I'm Losing my Right Eye Due to a Rare Cancer

Hi everyone, :unsure:

I was recently diagnosed with a Rare Melanoma Tumor in my right eye and just learned that the eye will be removed this Friday on the 28th. I only found out that I had cancer 10 days ago, so I'm still in shock right now!! I'll get my Prosthesis in a couple of months that looks like the other eye and hopefully it will move around like my other eye too. I'll probably post a video on YouTube when the Prosthesis is finished so eveyone can see what it looks like. Hope your not squeemish!!

I know things will have to change when I start geocaching again in a few weeks. I'll probably have to pick and choose the caches I go after a little more carefully now, so I don't chance hurting my only good eye in a freak accident. I also love geocaching in wilderness areas and hiking in the mountains whenever I can get a chance, but I'm a little worried about doing that in the future. The last time I was geocaching in the wilderness I came across a couple of black bears with cubs, I barely saw them with 2 eyes, much less 1 eye. I think I'll need some company from now on for the long hikes in the mountains.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about my situation:

1. Would you still keep geocaching if you lost an eye?

2. Are there other geocachers out there that only have one eye, or maybe blind in one eye that could give me some advice?

3. Any other advice from the geocaching community out there?

Jeff

Edited by LUCKYSTRIKE1

Heya Jeff,

I read your post on the NMgeocaching forums as well and wish you nothing but the best. If you ever want to cache up Los Alamos way (or somewhere in the Jemez in the middle) please let me know. I didn't respond in the local forums because we've never crossed paths... sorry for that :unsure:

I will step around 1) since I can't answer 2), I would say that you've got a really good attitude about it and seem to really be taking an incredibly courageous and logical approach to the situation. You are totally aware that your good eye is the only eye that you will have and understandably want to protect it. Being extra cautious with trees etc is a good thing (as you've mentioned) and I think bringing along a friend (from what I've seen, there are a ton of people who would drop anything to head out with you!) is an excellent option for places where you're unsure about brush etc. If I were to lose an eye, I would be lucky if I would be able to approach it as you are. I'm amazed by your courage and candor!

Best of luck on Friday and hope to see you out there soon ;) Davis

1. Would still keep geocaching if you lost an eye?

2. Are there other geocachers out there that only have one eye, or maybe blind in one eye that could give me some advice?

I feel for you with losing your eye but there are worse things that could happen. Keep that in mind if you ever feel down in the dumps about your eye. You still have one left and life isn't so bad with only one eye.

Though I haven't actually lost my eye, and in many ways my circumstances are different, I am sight disabled in one of my eyes. One of my eyes is only adequate with a peripheral level of sight. So, in essence, one eye sees, and the other just helps the good eye.

Another difference is if I lost my good eye, my other one is capable of assuming normal sight if it's needed due to an injury to my good eye. I was tested repeatedly for that when I was younger.

Yes, I would because I don't feel the sight in one eye is necessarily a handicap. I would likely wear eye protection more often, especially if caching near pokey things. Currently I wear no eye protection for most activities. I will wear protection for grinding (occasionally) but that's about it.

I have lots of advice I could give you on life with one eye. First, binoculars are a waste of a good lens. You can take them out of one side and use them for burning ants. The prism is cool to play with too. On a more serious note, you will learn to reposition yourself when needed to look into hidey places. What you can see with one side of your head is sometimes hard if the thing is on the other side of your head. You will learn to do most anything with your head slightly turned to give maximum peripheral field of view. You will curse the bridge of your nose for getting in the way. Believe it or not, you will probably adjust quite well... and definately wear eye protection near pokey things. It really wouldn't hurt to get some high quality safety glasses and wear them all the time (even if you don't need a prescription lens).

My advice is to remember that the loss of sight in one eye isn't the end of the world. You can do much more than you think and likely, with the right frame of mind, you won't even think of it after a while. Less sighted people do all kinds of things. An example is that I was once a guide for blind skiers. These folks would ski down intermediate slopes without any sight at all, only hearing the sound of my voice. If they can do that, you can geocache with good sight in one eye.

