Lamppost Caches

23below

The sad part, as far as I am concerned, is that they are in boring retail lots. I actually know of an LPC that I would recommend to someone visiting Buffalo. It is in a historic location. I know of another micro that is in a great historic location but it isn't an LPC. With so many lackluster micro hides out there many people filter out micros. The result is that we miss the few that are exceptional. I am sure that there are more great micro hides in my area but unless someone specifically tells me about them I am unlikely to find them.

Which LPC do you recommend that's in a historic location? I'll have to see if I've been there yet. :unsure:

The sad part, as far as I am concerned, is that they are in boring retail lots. I actually know of an LPC that I would recommend to someone visiting Buffalo. It is in a historic location. I know of another micro that is in a great historic location but it isn't an LPC. With so many lackluster micro hides out there many people filter out micros. The result is that we miss the few that are exceptional. I am sure that there are more great micro hides in my area but unless someone specifically tells me about them I am unlikely to find them.

Which LPC do you recommend that's in a historic location? I'll have to see if I've been there yet. :unsure:

Nope, I don't see it on your found list. If you want me to tell you send me a PM. Normally I'd say "Hey, as long as you are in town check out (this)cache" without telling about what type of hide it was. If I answer your question here it gives away the hide type for that cache. Not my place as it isn't my cache.

I suggest we set up a schedule for this sort of thing, to avoid confusion.

Mondays: Name change query

Tuesdays: Road-nav gps questions

Wednesdays: Poor swag complaints

Thursdays: "HOW LONG I WAIT FOR PUBLISH?!" inqueries

Fridays: Poor log lamenting

Saturdays: "User cache rating" suggestions

Sundays: Poor quality caches

First Monday of the month can also be Virtual Cache query day, and every second Friday can be "User cache rating" suggestion day. The last Wednesday of every second month can be the indignant "I QUIT, AND YOU ALL SUCK" outrage day.

Am I missing any?

First Monday of the month can also be Virtual Cache query day, and every second Friday can be "User cache rating" suggestion day. The last Wednesday of every second month can be the indignant "I QUIT, AND YOU ALL SUCK" outrage day.

Am I missing any?

You are missing pretty picture day. Can't miss that one. It's the best day.

Carolyn

Am I missing any?

Carolyn

I think that should come on Thursday following the last Wednesday of every second month. Geocide followed by pretty pictures somehow seems fitting.

Am I missing any?

Carolyn

It's just like you to pretty up all the angst with a PPD.

Thanks.

ppffffttt weekly schedules. :unsure:

I like to track the big blow out topics.

We're just coming in the two year cycle of:

gc.com rules stink. We should all quit and start are own site.

Followed by: Why can't we have Charity Caches? gc.com stinks and hates Chinldren.

Then: Americans stink and so does gc.com

Then: Bring back virtuals

Oh come on! GC.com hates children is good any day of the week.

Nah, I'm talking about those band-wagon blowouts. You know, those times people haven't seen enough sun that they start going stir-crazy. They just have to lay into someone or something.

Edit: by the way, it's spelled Chinldren.

Edited by BlueDeuce

So some feel angst about LPCs all being the same.

Well, here's some news for ya.

WARNING. POSSIBLE SPOILER!!

All NIH caches are the same

Most all birdhouse caches are the same

Most all "hidden under a rock" caches are the same

Most all hanging in a tree in a fake pinecone/apple/pear/chirstmas ornament caches are the same.

I could go on and on but the point is, some people like them some don't. Who cares?

No angst here. Don't care what kinds of caches there are out there. I'm just happy there are caches

I have thought about putting a magnetic nano stuck to the inside lid of a lamp skirt. I assume that almost everyone would think the container has gone missing unless someone finds it and puts a giveaway in the logs.

Done it. It was fun. I did have problems with it staying in place, though. Resorted next to plexiglas with rare earth magnets attached to the plexi with JB Weld. The JB Weld stayed stuck to the plexi, while the magnets stayed stuck to the skirt. Got some very fun logs during its brief life, though! I know that there are at least two others out there, though, so let's keep quiet about this until it becomes commonplace and "lame". Mum's the word :unsure:

Most of the lamp skirts in my area are non magnetic. Velcro will work but you would have to affix it to the skirt which is agains't guidelines (unless you get permission).

