those who enjoy hiding and/or finding these caches. They just keep right on having a good time, oblivious to the rudeness.

It would seem, then, that the only meaningful purpose of the insults is to make the apparently insecure insulters themselves feel more superior.

I do know ways to determine if there is a good chance its an LPC, but I've yet to find a way that will tell me with certainty until I get there.

Myself, I find the lack of certainty to be a plus. Makes the hobby more interesting.

If certainty is a thing you absolutely require out of this hobby, then you are in the wrong hobby.

In my limited time I'd like to be able to concentrate on the kinds of caches I like. Some of these caches happen to be in parking lots. There is no good way to tell whether it's a cache that I would enjoy until I get there, which is why the hackneyed "if you don't like them, don't hunt them" is so absurd.

I've reached ground zero and turned around many times when I realized that it was just another LPC, but I've already wasted my gas and time on it. I can't get that back. I've also reached ground zero and said "wow, I can't believe this cool thing is here, in a parking lot no less". That's precisely the reason I'm in this sport, to find those kinds of spots.

The problem I have is that people keep throwing more and more sand in the pan which makes finding the gold nuggets more of a chore.

Unfortunately any time someone ventures into this forum to encourage more gold and less sand in stream the Thinkpol finds it necessary to jump into the discussion.

LPC's are great for beginners.

Really? I don't understand how.

I have a couple of beginner caches. Neither are micros. Both are regulars. Being so allows a beginner to understand what a "real" geocache is. Trinkets, a decent sized logbook, trackables, etc.

Funny that I had been geocaching a while before I found my first LPC. When I did I didn't have any sort of revelation of "Wow! Why haven't I been finding these all along. What a wonderful addition to the hobby!"

I'll hunt everything locally. Beyond that I filter all micros simply because there are so few worth my time as most are LPCs or similar. I cache for an adventure, not a smilie. The majority of today's micros don't provide adventure, only the smilie.

In my limited time I'd like to be able to concentrate on the kinds of caches I like. Some of these caches happen to be in parking lots. There is no good way to tell whether it's a cache that I would enjoy until I get there, which is why the hackneyed "if you don't like them, don't hunt them" is so absurd.

It’s not "hackneyed." It’s shorthand.

It assumes you understand that there might be an iota of homework involved when you take more responsibility for your own entertainment. It also assumes you understand that there are never any guarantees in this hobby.

I've reached ground zero and turned around many times when I realized that it was just another LPC, but I've already wasted my gas and time on it. I can't get that back.

Understandable.

If such waste bothers you, then that’s exactly why you should seriously consider filtering out all the 1/1 hides.

I've also reached ground zero and said "wow, I can't believe this cool thing is here, in a parking lot no less". That's precisely the reason I'm in this sport, to find those kinds of spots.

Also understandable.

... which is precisely why the second step of method number (2) above is generally worthwhile – assuming you ever run out of non-1/1s to hunt, that is. Online logs are a very reliable indicator as to the entertainment value of a given cache. Bookmark lists are excellent as well.

The problem I have is that people keep throwing more and more sand in the pan which makes finding the gold nuggets more of a chore.

Then stop panning for gold in that particular creek! You have the power to tweak the creek. Filter out the 1/1s (or use whatever filter works best for you), and you leave yourself with a far richer vein from which to mine. Take responsibility for your own entertainment. Stop leaving it to others!

Certainty is something, however, that is simply not available in Geocaching. To extend your metaphor: If solid-gold certainty at averting disappointment is what you require from your entertainment, then what you really want is not a panning-for-gold outing at all, but a jewelry store.

Unfortunately any time someone ventures into this forum to encourage more gold and less sand in stream the Thinkpol finds it necessary to jump into the discussion.

Irrelevant. You weren’t encouraging or discouraging anything with your post. You were merely challenging the suggestion that a cacher has any choice whether to hunt LPCs.

And by the way: just because someone posts an opinion that you think disagrees with yours ... that makes them the Thought Police? I thought Moderators were supposed to set a good example, and not attack other people personally.

There are other similar methods available, most of which are also quite effective. Hopefully someone will post some of them.