Also, I advise you to actually save the extra lenses for the binoculars in a safe place. They are interchangable from one side to the other and can save you the cost of another set of binoculars if you ever damage a lens.

I hope the cancer is cured with the surgery and you don't have any more in the future. Happy caching.

I applaud you for your positive attitude. I don't know if I would be at your level of acceptance or not. I've had vision issues all my life but they've always been correctable via glasses, contacts, etc. Never to the level of the loss of vision in either eye.

The one thing I can think of that you may wish to be careful of is your depth perception which is dependant on two eyes. Might take a bit of practice, I'm sure.

I wish you nothing but the best in the future. Your attitude is commendable. I would gladly cache with you if I were in the area.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

Best of luck to you Friday, in your recovery and caching!

When starting back out it might be helpful to go for some easy ones to get your confidence back on track and test your vision before heading to the heavily wooded areas.

I agree that eye protection is key in your case and not having to worry about the pokey things will make your hunts more fun!

Be sure to let us know how the surgery goes and your next find!

I am not missing an eye, but I do know a cacher that is:

Oneied Cooky

He has thousands of finds, so I don't think he has many issues. He has glasses with camo duct tape over the missing eye!

Yup... I was going to say the same thing. Cooky is a highly respected cacher hereabouts.

As long as he never tries to pass into our neighbor to the north.. :unsure:

Edited by bflentje

I feel for you with losing your eye but there are worse things that could happen. Keep that in mind if you ever feel down in the dumps about your eye. You still have one left and life isn't so bad with only one eye.

This has got to be one of the lamest things you can say to a guy. It's the equivalent to saying "just have another child" after a family has lost a child for whatever reason. You have no idea to the extent at which people feel emotional pain and the attempt to get someone to look past it is lame.

This has got to be one of the lamest things you can say to a guy. It's the equivalent to saying "just have another child" after a family has lost a child for whatever reason. You have no idea to the extent at which people feel emotional pain and the attempt to get someone to look past it is lame.
Lighten up Francis. I think Bittsen was only trying to be supportive and help keep the guys spirits up.

Luckystrike, at least once today take a look at a Stereogram. That's not said to be mean, just to remind you that next week you won't be able to see the images and you might have wanted one last look.

Hi Jeff,

First of all, good luck on Friday! Take care of your surgical site and recuperate till you feel up to exploring again. You can absolutely geocache with the only limitations being common sense! I lost my right eye years ago and after a bit of re-training have not let it interfere with my life one iota. I kayak, drive a motorcycle, bow and rifle hunt, and have found 4200 caches all with one eye.I even have a number of 5/5 caches under my belt.I love to bushwhack and sometimes get poked and scratched from objects "on my bad side". I wear glasses and make sure they are shatterproof polycarbonate to protect my good eye and the prosthesis. I am a little squeamish with high cliffs and ledges, but my aging body presents more of a challenge than my loss of peripheral vision. I sense that your attitude is good and that is important for the adventure you are about to begin.Don't let this change limit your activities.Keep thinking positively and above all, keep caching! Happy Trails!

Tyson Sprandel

I once had some trauma to an eye and was temporarily blinded for a few weeks before a very fortunate 100% recovery. During that time, I was very protective of my other eye. I spend a lot of time in the woods and I understand your concerns.

I also know 3 different men that have lost an eye. I was very surprised to learn that fact for all 3 of them. You'd never know it if they didn't tell you.

While your situation is certainly life changing, it doesn't have to impact the things you do. If geocaching is fun now, it will still be fun then. Last month, I saw a blind lady at a zoo. I almost felt guilty chuckling when she said "I smell the elephants". It surprised me at the time, but I think it's absolutely great.

You may be interested in the story of Steve Pigott. Steve is an evangelist that lost an eye to cancer (with very little notice). He is a highly motivational and quite humorous speaker. I have heard him speak in person about his situation and know that he has some Audio CD's available as well as downloadable MP3's. You might want to check it out to hear his perspective on things.