SPOILER ALERT... TURN YOUR HEAD IF YOU'RE A NEWBIE!!!

:unsure:

Exactly why mine worked so well. I have found a couple that were magnetic and very small, but mine was magnetic and flat. Most are just film cans, keysafes, pillbottles or matchstick holders.

Personally, I don't like them so much, but I will find them.

On the other hand, for some inexplicable reason my youngest daughter absolutely loves LPC caches. I try to have her along when I do them because seeing how much enjoyment she gets out them makes me quite happy.

On the other hand, for some inexplicable reason my youngest daughter absolutely loves LPC caches. I try to have her along when I do them because seeing how much enjoyment she gets out them makes me quite happy.

That simply can't be true.

I can find thread after thread where people are lamenting that micros shouldn't exist because kids only like caches with swag. Therefore, it's impossible for your child to like LPCs.

Edited because I really, really broke the quoty thing.

Edited by sbell111

I can find thread after thread where people are lamenting that micros shouldn't exist because kids only like caches with swag. Therefore, it's impossible for your child to like LPCs.

His youngest daughter might be an adult, y'know. :unsure:

Has this ever happened to you?

You drive into a parking lot, the cache is a difficulty one, and the only possible place for it to be is in a lamppost. Then, you go there, and, surprise, there's the cache!

Is it just me, or are these getting really annoying? Come on, how about a little bit of creativity?

It's just you.

McDonalds is everywhere -- and I mean everywhere -- yet I never eat at McDonalds. So I don't have a problem there either, in case you were wondering.

McDonalds is everywhere -- and I mean everywhere -- yet I never eat at McDonalds. So I don't have a problem there either, in case you were wondering.

I think this type of behavior is unconstitutional. You should immediately adjust your attitude and be outraged by the presence of McDonalds everywhere, start a campaign declaring your hate of them, blame them for all sorts of social problems, and write to your congressman to have them outlawed in your state.

I think this type of behavior is unconstitutional. You should immediately adjust your attitude and be outraged by the presence of McDonalds everywhere, start a campaign declaring your hate of them, blame them for all sorts of social problems, and write to your congressman to have them outlawed in your state.

You forgot "... and personally insult people who defend the idea of even tolerating the existence of McDonalds by calling them 'Defenders of Lameness'."

You drive into a parking lot, the cache is a difficulty one, and the only possible place for it to be is in a lamppost. Then, you go there, and, surprise, there's the cache!

Is it just me, or are these getting really annoying? Come on, how about a little bit of creativity?

Yes and no. If I start out my day fresh and eager and there are a dozen LPC's in a row. Yuck. At the end of the day though if I'm hot, tired, bleeding from a string of great caches, or even a string of DNF's and I pull into Wally world and there's my LPC I can cap off my DNF's with find, pop in the store and grab a beverage and man is it ever pretty sweet.

You get out of caching what you bring into it. I find that while I don't always like them, they do have a time and place where I do.

I'll bet if their youngest daughter found a wonderful LPC and lifted the skirt and found a cache with swag that would be even sweeter than normal. As for my family, Micro's have no appeal to my family.

So a LPC with a small to normal sized container would make their daughter, and my family happy and still fit under the skirt. A lot of folks just don't seem to grasp this concept. Yes the owner can place what they want, but the owner can actually make more folks happy about the find by a tweak that leaves them with a cache that meets the spirit and intent of the LPC hide.

It's just you.

1 point to ponder:

1. Think of the people who are in wheelchairs or need scooters to get around that want to enjoy this fast food, too. McDonalds are a great find for them. :unsure:

I'll bet if their youngest daughter found a wonderful LPC and lifted the skirt and found a cache with swag that would be even sweeter than normal. As for my family, Micro's have no appeal to my family.

So a LPC with a small to normal sized container would make their daughter, and my family happy and still fit under the skirt. A lot of folks just don't seem to grasp this concept. Yes the owner can place what they want, but the owner can actually make more folks happy about the find by a tweak that leaves them with a cache that meets the spirit and intent of the LPC hide.

Of course our jr. explorer loves finding caches with swag in them, but at the same time she loves the thrill of finding a cache regardless of where's it at, or what size it is. She loves to jump out of the car & lift a lampskirt. It makes her day to say... "I found it!"