I knew someone would:

I'll hunt everything locally. Beyond that I filter all micros simply because there are so few worth my time as most are LPCs or similar. I cache for an adventure, not a smilie. The majority of today's micros don't provide adventure for me, only the smilie.

Excellent! (After I fixed it for you, that is.) This simple method appears to be very effective for you.

One can filter out all the 1/1s. Or one can filter out all the micros. Or one can even do both. There are many, many other tools available.

CoyoteRed generally dislikes certain caches, therefore he generally doesn't hunt them. Huzzah!

It's not a difficult concept.

I knew someone would:

I'll hunt everything locally. Beyond that I filter all micros simply because there are so few worth my time as most are LPCs or similar. I cache for an adventure, not a smilie. The majority of today's micros don't provide adventure for me, only the smilie.

Excellent! (After I fixed it for you, that is.) This simple method appears to be very effective for you.

One can filter out all the 1/1s. Or one can filter out all the micros. Or one can even do both. There are many, many other tools available.

CoyoteRed generally dislikes certain caches, therefore he generally doesn't hunt them. Huzzah!

Not a difficult concept, but a seriously flawed one.

It's like throwing the maggots out with the rotten meat. Hmmm, that doesn't quite work. It's like throwing the cat out with the dirty litter. Hhmmm, not such a bad idea. It's like throwing the fish fillet out with the guts. Not quite there. I got it! It's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

My all time favorites list includes a number off 1/1s. I love caches at historic sites and many of these are 1/1s and a lot of them are micros. I enjoy urban and suburban caching and a lot of these are 1/1 micros. Nope, doesn't work very well. Try again.

It all depends on your point of view, your attitude, your internal motivation, your outlook, your mindset ... your particular brand of enthusiasm.

As for me, I apparently suffer from a mental defect that allows me to enjoy these hides. As it is a defect that apparently makes me happier than most cachers, I am not interested in a cure.

I don’t actually prefer them, you understand. I read descriptions before I hunt, and if forced to choose between a cache that is obviously (sorry, briansnat) a skirt-lifter and one that sounds more interesting, I will always choose the latter. But when I have a little free time available for caching, and when a skirt-lifter is the only thing available ... well, I’m there.

Yes, the locations tend to be lame, but location isn’t the only thing that keeps me caching. I like to be in on the secret. I like to play with my GPS. I like to have a motivation to get me outside and walking. I like to have another find to log. And, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread: you never really know for certain what you’re getting into. Some of the most lame-sounding hides have proven to be surprisingly interesting and fun once I got there. Not knowing which ones will be the rare-yet-pleasant surprises is a big plus for me. I suppose it’s the same kind of intermittent gratification that addicts some people to gambling.

Even without the need to run up one’s numbers, there are lots of ways to enjoy LPC hides.

Is it time to drag out my old kitsch thread?

(Oops. I guess I just did. :blink: )

My philosophy exactly, with the bolded part being a little more fun to me in some ways.

I enjoy urban and suburban caching and a lot of these are 1/1 micros. Nope, doesn't work very well. Try again.
Still waiting for the PQ filter for "Caches That Briansnat Likes" so you don't have to put forth any effort on your own, and so you can keep putting the responsibility of your entertainment on others eh?

Keep waiting for it.... :blink:

I knew someone would:

Not a difficult concept, but a seriously flawed one.

It's like throwing the maggots out with the rotten meat. Hmmm, that doesn't quite work. It's like throwing the cat out with the dirty litter. Hhmmm, not such a bad idea. It's like throwing the fish fillet out with the guts. Not quite there. I got it! It's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

My all time favorites list includes a number off 1/1s. I love caches at historic sites and many of these are 1/1s and a lot of them are micros. I enjoy urban and suburban caching and a lot of these are 1/1 micros. Nope, doesn't work very well. Try again.

You are a prospector. You enjoy panning for gold.

You’ve got two creeks to choose from. One is FAR more productive than the other at yielding the kinds of nuggets and flakes you prefer. If you limit your entire prospecting career to that creek you are all but guaranteed that you will never be disappointed. Yet the other creek is not 100% sand. It yields the rare gem, gems which you will indeed miss if you limit yourself to the productive creek.