I wish you the best...

As my best friend and I often say (as she battles colon cancer) - Cancer Sucks!!!

However, as much as it sucks, it doesn't have to take away the things you enjoy. You'll know when you're ready to get out there again. Wear safety glasses to protect your natural eye and your prosthetic. Hunt with a friend until you get a feel for how "differently" things look to you with only one eye. But there's no reason for you to have to give it up. Cancer sucks, but being alive is pretty awesome. :unsure:

Take up night caching? Night vision monoculars are wayyyyy cheaper than the 2-eyed equivalents.

Other than that I would consider adding safety glasses to your caching bag for when you're dealing with brush. Maybe a bear bell if you're concerned about the wildlife.

I certainly wouldn't give up caching if I lost an eye - freeride mountain biking maybe, but not geocaching.

Best of luck!

Just want to wish you all the very best. I cannot see why you can't continue to geocache, but if I were in your position I would probably use some type of safety glasses. I would probably want to go caching with someone for starters...you probably won't need it, but it will make you feel more secure. If you were in this neck of the woods, we'd have you come along with us. If you are ever on vacation up here - let us know!

Take care, and please keep us posted!

I asked my wife and she said don't blink or you'll miss it.

She is legally blind in one eye but you'd never know. I don't think I knew that until we were married for a good number of years. Don't worry about it.

My grandma who lives with my family has no eyes. She doesn't cache though. Wait. She did go to an event with us once but she didn't log it. She is 92 and says "the computer is a mystery to me." She says the same thing about "the woman" who tells my uncle where and when to turn when he is driving. I think her name is Garmin. :blink:

My tiny bit of input, besides mentioning Onied Cookie, is that I dated a woman for a while that had only one eye (the other was a prosthetic). The ONLY, and I do mean ONLY problem that she had a lack of confidence on rugged trails due to her lack of stereo vision. It didn't stop her, but it did slow her down a bit.

Loss of any part of our bodies must be tougher than any of us that have not yet been there can imagine, and I feel for you with my whole heart! But at the same time, I want to encourage you in any way that I can, without minimizing what you must be going through! Please get back to us in the future and let us know how you are doing, OK?

I am not missing an eye, but I do know a cacher that is:

Oneied Cooky

He has thousands of finds, so I don't think he has many issues. He has glasses with camo duct tape over the missing eye!

Yup... I was going to say the same thing. Cooky is a highly respected cacher hereabouts.

As long as he never tries to pass into our neighbor to the north.. :blink:

What have they got against Cooky in Anoka?

Wishing the best for the OP.

Wow, you are experiencing one of my biggest fears. I feel for you. I've known several people with prosthetic eyes. One was a master cabinetmaker, and he made such beautiful pieces.

I guess my advice, not being in that situation, but knowing just a little, is to be very careful. Your depth perception is going to be off, and will take a while to get used to, so stay back from the edge of steep drop offs, and be careful driving.

And ditto on the safety glasses, I came so close to poking my eye seriously with branch once while caching. I had a baseball cap on, was walking uphill in the woods, and didn't see the branch until it scraped my eyebrow, eyelid and my cheek. It was a very close call. And a wake up call. Watch where you're going, always. Don't give up caching. It fits any lifestyle, and there are caches for everyone out there. Don't venture out alone until you are comfortable with yourself again.

You sound like a really strong person to even be able to come in here and talk about it and ask advice. I think you'll be OK. Best of luck to you.

I'm lucky enough to know a couple of people that have lost things from their body, and they live life to the fullest. I wish you nothing but the best, and hope that you don't turn the dial down on life because of this event. I'll be rooting for you, and hope that you get back out there and, "give 'em hell." Some glasses with safety lenses might be just the needed thing. Oakley makes some awesome optics these days, and my fellow "employees" rely heavily on them in harsh environments.