Of course our jr. explorer loves finding caches with swag in them, but at the same time she loves the thrill of finding a cache regardless of where's it at, or what size it is. She loves to jump out of the car & lift a lampskirt. It makes her day to say... "I found it!"

Huh. After the first couple finds my kids were complaining about people who left carp for swag. I always thought that was the sign of a true cacher.

Is it usually customary when placing small normal or large cache to leave at least one item of higher value to reward the FTF? Or do folks usually try to use a blend of equally valuable stuff in order to give a better variety of options?

If you are speaking of a so-called "FTF prize"... no, in my experience, it is not customary. It is sometimes done, but there's no reason, IMO, to reward them with anything other than a smiley and a blank log book.

[Edited to add: Sorry about replying to an off-topic post. I wasn't thinking]

Edited by knowschad

You drive into a parking lot, and, surprise, there's McDonalds!

Nope. On the other hand I have had this problem with caches. They don't advertise as well as a MacD's. There's no big green ammocan on a pole near the entrance.

McDonald’s is a professional for-profit capitalist business, and as such depends on keeping its potential customers happy – which in this case means keeping them informed where they are. McDonalds is out to maximize its profits, which is as it should be.

Geocaching, on the other hand, is a non-profit and amateur-driven hobby. An individual cache owner has no economic incentive to make everyone happy – he just wants to entertain the particular subset of cachers he chooses to entertain with that particular cache. Even if that subset includes only himself. Traffic counts, quality reviews and forum opinions may or may not matter to the individual cache owner.

All caching is voluntary. It is up to you the seeker to decide whether to proceed with each stage of the process. When you find yourself disappointed with the quality of a form of entertainment you know to be amateur-driven, yet one you have voluntarily chosen to pursue, you cannot rationally blame the amateur provider for your own choice. You are a voluntary co-participant, not a paying customer.

That is my assumption, anyway. I may be mistaken. If you are unhappy and feel you have been misled or misinformed by a cache owner, then you can and should ask for a cash refund on whatever you paid that cache owner to entertain you.

Good luck!

You drive into a parking lot, and, surprise, there's McDonalds!

Nope. On the other hand I have had this problem with caches. They don't advertise as well as a MacD's. There's no big green ammocan on a pole near the entrance.

McDonald’s is a professional for-profit capitalist business, and as such depends on keeping its potential customers happy – which in this case means keeping them informed where they are. McDonalds is out to maximize its profits, which is as it should be.

Geocaching, on the other hand, is a non-profit and amateur-driven hobby. An individual cache owner has no economic incentive to make everyone happy – he just wants to entertain the particular subset of cachers he chooses to entertain with that particular cache. Even if that subset includes only himself. Traffic counts, quality reviews and forum opinions may or may not matter to the individual cache owner.

All caching is voluntary. It is up to you the seeker to decide whether to proceed with each stage of the process. When you find yourself disappointed with the quality of a form of entertainment you know to be amateur-driven, yet one you have voluntarily chosen to pursue, you cannot rationally blame the amateur provider for your own choice. You are a voluntary co-participant, not a paying customer.

That is my assumption, anyway. I may be mistaken. If you are unhappy and feel you have been misled or misinformed by a cache owner, then you can and should ask for a cash refund on whatever you paid that cache owner to entertain you.

Good luck!

And I'm sure they put just as much effort in placing the cache, more or less, as you did in responding to me.

anyhoo, yes I've had a problem with trying to avoid those caches I don't care for. That okay with you? Sweet.

yes I've had a problem with trying to avoid those caches I don't care for.

Fair enough.

Each cacher has his own unique set of needs. You must therefore continually weigh the goodies versus the hassles and decide whether this is the right hobby for you.

Me, I’m staying. Your choice is up to you. If you choose to stay, however, don’t blame others for the predictable negatives that result from your choice to stay.

That okay with you? Sweet.

Relax. You posted an opinion about my opinion about LPCs; I then posted an opinion about yours. It’s just a discussion about LPCs. Don’t take it personal.

Huh. After the first couple finds my kids were complaining about people who left carp for swag. I always thought that was the sign of a true cacher.

Children learn by example. :blink::):cry:

Did ya find a cache too?

That could have made you a lot better. :blink:

Sorry, in my area either you're a local or a rev'nuer. I don't want the farmers thinking some cacher is after their whiskey still. :)

Carry an empty jar and tell 'em you're looking to purchase a refill.