You are visibly, deeply unsatisfied with your experiences at the second creek. Yet you can’t stand not to pan there, afraid of missing out.

So who’s to blame here? The rest of us appear to be able to handle this dilemma without much trouble. Even CoyoteRed seems to have it nailed.

It has been explained to you so many times, by so many people, in so many ways. I only hope that someday it will click in your head. I truly want you to enjoy this hobby as much as I do.

What part of "there are no guarantees of certainty in Geocaching" do you not understand? Why do you insist that every conceivable subset of caches be not only pleasing, but conveniently pleasing, to you? Why can’t you be happy with the available (and huge) subsets you obviously prefer, and then pick through the others only when (if) you exhaust the good stuff?

Have you listened to yourself? You are asking your fellow participants – not just some, but all of them – to abandon the "hide what you enjoy finding" philosophy in favor of a "hide what Briansnat enjoys finding" philosophy. Nope, doesn't work very well. Try again.

Still waiting for the PQ filter for "Caches That Briansnat Likes" so you don't have to put forth any effort on your own, and so you can keep putting the responsibility of your entertainment on others eh?

Keep waiting for it.... :blink:

Time to revive my idea of a geocaching concierge service, where a pre-screened list of caches that you will like will be handed to you for a fee. Comes with PAF service in case you can't find it as well.

Heck, for an additional fee, the service will go out and sign the log for you, saving you the trouble.

Especially if we toss the letter "O" in there somewhere. :)

The O really adds to the designation. :blink:

Here come the insults and the accompanying high-fives. Right on schedule.

In my observations these boorish insults have no effect on the insultees – those who enjoy hiding and/or finding these caches. They just keep right on having a good time, oblivious to the rudeness.

It would seem, then, that the only meaningful purpose of the insults is to make the apparently insecure insulters themselves feel more superior.

Before you start the "holier than though" garbage realize that I was only laughing at the designation. It was a funny play on words. Thanks to people like you, and Snoogans, I realized a few years back that the key to my geo-happiness is to avoid caches I dislike (which include 90% of park & grabs). Surely it is still ok to laugh at satire without being accused of being an insultor, or being boorish.

Of everything I've learned in this forum one of the biggest things is that I despise an analogy.

Yeah, you're in a creek and there are LPCs. There are a bunch of great caches but you keep coming across LPCs. You want to find a way to keep coming across LPCs while searching for caches, in a creek. :blink:

Edit: clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

Of everything I've learned in this forum one of the biggest things is that I despise an analogy.

That’s a new one. :blink:

Of everything I've learned in this forum, one of the biggest is that it doesn’t matter what a person posts; it is going to irritate somebody, somewhere. Thank you for reminding me of that.

It is a relevant observation because it's kinda like caches: No matter what kind of cache one hides and submits, it is bound to annoy someone – so the best advice for all cache hiders is to therefore stop worrying about pleasing everyone and simply hide what you think you would like to find.

(Oops ... was that another analogy?)

That’s a new one. :blink:

Of everything I've learned in this forum, one of the biggest is that it doesn’t matter what a person posts; it is going to irritate somebody, somewhere. Thank you for reminding me of that.

It is a relevant observation because it's kinda like caches: No matter what kind of cache one hides and submits, it is bound to annoy someone – so the best advice for all cache hiders is to therefore stop worrying about pleasing everyone and simply hide what you think you would like to find.

Nope, that's a comparison. And it reflects your personal opinion which I would rather read even if I didn't fully agree with it.

That’s a new one. :(

Nope, that's a comparison. And it reflects your personal opinion which I would rather read even if I didn't fully agree with it.

So we’re splitting hairs over definitions now instead of debating the relevant subject? In that case, I think you meant to say "metaphor" instead of "analogy" in your post about my post. They are both forms of "comparison."

You know what I’m thinking? I’m thinking – and I’m biased here, of course, but please just hear me out – I'm thinking that my last couple posts in this exchange have been far more relevant and constructive to this thread than your last couple of posts.