Don't let it slow you down. My father, who is 75, just experienced the same thing. A rare, aggressive melanoma cancer. He not only lost his left eye, but the entire eye socket, and a significant section of bone structure above, below, and alongside the eye, all the way back to his ear. Only 3 months prior did he have any indication of a problem.

My dad, at 75, is very active. Although he does not geocache, he rides horses, jetskiis, ATVs, dirt bikes, and his first love; a street bike. He rides his Gold Wing at least 2 days a week, all-day rides with a couple of his buddies.

After a 16 hour surgery in May, there is not enough structure left for a prosthetic eye, so he just has a large hollowed out hole on the side of his face/head covered with a skin graft. By July, he was driving, and by the beginning of August, he was back on his Gold Wing.

In life, we have to roll with the punches, and never let life's setbacks keep us from doing the things we love. You could wear safety goggles when caching if you really are worried about your remaining eye, but realistically, what are the odds of injuring it? How many years have you (and most people) gone without injuring either one so far?

Life is not always fair, but it's still pretty dadgum good!!!!!

I will always remember something my Mum said to me when I was diagnosed with something at age thirteen. I thought (wrongly) that my life as I knew it would be over. Wrong attitude according to her! She told me I had two options - I could either let "it" rule me, or I could rule "it." I chose the latter, and there are only a few things I cannot do.

She told me I had two options - I could either let "it" rule me, or I could rule "it." I chose the latter, and there are only a few things I cannot do.

I love this quote, and I think anyone who has ever dealt with a chronic or catastrophic illness or injury would tell you the same. I hope that all went well with your surgery, you have a speedy recovery, and are back out caching in no time!

I hope you are recovering well!

For myself, I would definitely keep caching. I only just started as it took awhile to justify the purchase of my own gps, but I have been searching out landmines for more than a few years and although there isn't really SWAG in that situation, it is rewarding in it's own way. Caching just feels good! I think the more you use what you have, the stronger you will be. My Mom is legally blind in one eye and you would never know, she forgets herself sometimes, the doctor said the brain often learns to compensate quite well when given the chance. She's excited to come out caching with me, and she has spotted things with no problems so far.

My 2 cents of advice is similar to a few other posts: Protective lenses! I pretty much wear ballistic rated sunglasses or clear safety glasses all the time out of habit and it has served me very well so far (have a pair sitting on top of my head right now as I type this!), you can get some really nice looking ones that are comfortable and that don't look like you just left the science lab. The tinted ones with the proper coating help protect from UV rays, and glasses in general help protect my eyes from those ever present pesky/pokey branches! Oakley and Wiley X make a few different options and can be found online easily.

Thanks for sharing your story, it takes courage to do that!

Best of luck to you:)

Take it slow and easy, you will adapt. And as far as the bears in the woods, just take some one, because you should always have a buddy and then you will have 3 eyes. :blink:

BTW we have a cacher here in North Texas that is legally blind and he has found 10K caches! He also has the most impressive and documented DNF counts I know of. His current DNF count is above 2500 which is more caches than I have found!

Hi Jeff,

I just saw this thread and wanted to reply. I hope the surgery went well and you're comfortably starting your recovery now. You will probably be surprised how quickly you will be able to resume your normal activities with only minor modifications.

I have only "looked" out of one eye since birth, so I know a few tricks for coping with the lack of depth perception you will probably experience.

First off, in regard to driving: Daytime driving will not pose a problem, but at night, you will want to watch your speed and try to stick to route you are familiar with. The darkness will somewhat (not completely by any means) limit your depth perception when you're in the car, but not enough to make it impossible to drive. Just be aware that you need to be extra vigilant and careful (probably not a bad idea for anyone who is driving at night, actually).

In regard to hiking: rough, rocky trails will appear to be a bit "flattened out" and you might stumble over rocks that are embedded in the ground and just sticking up a little. Things that stick up just an inch or two will pose the main problem, whereas rocks or objects just lying on the surface of the trail will be just as obvious as when you had unimpaired vision.

Getting down steep banks or inclines is my biggest problem. I'm not referring to a regular hill that you would walk down in a normal way, but a steep inlcine where you would generally need to use your hands a bit on the way down. You might find that it's easier to go down backwards (more like climbing down a ladder than descending stairs) in some cases, especially when it's very steep, almost a cliff. Or if that seems too awkward to you, get LONG hiking pole and use it to test the drop in front of you, each step of the way. My husband often has to rescue me when I'm "stuck" and he'll say "It's only 18" down", but if you can't really SEE the depth, your body won't be able to ANTICIPATE it and you'll come down too hard and risk twisting an ankle or tripping.

As far as reaching for or spotting things (caches or otherwise), don't be afraid that you won't be able to casually and normally take hold of objects or to see them. You WON'T be making a spectacle of yourself groping around for a jar of jelly on the shelf at the grocery store, nor will you have to start sideways to look at things that are in front of you. You won't have trouble pouring coffee, shooting baskets, catching a ball, hunting, threading a needle, or placing objects on a shelf either. Overall, I think you'll find that you will be able to do everything you ever did, and do it just as well, with maybe just a little extra caution on the trail in rough conditions, or when driving at night.

Good luck with your recovery, and God bless,

Barbara (Mrs. Whistler)

Hi Jeff,

I just saw this thread and wanted to reply. I hope the surgery went well and you're comfortably starting your recovery now. You will probably be surprised how quickly you will be able to resume your normal activities with only minor modifications.

I have only "looked" out of one eye since birth, so I know a few tricks for coping with the lack of depth perception you will probably experience.

First off, in regard to driving: Daytime driving will not pose a problem, but at night, you will want to watch your speed and try to stick to route you are familiar with. The darkness will somewhat (not completely by any means) limit your depth perception when you're in the car, but not enough to make it impossible to drive. Just be aware that you need to be extra vigilant and careful (probably not a bad idea for anyone who is driving at night, actually).

In regard to hiking: rough, rocky trails will appear to be a bit "flattened out" and you might stumble over rocks that are embedded in the ground and just sticking up a little. Things that stick up just an inch or two will pose the main problem, whereas rocks or objects just lying on the surface of the trail will be just as obvious as when you had unimpaired vision.

Getting down steep banks or inclines is my biggest problem. I'm not referring to a regular hill that you would walk down in a normal way, but a steep inlcine where you would generally need to use your hands a bit on the way down. You might find that it's easier to go down backwards (more like climbing down a ladder than descending stairs) in some cases, especially when it's very steep, almost a cliff. Or if that seems too awkward to you, get LONG hiking pole and use it to test the drop in front of you, each step of the way. My husband often has to rescue me when I'm "stuck" and he'll say "It's only 18" down", but if you can't really SEE the depth, your body won't be able to ANTICIPATE it and you'll come down too hard and risk twisting an ankle or tripping.

As far as reaching for or spotting things (caches or otherwise), don't be afraid that you won't be able to casually and normally take hold of objects or to see them. You WON'T be making a spectacle of yourself groping around for a jar of jelly on the shelf at the grocery store, nor will you have to start sideways to look at things that are in front of you. You won't have trouble pouring coffee, shooting baskets, catching a ball, hunting, threading a needle, or placing objects on a shelf either. Overall, I think you'll find that you will be able to do everything you ever did, and do it just as well, with maybe just a little extra caution on the trail in rough conditions, or when driving at night.

Good luck with your recovery, and God bless,

Barbara (Mrs. Whistler)

Interesting to have someone with the same issue as mine chime in.

The downhill thing is absolutely true. I have had to develop a great sense of balance due to that one. The addition of a walking pole is a great idea for a one-eyed cacher. Poking at depth going down is more important than going up but even going up sometimes i will stumble because I can't judge the distances as good as others.

I do have problems catching a ball but don't have a problem driving at night. Most of your other points are absolutely accurate.

It's weird how the human brain can adapt.