If you disagree, then please show me how posting strange whines about analogies and/or splitting hairs about definitions is either relevant or constructive to the discussion about whether LPCs are annoying.

I'm thinking that my last couple posts in this exchange have been far more relevant and constructive to this thread than your last couple of posts.

You are correct so let me take it off-line or to the off-topic forum. I'm going to go play Horse with my youngest first and I'll pick this up later.

One problem is that analogy is often the best way to explain your position to some one else. Sure it's annoying when the the other side attacks your analogy rather than your argument, but than just means you have to refine your analogy a bit.

I still think that the best analogy for LPC threads is the ice cream analogy. The Signal eating ice cream icon was developed during a thread on LPCs (or maybe it was micros) that had gone so far off topic that people were posting their favorite flavor of ice cream. But many people probably realized at about that time that this was a perfect analogy for when some complains there a too many caches of some kind that they don't like. Nobody complains there is too much vanilla ice cream. While some people consider vanilla a bit lame when you compared to their favorite flavor, they know that vanilla always shows up at the top of lists of favorite ice cream flavors. If there are a lot of LPC caches being hidden and lots of people who seem to enjoy finding them, why is it so hard to understand that just because you don't like this type of cache or because you think there too many of these doesn't mean that their prevalence isn't an indication that they are popular among many cachers - just like vanilla ice cream is popular.

Now the ice cream analogy may fall apart when we discuss methods to avoid LPCs so you will enjoy more of the cache you do find. briansnat once complained that ice cream is usually labeled so you know whether you are getting vanilla, chocolate, or some other flavor. One could argue that most caches are labeled as well. You often can tell an LPC by reading the description and looking at the the logs. A cache with a lot of "TFTC" or "Thanks for the easy hide" are not going to be the nuggets that briansnat keeps hoping to find when he pulls into a Walmart parking lot. If he would take a look at the cache page he may still find a few LPCs where the description or logs aren't giving too much away but he would not have to eliminate urban micros that are hidden is some clever original way or where the cache location is so special that even he would be willing to find an LPC there.

A better ice cream analogy may be going into a small restaurant that has a sign in the window that says "Ice Cream". You go in and discover that they only have vanilla. Just as you are about to tire from checking out places that seem to only have vanilla, you find a restaurant that instead of vanilla has mocha fudge brownie ice cream and this just happens to be your favorite flavor. Later when you complain in the ice cream forums that you are tired of restaurants that have only vanilla ice cream. KBI tells you to avoid going to small restaurants and only go to ice cream parlors that have a bigger choice of flavors. If you are briansnat you respond that even the big ice cream parlors don't have mocha fudge brownie, but that you once found a restaurant once that had it so you choose to keep looking in small restaurants. Perhaps you want a law that restaurant owners need to list the flavors on the the sign in the window, so you don't have to waste time going in to the restaurant to ask what flavors they have. Or you could check the reviews on icecream.com and see what they say about the restaurant. No that would take too much time and you might be out on the road and feel like ice cream so you can't check anyway.

Or to use the prospecting analogy. The prospector knows he can look in the stream where he is likely to find nothing but gravel or he could switch to a stream where he has successfully found some flakes of gold before. However the prospector heard that once upon a time someone found a huge gold nugget in the first stream. If he can find a nugget like that he would be set for life. So he stands in the first stream and keeps finding nothing in the hope that someday he will find that one big nugget.

:(

I'm tired of vanilla ice cream :(

It gets harder and harder to find a decent vanilla ice cream with all the cheap imitation vanillas taking up all the shelf space at the store. I find I need to dig into the freezer down behind all those disappointing ones to get to the good stuff. I wish they would stop piling all those many cartons of generic vanilla on top of the stuff that's fun to eat.

One problem is that analogy is often the best way to explain your position to some one else. Sure it's annoying when the the other side attacks your analogy rather than your argument, but than just means you have to refine your analogy a bit.

I still think that the best analogy for LPC threads is the ice cream analogy. The Signal eating ice cream icon was developed during a thread on LPCs (or maybe it was micros) that had gone so far off topic that people were posting their favorite flavor of ice cream. ...

It was micros and the banning of same.