I hope the OP is doing fine and recovery is going well. I'm sure he will adapt and find his way back into the "fun" world in short time if he chooses to do so.

Poking at depth going down is more important than going up but even going up sometimes i will stumble because I can't judge the distances as good as others.

I always joke that I am the only person I know who falls UP stairs! But I also regularly fall down them too, including falling from the very top of an entire flight of uncarpeted stairs when I was only a few weeks pregnant with our second child (luckily, nothing happened to the baby). But I think this is partly a matter of being naturally uncoordinated and partly a matter of depth perception. I am sure a person who is even moderately athletic and coordinated to begin with will find that their physical abilities are great at compensating for visual irregularities.

Hello again,

It's only been 5 days since my eye surgery, but it feels like it's been 5 weeks!! Today I went in for a CT Scan and more bloodwork, which means I'm still not out of the woods yet. They also haven't told me if the cancer has spread beyond the eye, but my doctor seemed to think that it was contained within the eye, and that he didn't see any signs during surgery that it had spread elsewhere. He also said that there was very little bleeding during surgery and that the swelling and bruising wasn't too bad either, compared to other Enucleations he'd done. I should know more on friday when I get the stitches out.

I now have an implant in the eye socket that's attached to the old muscles, so the Prosthesis will move around a little bit. The worse thing about the surgury is not being able open my eyelids because their stitched closed right now, and the oxycodone they had me on knocked me out for 18 hours at a time, so I took myself off of all pain medications on tuesday night. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again, slowly but surely!! Now I'm just waiting for all the labs to come back to see if this thing has spread or if I got lucky this time.

I want to thank everyone again for all your prayers, support, advice, and encouragement!! This has definately been harder than I thought it would be, but I'll get through it somehow!! Hopefully I'll be out geocaching again within a week or two, no matter what the outcome is.

YouTube Video...3 days after surgery:

Thanks again,

Jeff

Edited by LUCKYSTRIKE1

Hello again,

It's only been 5 days since my eye surgery, but it feels like it's been 5 weeks!! Today I went in for a CT Scan and more bloodwork, which means I'm still not out of the woods yet. They also haven't told me if the cancer has spread beyond the eye, but my doctor seemed to think that it was contained within the eye, and that he didn't see any signs during surgery that it had spread elsewhere. He also said that there was very little bleeding during surgery and that the swelling and bruising wasn't too bad either, compared to other Enucleations he'd done. I should know more on friday when I get the stitches out.

I now have an implant in the eye socket that's attached to the old muscles, so the Prosthesis will move around a little bit. The worse thing about the surgury is not being able open my eyelids because their stitched closed right now, and the oxycodone they had me on knocked me out for 18 hours at a time, so I took myself off of all pain medications on tuesday night. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again, slowly but surely!! Now I'm just waiting for all the labs to come back to see if this thing has spread or if I got lucky this time.

I want to thank everyone again for all your prayers, support, advice, and encouragement!! This has definately been harder than I thought it would be, but I'll get through it somehow!! Hopefully I'll be out geocaching again within a week or two, no matter what the outcome is.

YouTube Video...3 days after surgery:

Thanks again,

Jeff

That is one hell of a shiner! With luck the tests will show good results and you can begin to put this behind you. We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Don't let it slow you down. My father, who is 75, just experienced the same thing. A rare, aggressive melanoma cancer. He not only lost his left eye, but the entire eye socket, and a significant section of bone structure above, below, and alongside the eye, all the way back to his ear. Only 3 months prior did he have any indication of a problem.

My dad, at 75, is very active. Although he does not geocache, he rides horses, jetskiis, ATVs, dirt bikes, and his first love; a street bike. He rides his Gold Wing at least 2 days a week, all-day rides with a couple of his buddies.

After a 16 hour surgery in May, there is not enough structure left for a prosthetic eye, so he just has a large hollowed out hole on the side of his face/head covered with a skin graft. By July, he was driving, and by the beginning of August, he was back on his Gold Wing.

In life, we have to roll with the punches, and never let life's setbacks keep us from doing the things we love. You could wear safety goggles when caching if you really are worried about your remaining eye, but realistically, what are the odds of injuring it? How many years have you (and most people) gone without injuring either one so far?

Life is not always fair, but it's still pretty dadgum good!!!!!

Nothing to do with eyes, but I think my story may have something to do with the human spirit, and it's desire to persevere.

By the age of 60, my Father had had six heart attacks, two quadruple bypass surgeries, and a heart transplant.

So what does Dad do. Six years after the transplant? He puts a ladder up against a tree branch and the proceeds to cut off the branch. (A true Three Stooges moment).

The result were a compound fracture to his wrist, with massive bleeding, and a broken hip. The Los Angeles Fire Department Paramedics, (bless their hearts) were on scene in about five minutes and stopped the bleeding, but pretty much had to ignore the broken hip until he was transported.

He had lost more than half of his blood. At the hospital, his wife made it clear that he was a heart transplant patient and the decision was made that they could not give him a blood transfusion. If his body rejected the transfusion, it could also trigger a rejection of the heart.

Because of the lack of blood, things got real hairy. His kidneys failed and he had to be put on dialyzes.

Due to the rejection fear, his hip was also on it's own. A week later when his blood had replenished, they did surgery to repair what they could, but replacement was out of the question because the rejection possibilities.

We made it through this and brought him home on a rented hospital bed, (what a scam). We were also provided a wheelchair. The next day, he insisted that we he put us into that chair, even thought it was a great pain to him. He's a proud man and simply wanted to use "the facilities" in private.

The next day, the most amazing thing in my life happened. I was in my house, preparing to go to Dad's, when I hear a "Honk, Honk". It's Dad, in his Buick, sitting in my driveway. "Are we going to lunch boy"

I was stunned, and basically said something that I won't repeat. "Where's you chair". Dad says, "sitting at the door to the garage, it was hard enough to drag my old a&& to to this car, you want the chair too?"

Sadly, we lost Dad to a totally unrelated cancer, in 10/07.

The fact is this man, with a broken wrist and a broken hip, drug himself 15 feet across a concrete garage floor, to get into his car, just to try to make things normal.

To the OP, things simply will not be normal for a while. You will adapt. You will learn, and you will THRIVE.

I have seen it!

Hopefully I'll be out geocaching again within a week or two, no matter what the outcome is.

Your body will adapt.

Your brain will make adjustments.

In some ways (at least for Geocaching) this could actually be helpful, since you will probably be paying more attention to what you are actually seeing, rather than what you thought you saw, or what you expected to see.

Perhaps a bit macabre, but it's interesting to note that prosthetics has advanced such that your prosthesis will actually move!

I forget what old movie it was, but I remember some guy in a card game popping out his glass eye as collateral for the bet.

I guess you won't be doing that, eh?

Hello again,

Update September 9 2009: I went to the new Cancer Research Center at UNMH today and saw a Melanoma Specialist which I just loved. She was very nice and explained everything in great detail!! It was all good news today which was all I wanted to hear for once. I got to look at my CT Scan today which was very interesting. My doctor said everything in the chest and abdomem looked normal, like my heart, lungs, liver, pancreas, etc... My bloodwork # is what had me worried because the 1st test they were normal, but the 2nd test were much higher. She seemed to think the #'s were high on the 2nd test because of the anestesia I was given during the surgery, which was a huge relief. They took more blood today just to see if it goes back to normal. The only other thing they haven't told me are the results of the Patholagy on the eye they removed. Both doctors have told me there's very little chance that it's spread as of now. I'll have to get bloodwork and CT Scans every 6 months now to see if it come back. If they can catch it early enough in the brain, liver, or lungs they can use radiation, as long as the new tumors are caught early.

I'd like to thank everyone again for their prayers and support during this time, it's definately helped get me through this a little easier. I have also started geocaching again and plan to grab a few more this week!! Nothing will stop me from geocaching, not even Cancer!!

Jeff